Declerant Alien

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
PMCR1966

Declerant Alien

Post by PMCR1966 »

My Great Grandfather Emilio Piscitelli declares himself a declerant alien on his 1918 War Registration Card. On the 1910 Census it appears to say he is a naturalized alien but I'm not really sure if that is what it says. Can anyone tell me how I can find out if he was naturalized and when. I am seeking Italian citizenship through my grandfather Peter Piscitelli who was born in 1909.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Declerant Alien

Post by vj »

Hello!
Is this the correct WWI Card & census?
Did your family only live in Manhattan?
Thanks! Valarie

1918 WWI Card

Guide to finding online naturalization records:
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/naturalization.html
---

possible 1910 census
Pa = filed 1st papers for naturalization
(Declaration of Intent)

from about.com the Naturalization process:
http://genealogy.about.com/cs/naturaliz ... ecords.htm
PMCR1966

Post by PMCR1966 »

vj wrote:Hello!
Is this the correct WWI Card & census?
Did your family only live in Manhattan?
Thanks! Valarie

1918 WWI Card

Guide to finding online naturalization records:
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/naturalization.html
---

possible 1910 census
Pa = filed 1st papers for naturalization
(Declaration of Intent)

from about.com the Naturalization process:
http://genealogy.about.com/cs/naturaliz ... ecords.htm
Hi Valarie,

WOW...thanks...that was quick. Those are the correct documents.
Do you think that this information shows that Emilio Piscitelli did not renounce his Italian citizenship and was not naturalized in 1909 (the year my Grandfather was born)? Is declaring your intent equal to denouncing Italian citizenship?
I really appreciate your response. I am at a family renunion and 40 of us are so excited about this and cheered when we got your response.

Thanks again,

Paul
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello Paul!
If he indeed only Declared his Intention by 1910 he was not naturalized.
Here's a new site that some of our members here on the forum belong to that deals specifically with citizenship jure sanguinis (through ancestry).
http://www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/
Congratulations, it appears that you and your family may have a good chance of obtaining Italian citizenship.
Valarie
PMCR1966

Post by PMCR1966 »

Hi Valarie,

Thanks for the information.
Emelio Piscitelli died right after the 1918 draft registration at which point according to that document he was still a declerant alien. So he never had a chance to naturalize. However I do have documentation that his younger brother and widow naturalized based on a search i did with previous web sites you suggested.
Anyhow your response has helped so much and gotten us all very excited. If you have any further input we would appreciate it. I am going to check out the web site you recommended.
Take care and God bless you,

Paul
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Congratulations, Paul. Now that you know you qualify, the fun begins. The downside to having an ancestor who did not naturalize is that, of late, several consulates are having applicants jump through all sorts of hoops to prove that a "no record" letter, means non-naturalization.

I don't know where you are applying, but since you do know that the 1910 census shows that your ggf had only declared an "intent" to naturalize, it may be a good idea to obtain a certified copy of that census through NARA. (I believe at least one consulate requires the census as supporting evidence.) The draft registration card will also be helpful.
PMCR1966

Post by PMCR1966 »

mler wrote:Congratulations, Paul. Now that you know you qualify, the fun begins. The downside to having an ancestor who did not naturalize is that, of late, several consulates are having applicants jump through all sorts of hoops to prove that a "no record" letter, means non-naturalization.

I don't know where you are applying, but since you do know that the 1910 census shows that your ggf had only declared an "intent" to naturalize, it may be a good idea to obtain a certified copy of that census through NARA. (I believe at least one consulate requires the census as supporting evidence.) The draft registration card will also be helpful.
Hi,

Thanks for the information.
As of the 1918 draft registration my GGF was still a declerant. He died only months after that during the the 1918 Spanish influenza. His widow became naturalized many years later and so did his younger brother.
Would my Grandfathers Italian born Mother my GGF widow, who naturalized after he was born, qualify my family? That would be so much easier because I have the proof of her naturalization in 1947.
This has been alot of fun. I'm at a family renunion and will pass unto everyone your message. If you have anymore input we would appreciate it.

Paul
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Any child she had prior to 1948 would not qualify because Italian law did not permit women to pass citizenship before that date.
PMCR1966

Post by PMCR1966 »

That's what we thought. Thanks for the info. At least I know we qualify through my Grandfather. It's just a matter of proving he never naturalized and getting the no record.
This site is great and I appreciate all of the responses. I am at a family reunion and we are all following this and it has been facinating.