USCIS vs. NARA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
msecc
Rookie
Rookie

USCIS vs. NARA

Post by msecc »

Can someone tell me what the difference is between these two places when requesting documentation? NARA is much cheaper than USCIS? Would they return the same documents?
Thanks,
Mike
mler
Master
Master

Re: USCIS vs. NARA

Post by mler »

NARA does not have Certificates of Naturalization. It will have (if your ancestor naturalized in the federal courts) the declaration, petition and oath.
msecc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by msecc »

Thank you for clearing that up.
Now off to USCIS...
msecc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by msecc »

Does the info from USCIS have to be certified and appostilled for the NY Italian Consulate?
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CowryShells »

The naturalization papers do not have to be translated or apostilled. I did get certified copies of the declaration, petition, and oath from the state archives.
Darpino

Post by Darpino »

How long does it take for the USCIC or whatever its called to send the certificate of naturalization documents?
msecc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by msecc »

I'm not sure... It almost looks like a two part process.

One to get the index information (at $20). It looks like from the website they are processing April request right now.

Two to request the actual document ($20-$35).
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

If I might weigh in here, I've just gone through one process and received the certificate.

I started with my local NARA office in Northern California. What they had on file for my GF was a naturalization index card, which gave the petition number and certificate number. They told me that various courts handled naturalization cases, not just the federal courts, so records were scattered. However, a copy of all naturalization certificates were held at USCIS. In my GF's case, he was naturalized in a superior court, and those records were later transferred to a local library, where I could view (but not copy) the petition.

Meanwhile, I applied online to the USCIS genealogy section for the records:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD

Since I had the naturalization certificate number from NARA, I skipped the initial index search and filed a direct record request. That was the end of March. And last week I received a reply from USCIS Genealogy in Washington with the entire file: certificate, petition, consolidation file. Attached to that package was another cover letter dated June 12 from USCIS in Lee's Summit, MO, thanking me for my FOI request of June 10 and explaining the documents they provided.

So the way I understand it now is that an online request goes to Genealogy which sends it to the MO office which fulfills the request and returns it to the Washington office which sends it to the requester. In the process, you get everything in the naturalization file, and the petition is redacted to blank out personal info about possibly living people. May be cumbersome, but it seems to work.

The USCIS page referenced above notes that if you just need the certificate for dual citizenship purposes, you can indicate "Dual Citz--Natz Certificate Only" on your request, and this will speed up things, since there isn't the Privacy step. I was happy to see the other documents, though, and the four months didn't seem long to wait, especially since I was busy with other dual-citizenship tasks, like getting apostilles and translations.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Jerry
Darpino

Post by Darpino »

so it takes about 2 months?
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

More like three to four in my case (end of March to mid July). And I had the certificate number to give them, so I didn't have to go through the step of searching the index.

You can see how their schedule is doing by looking at the bottom of this page:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD

They update the page every month or so with the status of the queue.

Best,
Jerry
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Great info Jerry! I had to submit my request to USCIS to search for the naturalization certificate number because we were unable to locate any naturalization info on one particular relative for dual citizenship purposes.

I submitted my request in early June, so it looks like I have a few more weeks before I hear from them. Fingers are crossed. Good luck to everyone!
mishy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mishy »

Thanks for that info, Jerry. I wish I had known to write "Dual Citz-Natz Certificate Only" on my request, as I am still waiting for the naturalization papers since Nov. 08. I did get a response 2 weeks ago from an email I sent asking why I haven't received my papers. Their reply was since the records requested contain third party info, it was necessary that the records be forwarded to the FOIA program for review prior to release, which could take up to two more weeks to complete and return the records to USCIS office before mailing directly to me.........Live and learn!
jgio

Post by jgio »

I have gone through the USCIS option and received my documents, but I need them certified, or so says the citizenship application. USCIS Genealogy FAQ states they do not certify records.

Any thoughts on how to get these certified?
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

Contact your consulate- most of them do accept the uncertified USCIS documents- they simply haven't updated their sites since USCIS switched from FOIA to the Genealogy program last year.
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

Contact your consulate- most of them do accept the uncertified USCIS documents- they simply haven't updated their sites since USCIS switched from FOIA to the Genealogy program last year.