Barracane Surname History

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
abar4181

Barracane Surname History

Post by abar4181 »

I have started to trace my family history and have discovered when my father came to Australia his surname changed from Barracane to Barracano over time and was noted in his immigration file which I have obtained. I wondering if anyone out there has any history on this surname.

Thanks
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Barracane Surname History

Post by suanj »

It are not precise infos abt this surname, originated in Bari (Apulia, IT) area... Barracane, Barracani, Barracano are all similar versions.....
" Specifico di Bari, Barracano, quasi unico Barracani, potrebbero derivare da un soprannome originato dal fatto di essere il capostipite o un arabo o abituato ad indossare vesti come il barracano derivato dall'arabo barcan (classico indumento grezzo nordafricano di lana di capra o di pelo di cammello), forse in quanto mercante che trafficava appunto con quelle zone."
http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 002are.htm
practically, it is explained that the last name can have origin from use of first old ancestor of to wear the barrakan/barcan (Arabic clothing)...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
abar4181

Post by abar4181 »

thanks for the info greatly appreciate your efforts.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

To complement the information concerning the surname Barracane, there is no listing for Barracane or something similar are listed in the Italian surname dictionary as being Italian in origin. The surname is either local in origin based upon a nickname, job activity or based upon a dialect word or imported from abroad and italianized. =Peter=
~Peter~
abar4181

Post by abar4181 »

Thanks for you efforts Peter it was greatly appreciated.