spouse has questions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Pepelina

spouse has questions

Post by Pepelina »

Once my husband gets his Italian citizenship..How do I get mine? I read about jure matrimonii but can't find any documentation on this. Do I just ask the Consulate? Any ideas?
TIA
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Re: spouse has questions

Post by tonyric »

Pepelina wrote:Once my husband gets his Italian citizenship..How do I get mine? I read about jure matrimonii but can't find any documentation on this. Do I just ask the Consulate? Any ideas?
TIA
The process of naturalization should be simple.

From the Italian Embassy website http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Am ... tadinanza/:
HOW TO APPLY
1. Declaration of desire to become a citizen; If the foreigner is of Italian descent (up to the 2nd degree) he/she can obtain citizenship in any of the following cases: - by serving in the Italian armed forces; - by becoming a subordinate employee of the Italian State, even abroad; - by residing legally in Italy for at least two years after reaching legal age. If the foreigner was born in Italian territory he/she can obtain citizenship by residing legally and uninterruptedly in Italy from birth up to legal age. 2. Marriage to an Italian citizen; The requirements include: legal residence in Italy for at least 6 months after marriage or 3 years of matrimony if residing abroad; valid marriage certificate; absence of criminal record; absence of impediments associated with national security. Applications for citizenship are to be addressed to the Ministry of the Interior and presented to the Prefecture in the Province of residence, if residing in Italy, or the diplomatic-consular authorities if residing abroad. 3. Naturalizzazione requirements include: 10 years of legal residence; sufficient income; absence of criminal record; renunciation of original citizenship (where foreseen). the number of years can be reduced to: 3 years of legal residence for descendents of former Italian citizens by birth, up to the 2nd degree, and for foreigners born in Italian national territory; 4 years of legal residence for citizens of European Community Member States; 5 years of legal residence for displaced persons or refugees, as well as for legal-age foreigners adopted by Italian citizens; 7 years of legal residence as the child of an Italian parent; no period of residence is required for foreigners who have served the State for a period of at least 5 years, even abroad. Application for naturalisation must be addressed to the President of the Republic (Presidente della Repubblica) and presented to the Prefecture in the Province of residence.
Pepelina

Post by Pepelina »

Thanks..I think that answers my question.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

how does one get the reports from the state police and the FBI? This criminal records you need?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I'm interested in this too since my new daughter-in-law will one day be applying. You probably can get specific answers on one of the forums that is focused on citizenship acquisition. A good site is www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org They have a dedicated section for jure matrimoni applications.