Died at sea

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
juicy

Died at sea

Post by juicy »

This is one for the “Mastersâ€
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Died at sea

Post by tonyric »

Not sure how it seems far fetched that someone that died at sea back then would be buried at sea. They didn't have the ability to keep a body cool enough back then, so by the time they reached land they would have had a mess from decomposition of the body. This would not be so far fetched I think.
juicy

Post by juicy »

Thanks for the graphics there Tony!
Your theory was considered and you may well be correct, and I suppose it must have been a fairly frequent event considering the numbers involved. If this was the case, at some point it obviously stopped.
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CowryShells »

I was just looking at a ship's manifest from 1893 (an arrival into Ellis Island). The very last column is titled "Date and Cause of Death", so they were prepared to record this for any passenger, should it occur.

I would try contacting relatives here and abroad to see if someone has a record of the family, perhaps in a Bible, just to get a little more information.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is nothing better than researching. Go to the following website:
www.longislandgenealogy.com/ComingtoAmerica.htm =Peter=
~Peter~
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I have run across records of deaths at sea in the Atti di Diversi. One of the records even gave the latitude and longitude where the death occurred. If your comune has Atti di Diversi, you might want to check them for a record of your ancestor.
John Armellino
juicy

Post by juicy »

Great find there Peter,

Thanks everyone.