scicily from 1910 to 1920

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
anthonyg

scicily from 1910 to 1920

Post by anthonyg »

my grandmother was born in 1910 and came to america in 1920. Does anyone know what it was like in scicily at that time? she lived in yoppolo. All i remember her telling me was that there was very little to eat. I think they had a small farm and lived off of that.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: scicily from 1910 to 1920

Post by nazca »

Hi,
i think the town is Joppolo Giancaxio in Agrigento province. Thi is the official website (only in italian ): http://www.comune.joppologiancaxio.ag.i ... /index.asp
There is a "virtual tour" with video and pictures (fotografie)

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Joppolo you will come up with two Jopppolo (no other attachment) located in Calabria and your grandmothers town of origin Joppolo Giancaxio. If you click on that name after it comes up the website for that town will come upindicating the adminstrative divison of the town. The Municipio is the address for any records you wish to request from that towns' Uffico di Stato Civile. If you go to the right hand side there is a tourist website for the town as well starting with the www in blue.

If you go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html you can obtain birth,marriage and death records. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Anthony G the period between 1910-1920 was one of deep political turmoil, famine, poverty and disease. In 1870 Northern Italy descended upon the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, stripped it of its gold reserves, shipped all the factories north and devastated the land. Northern Nobility took over huge tracts of land leaving peasants landless and penniless and this is why 40% of Sicily and most of southern Italy immigrated to the USA (fortunately the US civil war was over and the USA industrialization period began.Manpower was needed for everything from roads, railroads, dams, streets, canals, factories, mining, farming, agriculture of every type etc etc) The demand for labor enabled your granparents and mine and millions of other ancestors to immigrate and find a new life inthe USA. I am sure your grandmother recounted the woes they experience.

To be honest since WW11 was over the North bent over backwards to bring southern Italy up to par with the north spending billions of Lire and Marshall plan funds to make Italy one economically secure nation to make up for the abuses of the unification of Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~