Translate Latin Marriage Record to English

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
xz5bz9
Rookie
Rookie

Translate Latin Marriage Record to English

Post by xz5bz9 »

Attached is marriage record 15 Nov 1739 for Vittorio, alias Galluzzo, Cavataio (Nicolo/Giovanna) to Fara Ventimigilia (Giovanni Battista/Francesca).

Can you translate the document? Specifically need to know if ages of bride and groom are listed. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVLNXuJ
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Translate Latin Marriage Record to English

Post by Italysearcher »

There are no ages mentioned. When I have seen it mentioned the full date is given and sometimes even the date of 'cresima' confirmation.
It doesn't contain any other useful information other than the names of the couple and their respective parents.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
xz5bz9
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xz5bz9 »

Ann - Thanks for your help. I'll have to find another means of determining their birth dates. Also looks like my Italian research requires that I learn some Latin. Thanks again!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You do not give the town where the marriage took place in Italy which should be the parish where the bride resided in Italy. Should you find the town then you can write to the church and I can furnish you with the address. Please get back. =Peter=
~Peter~
xz5bz9
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xz5bz9 »

Peter - Vittorio was from Cinisi and Fara, I believe, was from Favarotta, Sicily. They were married in Favarotta at Saint Rosalia Church. Since he was born 30 Nov 1713 I assume she was born around that timeframe.

Maybe you can help me out with another issue. I don't have a clear picture of Favarotta and Saint Rosalia Church. Here's what I know:
1) The area identified as Contrada Marina (about a dozen blocks), behind the chapel of Maria Santissima della Provvidenza, the residents called Favarotta.
2) I have microfilm records from FHL that are from Santa Rosalia church in Favarotta 1739-1746.
3) While in Terrasini last week I saw an abandoned church on Piazzeita S. Rosalia. Maybe this was Santa Rosalia church.
4) Was told that there was a connection between Santa Rosalia and Maria Santissima delle Grazie in Terrasini (which I did find and visit). They are only a few blocks apart.

So, how do I confirm my "idea" that Favarotta had two churches--Maria Santissima della Provvidenza (which is still open today) and Santa Rosalia. When (and I don't know when) Santa Rosalia closed that Maria Santissima delle Grazie took over the records?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

As you know Favarotta Scalo is a frazione of Licata 82034. There seems to be a problem since none of the churches you mention are listed for Licata. However, research can be made by sending an e-mail to the Licata Mother Church at their archive-research unit at referente@chiesamadrelicata.it

There is a website for listings of parish churches in each comune but it is apparently not working at this time necessitating me to go to the Archdiocese. =Peter=
~Peter~
xz5bz9
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xz5bz9 »

The Favarotta I am referring to is in Terrasini (PA). (You can see it on mapquest.) There is another Favorotta in AG, but that's not the one I am interested in. I was not able to find anything on the "Favarotta Scalo is a frazione of Licata 82034". Anyway, I think I need to contact the priest at Maria Santissima delle Grazie to determine if he has the records from Santa Rosalia. What do you think?