Dual citizenship for my daughter

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Dual citizenship for my daughter

Post by liltally »

Hi everyone

I have read many of the topics but couldn't find or mayb missed it..
I'm applying for dual citizenship have everything ready except translation. 2 appointments April 6 2010. My question, my daughter is married but I want her to apply for her citizenship with my son's and I. Can she apply for herself without her husband and if so would I just need her birth and marriage and then once she gets hers she can file for her daughters ages 16,13 7. Hope this makes sense..
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Dual citizenship for my daughter

Post by PeterTimber »

Why not consult with www.myitalianfamily.com since they give you free 1/2 hour consultation. =Peter=
~Peter~
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Oh thank you didn't know that..
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Well went to there web site: www.myitalianfamily.com
This is what i got

WHAT SHOULD YOU EXPECT?
The $80 U.S. consultation fee will be charged regardless of the conclusions drawn after evaluating your situation. Each individual case is different and may or may not lead to dual citizenship. Once you submit your order, Eric will first email you to set up a time for the call to take place.

Your cost is $80 U.S. for a 30 minute telephone consultation. The fee is nonrefundable.
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Sorry to hear this. They must have ben deluged with calls since I have been referring people to themright along. Sorry that I was not aware of the changes in their policy. Perhaps the $80 might be worth the information from a qualified source but then again its your decision andnot mine. I will have to refrain from mentioning the "not so free" 1/2 hour consultation in the future.

Thank you for telling me about this turn of events. =Peter=
~Peter~
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

You could try Expats in Italy at:>http://expattalk.com/eve<.

They are a free forum and are very knowledgeable regarding citizenship and jure sanguinas situations. You can ask any questions you like and someone will help - but browse the site first as there is a mountain of free informaion there and many tips about how to go about your applications to various consulates too.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Thank you both for answering. I guess if If all else fails I will have no choice but to pay the $80
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

First of all, there is absolutely no need to pay a service to get information on your eligibility. If you and your son qualify, your daughter and her children qualify as well. If the consulate is willing, and your daughter resides in the same jurisdiction, she can apply with you.

She will be applying for herself and her three minor children. This means that she must bring with her, her birth and marriage certificates and the birth certificates of her three minor children. (Since the children will still be minors when she applies, they will piggyback on her application.) Her husband can apply through marriage only after her citizenship is recognized.

If you have specific questions on procedure, documents, naturalization, or experiences at your consulate, post them on www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org No cost at all--just a group of people with experience in the dual citizenship process who are eager to help.
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Your the greatest!!! Thank you..Thats all I needed to know..We are all on our way to become Italian citizens in April 2010 a dream of mine for years..Thank You everybody for your help & answers..You all are great...
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

Hi Jeanete,

Myler has given you the correct advice on your question. The only thing I'm a bit confused about is how you set up your original appointment.

Did you make it for you and your minor children or did you include your married daughter in with your original appointment request?

Some consulates get ticked off if you add more adults to the original appointment and won't process them at the same appintment if that's not how the appointment was set up. Not sure if Miami will act that way, as Virginia was very accomodating when I met with her.

I know that you are applying via Miami so I can only share with you my Miami experience. It is from 2008 and things may have changed in the last year....

When I made my request for my appointment via email, (before Miami had the phone system they currently use), I asked for an appointment for my mom and me. I am in my 40's and therefore no longer considered a minor. When I got the confirmation email back it stated she was confirming for one person, and addressed it to Mr instead of Mrs. I emailed back that it was actually two adult women applying and I never heard back from her.

I got the sense at the time that if I had all the documents for another adult and that adult was present at the appointment, she would have been fine with it. Of course, I don't know if that would have actually been the case.

My mom and I were one of the first appointments in Miami last year after they put a "freeze" on making appointments. In that way, she was perhaps more flexible about expecting one adult and seeing two. Our applications were pretty straight forward and my mom got her citizenshp letter two weeks after our appointment. Mine took a bit long due to a difference in spelling of a last name on my birth certificate. Once I got that corrected, I mailed the amended and newly translated document to Virgina and got my citizenship letter soon after....

If you decide to bring your daughter you will need the following:
Her birth certificate,
her marriage certificate,
any divorce documents
Her children's birth certificates (only necessary if she wants them to have dual citizenship at this time and if they are minors).

all need to have Italian translation and also be apostilled.

She will need to be present as well. She must also be in the Miami jurisdiction.

You may want to browse thru the past topics for the pros and cons of having minors get their dual citizenship.

When you go on your appointment make it as easy and organized as possible. you will be talking thru a bank teller type window, not much room to work.

I bought color coded pocket folders, one for my gf, one for my mom and one for me. (I also had them for the non-direct line incase she asked for them, which she didn't). I had a post-it on the top of each document so that I knew which document it was without having to read through it.

Hope this is helpful,
JMFL
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Thank You, I called and was directed to make 2 appointments by the rep. one is for myself and my 23 year old, the other they made for my daughter and other son. mine is first at 10:00 and theres is at 11:00 he said because they would be using my paper work. I have email confirmation one directed to myself the other to my oldest son. But maybe I should call to reconfirm..I don't want my kids missing work traveling to Miami for nothing..May I ask, these forms they tell you to download Application,Declaration of Applicant,living & Deceased I thought I read it was not necessary to fill out because she will only make you do it again there. Was this true in your case or would it be wiser to be prepared. Just like to say Thank you again all of you have been so helpful.
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Ok I just found your entry of 7/27/08 I knew I had read it b-4 so I got my answer already about the 4 documents..I apologize..
Thank you
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

Ok, I see how your appts are set up now and that seems like to correct way to do it. I don't think it is necessary to reconfirm the appointments since you have the email confirming them. I haven't read online of anyone going to Miami and Virginia not expecting them, so I don't think that is something to worry about at all.

Sounds like you are all set, good luck with everything,
JMFL