Town of Quindici (Avellino) some Stato Civile Marriages

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Town of Quindici (Avellino) some Stato Civile Marriages

Post by JamesBianco »

Some years ago, while working on my Great-Grandmother Bianco's ancestry from Quindici, Avellino I copied about 250 Stato marriage records which spanned 1877-1899 and for the surnames:

Fusco , Scibelli , Grasso , Manzi , Tranghese , Bonavita and Santaniello.

This weekend I scanned them all in and linked them to an index. In case anyone has an interest in this town or these surnames, check out the page I made here:

Quindici Marriages 1877-1899

If you are interested in my Quindici ancestry, I made a page for my great-grandmother here:

Cugini di Quindici

and a page on her personally and her Quindici Ancestors:"

Ancestors of Rosa Fusco Bianco (1898-1988)
wfb812

Re: Town of Quindici (Avellino) some Stato Civile Marriages

Post by wfb812 »

Hello,

Just wondering if some of the families connected to my mom's (A Caliendo, her dad was, we think, from Quindici) could be related to some of the names you list: could Scibelli be related to Schibelli, and Santaniello be related to Santanelli or Santanello?

Thanks,

Bill
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

wfb812 wrote:could be related to some of the names you list: could Scibelli be related to Schibelli, and Santaniello be related to Santanelli or Santanello?

Thanks,

Bill
Yes definitely, I have seen quite a few variations on the spellings once in the United States. If you could provide rough dates and names for the furthest back you know, perhaps I could connect your family to the records I have.

Jim
wfb812

Post by wfb812 »

Hi,

I'm just starting the research, but in 1910 I have a Samuel (probably Salvatore in Italy) Shibeli and his wife Fuirino, both 39. They were married in 1894, and came to this country in 1900. Their father-in-law, who was living with them at the time, is Frank Caliendo, who was 72 and came to this country in 1907. Although his wife was not listed, and presumably died by this time, he had been married for 40 years.

I'm still looking for Santanelli ...

Thanks,

Bill
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Here is the marriage record of Salvatore Scibelli to Fiorinda Caliendo, who were married November 21, 1892 in Quindici. This was taken from my Quindici (Avellino) marriages web page.

Salvatore Scibelli to Florinda Caliendo 1892 (<---Click here)

Some of the useful information on the document:

Salvatore Scibelli, age 22, born Quindici, son of Pietro Scibelli and Speranza Cava, both parents living
married
21 November 1892 Quindici
Fiorinda Caliendo , age 21, born Quindici, daughter of Francesco Caliendo and Angela Santaniello. both parents living.

Jim
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

That's fantastic James.... :D
All of the hard work by you, Cathy, Nuccia and the others to do these databases is inspiring!!! Wish more people would follow your lead!!
An amazing resource for those searching for info on family!!
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wfb812

Post by wfb812 »

Wow! Thanks so much for that!

Now, here's where we get back to that Santaniello/Santanelli thing. I don't have firm dates on the Santanelli line yet, but my mom, who was a Caliendo, and was (we think, so far) Francesco Caliendo's granddaughter, married a Salvatore Santanelli in the mid- to late-1940s. Her father was Domenico Caliendo, who came to the US around 1902.

Thanks again....
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

wldspirit wrote:That's fantastic James.... :D
All of the hard work by you, Cathy, Nuccia and the others to do these databases is inspiring!!! Wish more people would follow your lead!!
An amazing resource for those searching for info on family!!
Lee
Thanks Lee, Isn't it great how the Italian genealogy internet world is taking off? So many towns (and some provinces) are appearing online now. It's going to make our research so much easier, and connect cousins worldwide.

It's easier than people think, and I am willing to host anyone who wishes to upload records. I'll even create a web page for them.

:D
Jeffpicks

Post by Jeffpicks »

I'm trying to trace my wifes family back to Italy... they have been spelling the name SCHIBELL for many years, but I did find an old document with the spelling SCHIBELLI, which led me here, via google.

Boy do I wish I could read Italian! 8O

To make a long story longer, I found James' list of marriages in Quindici and one of them looks promising, especially when compared to the immigration record I found at ellis island.

James' list:
Guiseppe Scibelli and "Crucia" Manzi m: 1893 (number 006)

Ellis Island:

ENRICHETTA MANZI with three sons, Pietro, Salvatore, Luigi, arriving in 1904 to go to her husband Guiseppe in Asbury Park, NJ.

Looking at the scanned record, the name CRUCIA looks to me to be ENRICA ... which would make more sense, IF it's the right family.

It looks like Guiesppes father is PIETRO, but I can't make out the parents of (I'm calling her) Enrica...

My wife's grandfather was LOUIS, is this the common 'americanization' of LUIGI ?

Thanks for the great resource! I'm more hopefull now of finding something to go on!

Regards,
Jeff
wfb812

Post by wfb812 »

Hi Jeff,

Are you in Asbury Park? I have a distant cousin who is trying to translate the 1892 marriage certificate between Salvatore Scibelli and Fiorinda Caliendo supplied to me by James Blanco. (My mom was a Caliendo). I'm pretty sure Scibelli at some point became Schibell.

Bill
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

That could be "Errica", the handwriting is difficult. But you are probably right, that is definitely an E and not a C.. my bad.

The essential info:

27 May 1893

Giuseppe Scibelli age 31 son of Pietro Scibelli and Speranza Cava (while it certainly does not look like "Cava" on this record, I have established this is her surname from Giuseppe's brother Salvatore's marriage in 1892 to Fiorinda Caliendo)

to Errica? Enrica? Manzi, age 24 daughter of Filippo Manzi and Clementina Rega.

here is the exact image if anyone else wants to take a shot at it...

Giuseppe Scibelli
wfb812

Post by wfb812 »

James:

Do you read Italian??

Bill.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Not fluently, but having worked with tens of thousands of Italian documents over the years I can extract the vital information from The Stato records (which is what we are working with here).
wfb812

Post by wfb812 »

Ok. I finally found someone here in NJ (a cousin of a cousin) who is fluent, and he's trying to translate the Scibelli-Caliendo marriage record.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Looks like you are related to Jeffpicks , as his Giuseppe and your Salvatore were brothers!