Ambiguous date in the Como records

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Ambiguous date in the Como records

Post by jwazevedo »

In looking at what I think might be the death record for one of my GGGrandmothers from the Como region, I'm having trouble deciphering the year of the record. In the Ancestry records, it's filed under 1930. But the Roman numerals "VIII" after the "...trenta" (see attached) make me wonder if these are from 1938. (Note that the "VIII" is on all of the records on that page, four in all.) Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jerry
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Ambiguous date in the Como records

Post by PeterTimber »

....could be that the document is stored in Volume V111 for the 1930's too?=Peter=
~Peter~
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

That explanation makes sense. In looking through some other records from around that time period, I noted a case where the year is unambiguous (1928), but there was the same Roman numeral notation. So it must have to do with something other than the year.

Thanks!
Jerry
dele_g

Post by dele_g »

in the past the worker of administration in italy used the roman number to indicate months
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I cannot see the documents...

During the fascism the year was followed by a Roman number indicating the number of years since the fascism era
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

What a fascinating piece of historical information, Livio. Thank you. I went back and checked the various documents I have from that era, and starting in 1927 in this town (Garzeno), the years are annotated with the Roman numerals in sequence, starting with V in 1927 to XI in 1933. Here's yet another way the genealogical documents help us understand the period of our ancestors' history.

Best,
Jerry
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Glad that I could help...