Angino's from Montaguto Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cholcomb

Angino's from Montaguto Italy

Post by cholcomb »

I am looking for any information about my father's family. To the best of my knowledge, my great grandfather was Antonio Angino and his wife was Beatrice Domenica. They were born in Montaguto Italy in the late 1800's. My grandfather was Alfred Angino and he immigrated to the US in 1921. My grandmother's mother was a Bruno also from Montaguto. Any information abouth the family in Italy or decents thereof would be most appreciated.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Angino's from Montaguto Italy

Post by vj »

Hello!
Is this the correct ship manifest?
Thanks, Valarie

page 2

24 Sep 1921, SS Guglielmo Peirce, Naples to NY

Alfredo Angina 17 (abt 1904)
- single
- last residence Montaguto
- in Montaguto, father Antonio
- destination Newtown Center Mass
- joining uncle Crescenzo Angina at edit: correction 303 Nolantow Street - probably Nahanton Street, Newtown Center, Mass
- born in Montaguto
---

Italian Records:

Your nearest Family History Center has records for Montaguto on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

film notes for Montaguto

Topic: Italy, Avellino, Montaguto - Civil registration

Titles: Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1910 Montaguto (Avellino).
Ufficio dello stato civile
---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Famly History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center

Here's a helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from Family Search (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Do these records belong to your grandparents?
Thank you

SSDI

Name: Alfred Angino
SSN: 043-07-xxxx
Born: 7 Nov 1904
Died: Jul 1966
State (Year) SSN issued: Connecticut (Before 1951)
---

Connecticut Death Index, 1949-2001

Name: Alfre Angino
Death Date: 9 Jul 1966
Death Place: Winchester, Litchfield, Connecticut
Birth Date: abt 1905
Marital Status: Married
Spouse: Filo
State File #: 15168
Residence : Winchester, Litchfield, Connecticut
---

SSDI

Name: Filomena M. Angino
SSN: 043-07-xxxx
Last Residence: 06098 Winsted, Litchfield, Connecticut
Born: 27 Oct 1906
Died: 26 Aug 1988
State (Year) SSN issued: Connecticut (Before 1951)
---

Connecticut Death Index, 1949-2001

Name: Filamena M Angino
Father's Surname: Serluco
Death Date: 26 Aug 1988
Death Place: Winchester, Litchfield, Connecticut
Birth Place: Connecticut
Birth Date: 27 Oct 1906
Marital Status: Widowed
Spouse: Alfre
State File #: 19219
Industry: WINSTED HARDWARE
Residence : Winchester, Litchfield, Connecticut
Address: 19 Rockwell St 06000
---

Was this Filomena's brother?
Hartford Courant, The (CT) - May 21, 1996
Deceased Name: ANGELO T. SERLUCO

Angelo T. Serluco, 78, of Glendale Avenue, of Winsted, died Monday (May 20, 1996) at his home, after a short illness.
He was the husband of Agnes (Winn) Serluco.
Born in Winsted, Dec. 7, 1917, the son of the late Gaetano and Marietta (Bruno) Serluco, he had lived here all of his life ...
cholcomb

Post by cholcomb »

Hello,
Thanks all for the quick response. To both replies, the information looks correct to me. I am trying to trace their history in Italy as well as determine the extended family connections. I would really like to make contact with any living relatives. Thanks again for all your assistance.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I'll send you a PM with the entire text of Angelo Serluco's 1996 obituary with survivor's names, in case you don't have them
Valarie

This may help you locate family currently living in Italy.

White pages:
http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

LDS Family Search Letter Writing Guide

Form Letter to a Possible Relative
cholcomb

Post by cholcomb »

Thanks for the reply. Yes Angelo Serluco was my grandmother's brother. I would very much appreciate the complete obituary for my great uncle. I am very new at this type of research. Should I be looking at records with the last name Angina? Does anyone know of any living relatives for the Anginos?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!

At the top of the page, on the right side of your screen under 'User Info' you should see your 'Inbox'. I sent the obituary to your mail.

Vital records should be spelled correctly (birth, marriage, military, death). Other records like census & ships manifests may be spelled wrong.

Do you need your grandmother's family's census records?

Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

cholcomb wrote: Does anyone know of any living relatives for the Anginos?
Angino Family, US

In case you haven't seen it, here's a recent obituary for Crescenzo Angino's daughter
(Crescenzo was the uncle your grandfather Alfred was joining in Newtown Center in 1921)
Julia (Angino) Vercollone, 91, of Lincoln, died Thursday, April 23, 2009, at Wayside Hospice in Wayland.
Born in Newton on May 14, 1917, she was the daughter of the late Crescenzo Angino and Lucia (Ciasullo) Angino. She attended Newton schools and was a 1934 graduate of Newton High School ...
the 1998 obituary for Crescenzo's son Jerry:
Boston Herald (MA) - March 2, 1998
Jerry R. Angino, 89, of Newton, retired teacher
Jerry R. Angino of Newton, a retired Newton teacher and guidance counselor, died Saturday at Deaconess Glover Hospital in Needham after an illness. He was 89.
Born in Newton, Mr. Angino was a lifelong resident. He attended Newton High School and Fitchburg State Teachers College in 1932 ...
and the 1995 obituary for Crescenzo's son Francis:
Boston Globe, The (MA) - April 18, 1995
FRANCIS ANGINO, 90
WAS FOUNDER OF CONSTRUCTION FIRM
A funeral Mass will be said today for Francis Angino of Newton and Key Biscayne, Fla., founder and chairman of the Massachusetts Electrical Construction Co. in Brighton, who died of heart failure Friday in Newton- Wellesley Hospital.
He was 90. Mr. Angino was born in Italy and immigrated to the United States as a child.
He attended Newton schools and graduated from the Lowell Institute ...
(the rest of the text of these obituaries is in your mail)
---

Alfred Angino's uncle Crescenzo

1920 census

Home in 1920:
303 Nahanton Street
Newton Ward 5, Middlesex, Massachusetts

head Cristy Anzino 46
wife Lucy Anzino 41
son Antonio Anzino 17
son Francis Anzino 14
son Michiel Anzino 12
son Jerry Anzino 10
son Earnest Anzino 7
daughter Rony Anzino 5
daughter Virginia Anzino 3

Note: 303 Nahanton is the address of the historic Angino Community Farm
http://www.newtoncommunityfarm.org/angino_farm.htm
cchaotic2006

Post by cchaotic2006 »

vj and cholcomb,
this is very interesting. Could I also have copies of the obits, as I am working on a tree of people who emigrated from Montaguto (my father's birthplace). Since given and surnames are often repeated I have a hard time teasing out relationships. For example, I have 2 Alfred Angino's: one born abt 1894, is widowed on the 1930 Winchester, CT census with son Angelo age 12 b CT and sister Philemon 23 b CT (lives next to Thomas Serluco and family - Thomas Serluco 55, m @ 23, owns, imm 1902, washer hosery; wife Maria M 50, m @ 18 imm 1904, 3 children all b CT: Florence 26 pin maker, Carmelia 15, Edith 17 clerk novelty store) and another born in 1904 married to Philomena Serluco. So one Alfred has a sister Philemon and another is married to a Philomena, sounds fishy:)
FYI - The 1907 arrival of Lucia Ciasullo and sons Antonio 3 and Filemon 2 all born in Greci, join husband/father Crescenzo @ 3 North Square, Boston. Crescenzo arrived NY 13 Mar 1905 and went to Gennaro Anzivino in Newton.
My mother used to take us to the farm on Nahanton St to buy tomatoes and corn. Happy hunting, HTH, claudia
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello Claudia!
I PM'd you the obituaries
Valarie
cholcomb

Post by cholcomb »

Claudia,
So happy to get your post! I just returned from Boston where I visited the farm on Nahanton Street. I am also working to piece together family history. Here is what I have so far. My grandfather; Alfred Giovanni Angino was born in Montaguto in 1904. He immigrated to the US in August 21, 1921. I am a little fuzzy in this area because one course of info says that Crescenzo was my grandfather's uncle and other info states that my grandfather was Crescenzo's half brother. I am trying to go back in records to verify which information is correct. I do know that my great grandfather; Antonio Angino was married twice; his first wife passed away. My grandfather Alfred) married Filomena Serluco. My grandparents lived next door to the Travelini family. Edith Travelini (Serluco) was my grandmother's sister. Edith did have a son named Thomas. My grandmother's other siblings were Antone, Fiorenza, Angelina, Carmela and Angelo.

