Surname Frucci from Filadelfia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
autohcat

Surname Frucci from Filadelfia

Post by autohcat »

I am looking for information on my Great Grandfather's family. I know he was born in Filadelfia, and according to a loosely thrown together version of our family tree, he was born in 1873. He died in the U.S. in 1941 and not much of his family origin is known by those of us still living. I was given some information by a friend of the family but I don't believe it to be correct. The friend said he was born in 1894 (21 yrs difference) and that he traveled to the U.S. in 1903 on the Prinzess Irene at the age of 16. None of the numbers match. He also gave me what is supposedly his citizenship # but I don't know what to do with that to gain any more info. I would appreciate any help and or direction since I am very new to this process. Thank you for any help.
autohcat

Re: Surname Frucci from Filadelfia

Post by autohcat »

My Great Grandfather's name was Rosario Frucci.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

What is the number that you received for his citizenship.? I would not rely on dates of birth or ages until you determine just what the facts are and the town of origin he came from in Italy. t may veryt well be that he entered the uSA at a port other than NYC, like Boston or Philadelphia or baltimore. I would go to www.NARA.com and click under immigration and then forms and then send form 81 (all passenger arrivals inthe USA) to NARA in Washington. D.C. I will look up the pricess Irene entries and see where she came in during 1903 but don't count opn the year either. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The POriunzess Irene made6 entries into NY harbor on 4/9,5/13/6/25/9/10/10/14 and 11/27, 1903. Just for your info and start of correct info buildup. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are no Frucci entering the UDSA at NYC on the Princezz Irene. The case looks good for the form 81 and another port other than NYC at ellis island. Peter
autohcat

Post by autohcat »

the Citizenship # is #1052097 issued on July 29, 1918 in Borger NJ.
I have found the and entry on June 24, 1903 for the Prinzess Irene for a Rosario Fruci (mispelled possibly) age 16 traveling alone. This I believe is the one he was talking about. But the ag of this traveller does not match either of the birthdates I have. I am quite sure of the name of the town he was born in, Filadelfia< because my Grandmother and my Great Uncle both had told me before they died that that was his birthplace.
Is there a site I can look up this # for additional info or do I need to file the doc 81?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Not for the moment. I think the name is not Borger but Bergen New jersey and if you go to www.Nara.com and under naturalization seek out Bergen New Jersey and the index for your grandfather by number if that is what they have. The records for Bergen on the Family History Library for Bergen New Jersey only go to 1906 and then after you have tyo go to NARA. Step at a time. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

just thought you would like to know there are no Fruci in Filadelfia in Italy so that there is no likelihood that his brothers or cousins surnamed Frucci are not there. Howver, if you go to the nearest family history librayr of the Mormon church and rent out the civil records for Filadelfia, Province of Catanzaro, Calabria ($3.00) and they go from 1809 toi 1861. You can research your family back to 1809 if you come to know the birth date or birth year of Rosario Frucci which took place after 1861 but records of his birth can be obntained once you know the year. You can always write to Filadelfia and furnish them with the dtae of birth you found on Ellis Island even though there is a mispelling since ths ships manifest will be correct by age and from that you can ascertain the year of birth. I wish you had told me what the name of the passenger was thast you saw as a possiblilty and the year of his birth. Get back to me and then I wilkl give you the address to write to Fuiladelkfia for his birth record. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In Filadelfia (Catanzaro/Italy) exist Fruci surname, just spelling, very diffused, and not Frucci..
suanj
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

there are a whole bunch of Fruci family in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. We are not really related? (being Italian you know how it is...everybody is either a cousin, or a camare, or a compare etc.) but I know for a fact that they came from Filadelfia. You may get some answers from someone there regarding your inquiries.

Joe.
autohcat

Post by autohcat »

thanks Joe I will try there also. I am sort of running into some obstacles on this end with dates. I have located my Great grandfather on the 1930 & 1920 census and the information he gave to the taker is confusing at best. I know they didn't speak english to well (as a matter of fact my Great grandmother never did). But the listing for when the came to America is listed in 1920 as 1894 (he would have been 21) and in 1930 as 1917 (which would make him 44). I am trying to verify either date but so far have not been too successful. I am also still unsure of the correct spelling of the last name. I know on the census its spelled Frucci, but had heard rumors years ago that the second "c" was added after he arrived here. My Grandfather also told me that my Great grandfather was born in Sicily but later my Grandmother told me he was from Filedelfia. Both passsed many years ago and am still trying to sort out the truth. Thank you for your help perhaps there is someone there who will know. I do know listed on the 1920 census a Frank Frucci was listed as living with them and was listed as a brother. But no Immigration dates were recorded. hanks again for your help everyone.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There were 120 Fruci and 32 Frucci surnamed persons who entered at Ellis Island, NYC so you can have your pick of names although money goes on Fruci but you never know?? Where in SDicily was he born and you can also write away to Filadelfia for his birth record and see what comes of that? Peter
autohcat

Post by autohcat »

I don't know for sure if he was born in Sicily, just some thing I remember my Grandfather telling me. My Grandfather died in 1982, long before I had the time or inclination to research this, (was busy raising my family). Time and information lost! Now the only living second generations are a two Great Uncles and their recolections sre sketchy: both are in their 80's. I have found an entry through Ellis Island dated September 19, 1923 for a Rosario Fruci who was a naturalizes citizen living in Niles Michigan (same city as my Great grandfather) but it shows him as 30 years old, my great Grandfather would have been 50. The manifest was typed so no misread on the age it is very clear. It gives the naturalization # as 152097 in Borgen Co. N.J. July 29, 1918. I don't know of any realatives in the Niles area that were also named Rosario, but there were several cousins in the Niles area so anything is possible. This is like a puzzle that has pieces thrown in from different puzzles. I can't even find a record of my Great grandfathers death through social security. I know he died in 1941. My mother has found a copy of my Grandfather's Baptism papers (all in Italian or Latin) and I am trying to get that translated (my Grandfather refused to teach me Italian because he said the Italian he spoke with his mother was a bastardized version of Italian and was nothing like the native language). I do know that all of the children were born in the U.S. and the oldest was born in 1902 so I can eliminate a few names. Thank you for your help Ptimber.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is only one Fruci in Loreto Michigan. Go to the www.infospace and look up the number and give that person a call. There are no other Fruci or Frucci in Michigan listed. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 2883121853
Rosario(Ros.=Rosario) Fruci, age 22 in 1896, arrival May 7 1896.. this are very probable for birthdate.. probable born in 1874 or last months 1873...suanj