Stefano Scialli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
matusekm_25

Stefano Scialli

Post by matusekm_25 »

I've been doing some research lately and came across the Ellis Island Record indicating a very promising trail. According to the August 22, 1902 ship manifest of the Hesperia a certain Caterina D'Iglio and her children Francesca and Francesco Scialli arrived via payment of the husband and father Stefano Scialli. He must have come before them since the manifest claims he paid their passage while residing in South Amboy, Middlesex, New Jersey. I do not know where I can get information on him though. I have searched the Ellis Island records to no avail. His name appears on none of the manifests that I have looked through. How far back do these records go back? According to the information I have Stefano was born around 1859. If any one has information on this family and/or the D'Iglios I would be very grateful. I cannot go any further until I nail the information regarding them.
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Stefano Scialli

Post by Bette »

The Ellis Island records on-line cover the period: 1892 - 1924. However, to go back further, you might want to look at Castle Garden. Then there is always the possibility that he arrived at a different port. Here is a marvelous site with a wealth of information:

http://stevemorse.org/

There is always Ancestry.com, but I don't have a subscription. Maybe someone else here can help with that.
Bette
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

I found a Stefano Scialli on Castle Garden
Stefano Scialli
Arrival May 13, 1892
Ship: Alsatia
Town: Cerreto-Sannita
I hope this helps...Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
Here's a possible 1900 census for South Amboy.
If it's the correct one, it indicates Stefano may have immigrated abt 1895

1900 census
born Oct 1854
married 15 years (abt 1885)
matusekm_25

Post by matusekm_25 »

vj are you sure about that census. Either I did not look hard enough or it is not on there. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for that information sal4. I will investigate that thoroughly.
Looking for surnames: Matusek, Vona, Ericksson (I believe), Gazora. If you have any information please contact me! Thank you!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

matusekm_25 wrote:vj are you sure about that census. Either I did not look hard enough or it is not on there ...
Line 95 - name is pretty mangled