My father, worked many summers on the farm in Newton and he is very excited about linking together the family history. I know it is very confusing because so many of the names are the same. I am writing letters to some folks that I have addresses for to try to get more information. The problem is that many of these addresses are old and may not be valid any longer. I do know that the information above is absolutely correct. Thomas Travalini and my father were first cousins and were very close. Tommy passed away about a year ago and this was very hard on all of us. My father had a younger brother Donald who also passed away a few years ago, they were all very close.

Any new info you could provide would be most helpful. I am having a lot of difficulty finding birth information from the folks in Monteguto. It is not a large town so everyone is probably related or knows someone who is. I have pictures of Monteguto as well as the city crest. I look forward to hearing from you and gaining any new knowledge. Thanks so much!
cchaotic2006

Post by cchaotic2006 »

vj and cholcomb,

vj - thank you so much. How are you able to pull up the whole obit?

ccholcomb,
It was nice to hear from you. Based on your info and the obits from vj I'll need to make some changes. If you email to my handle + yahoo.com I'll invite you to the town tree that I and a person I "met" here are working on. It has several Angino's and Serluco's (also spelled Serlucco and Serluca) in it although some people may be "blends". Besides sharing, I'd love any input you could give. I hope to clean it up, and make it public.

Some possible leads for you: 1) grecicousins.com has crescienzo angino son of antonio and filomena corrozzo, marries Lucia in Greci 14 Feb 1901 and a brother Raffaele marries Carosena Pucci in Greci 19 Jan 1905. It has several people from Montaguto and includes a surname index. The info seems fairly reliable and is often sourced. 2) there is an Antonio Angino that lives in/near Montaguto that has written two books on its history and culture. My contact says that Antonio doesn't speak English so if you are language impaired like me that may present a problem unless you know someone who can, but it would be worth it as he is very knowledgeable. 3) on facebook there is a young Italian Antonio Angino who has a friend Michele Pilla that might be a good contact. 4) I've ordered a birth microfilm of Montaguto (approx dates 1866-1908) and would be happy to try to decipher out some birth info for you. It may be slow going as I don't read, write or speak Italian, but I'll give it a shot. I'd probably start with Alfred b 1904 and try to work backwards.

For my personal tree some surnames from Montaguto that I am researching include Conte, Iannarone, D'Allocco, and also Bruno but I don't have any given names yet. Bruno, Anzivino and Schiavone seem to be very large families there. Wish I had started this while my dad was still alive because he was really good with family history; this is a recent interest for me that is fascinating. Unfortunately there are few left that I can talk with; you are lucky to still have some of those contacts.
Happy hunting.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
The obituaries are from GenealogyBank (subscription)
They usually have a 30 day trial for abt $10
http://www.genealogybank.com/gbnk/keyword.html
patriciaangino

Post by patriciaangino »

My name is Patricia Angino. My grandfather was Antonio and his wife was called Carmela Frano in Angino. My father is Nicodemo, now aged 81 and he had a brother Michele. Antonio passed away circa 1930 and Carmela passed away circa 1933. My mother is Maria Grazia Frano in Angino ie, my parents are 1st cousins. At this moment only remember one of Antonio's brothers ie, Giovanni. Will enquire with my father this weekend re other siblings.
I actually know very little of the Anginos as obviously my dad was orphaned early in his life and would love to know even more about them. I actually have the book entitled the history of Montaguto written by the former mayor - Antonio Angino and I know he's my dad's cousin!
jmeals13

Post by jmeals13 »

Hello,
My name is Joe Martin and my mother's madien name is Bruno and is also from Montaguto Italy. from what she tells me almost all the Bruno's from Montaguto are related and she visits them every year or two and might know something about the Angino Family I will call her Monday, I do not know how familiar you are wtih Montaguto buy it is a very small town so she may have some information for you.
Regards,
Joe