Italian or Sicilian Military Uniforms

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
jackmess

Italian or Sicilian Military Uniforms

Post by jackmess »

:arrow: I have an old family photo that I believe was taken in 1850-1855.
The man (I think is my great grandfather) has a military uniform with a large, single, 5 pointed star on the points of his collar (both sides).
He has spurs and leather boots or leather over his shins down to his shoes.
He has a saber and is leaning on a podium where his hat sits by his hand.

I want to find out/figure out what army uniform would this be? Was this calvary? Was this Italian or Sicilian military?

Where do I look to find out? :roll:

Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Italian or Sicilian Military Uniforms

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jackmess you might want to send a foto or good copy of the uniform to the Italian Army historical archive at:
Esercito Italiano
l'archivo storico
Via XX Settembre
Roma, Italy

You might want to send your request in Italian,however if needs be a request in english might be ok as well. =Peter=
~Peter~
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Jackmess
welcome to the forum,
Try to load a little size of your picture to this forum so we can search a similar uniform.
Do you know where GGF was born? In 1850 Italy was divided in two kingdom and Pontifical States and other states.

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
jackmess

Post by jackmess »

My great grandfather was from Mussomeli, Sicily.
He was 60 years old in 1893 when he came to the USA.

I have tried to attach a .jpg of him but it doesn't appear to work for me?

:?:
jackmess

Post by jackmess »

This is the photo of the soldier
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

After 1815 Sicily was part of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies which was in 1850-1855 under french control(bourbons) but in 1860 Garibaldi freed Sicily, southern Italy and the city of Napoli from the French. He may very well have served in the Sicilian-French army during the 1850-55 period. =Peter=
~Peter~
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Jackmess

take a look to this website : http://www.brigantaggio.net/brigantaggi ... /Prima.htm
there are uniform from 1850 to 1860 used by "regno delle due sicilie" army.
I can't see your picture on forum....

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jackmess In the evnt that you wrote to Italy, please get back to us with the response you receive from the Italian army museum in Rome since the museum has three separate locations and I am curous to know where uniform section is located. Thanks. =Peter=
~Peter~
jmunoz1969

Post by jmunoz1969 »

I have this same exact picture as you describe. It is my great grandfather, but I believe it to be taken towards the turn of the 20th century. He was in the states by WWI. Wondering if you ever found an answer about your photo.

Janice Samaritoni
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If your Grandfather was a 'contadino' take a really close look at the photo (I couln't view it for some reason).
It was common for photographers to 'dress up' people at their local festa for a photograph. Look at the trousers - do they match the jacket? Is he wearing the hat? or just holding it? (It was considered bad to wear a hat you weren't entitled to) Look at the ground below the backdrop - does it look like dirt?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.