DUal citizenship questions...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
LAROCCAMOM
Rookie
Rookie

DUal citizenship questions...

Post by LAROCCAMOM »

My great-grandparents were Italian and moved to Argentina after my great-grandfather fought in World War I. There, they gave birth to my grandmother, she never became an Italian citizen, her parents never became Argentinian citizen.
My parents and I want to become Italian citizens, my grandmother wants to do it as well.
Now, should my grandmother do it first, or can we all do it at the same time? :?
BTW, my grandmother is in Argentina and my parents and I live in the US.

Thank you for all your help,

Laroccamom :)
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Re: DUal citizenship questions...

Post by emiroirausquin »

LAROCCAMOM

You can not only file the papers for everybody at the same time - YOU MUST -otherwise you will not become a citizen.

It is my understanding that you will have to file in Argentina, due to a) you being born in Argentina b) Your grandmother still lives in Argentina.

I have heard that people have to file the ppwk in the country they were born in - Argentina in your case. Not sure if they could do it in another country that they eventually became citizens of through Naturalization. Assuming you became a US Citizen. I wonder if your grandmother still living in Argentina would be an issue for you to file in the USA.

Who has heard something diferent? anybody?

Emiro
Emiro Irausquin Sangiovanni
http://www.italven.org
Genealogia Italiana en Venezuela - Base de Datos de italianos en venezuela 1800-1900
LAROCCAMOM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LAROCCAMOM »

emiroirausquin wrote:LAROCCAMOM

You can not only file the papers for everybody at the same time - YOU MUST -otherwise you will not become a citizen.

It is my understanding that you will have to file in Argentina, due to a) you being born in Argentina b) Your grandmother still lives in Argentina.

I have heard that people have to file the ppwk in the country they were born in - Argentina in your case. Not sure if they could do it in another country that they eventually became citizens of through Naturalization. Assuming you became a US Citizen. I wonder if your grandmother still living in Argentina would be an issue for you to file in the USA.

Emiro
Thank you emiroirausquin,

So besides the fact that I must or must not file in Argentina, I "MUST" send in the application with my grandmother, my parents and my siblings. Right? What about cousins?

Just making sure I got the information right.

Thank you again,

Laroccamom
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

LAROCCAMOM wrote:
emiroirausquin wrote:LAROCCAMOM

Emiro
Thank you emiroirausquin,

So besides the fact that I must or must not file in Argentina, I "MUST" send in the application with my grandmother, my parents and my siblings. Right? What about cousins?

Just making sure I got the information right.

Thank you again,

Laroccamom
That sounds completely wrong to me, but I am no expert. contact your local Italian Consulate for more info.

You can apply alone. Depending on the nature of your claim to Italian Citizenship, you will need documents pertaining to your ascendants, and perhaps your spouse and children.

http://www.consbuenosaires.esteri.it/Co ... inanza.htm
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I have to agree with you Severino; that is totally incorrect.

You must file at the consulate that serves the jurisdiction in which you live, and although you may all apply at the same time, this is certainly not a requirement.

Your grandmother can apply, your parents, can apply, your siblings can apply and you can apply if you all qualify, but there is no required order; nor is there a requirement that you apply together.
LAROCCAMOM
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dual citizenship questions...

Post by LAROCCAMOM »

Thank you everyone.
I only want to make sure of one more thing, if my grandmother decides not to do it now, will I still be able to do it?
Or must she do it first?

Thank you and I apologize for being a pain in the buttocks :D :D
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dual citizenship questions...

Post by Steverino3006 »

LAROCCAMOM wrote:Thank you everyone.
I only want to make sure of one more thing, if my grandmother decides not to do it now, will I still be able to do it?
Or must she do it first?

Thank you and I apologize for being a pain in the buttocks :D :D
not a pain at all.

Nonna should be able to wait and do it later, if she qualifies. She would not loose her qualification by waiting and applying after you do. Have fun and good luck.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

For your application, she would need to sign a "Declaration of Living Ascendent." On this form she states that she has never renounced Italian citizenship. Completing this form does not give her citizenship; you have to apply for that to happen. However, once your citizenship is recognized, if your grandmother then wishes to apply, she can do so easily.

If you grandmother prefers to apply now, you will need two sets of documents--one for your grandmother in Argentina and one for you and your parents in the U.S. (assuming you are all applying at the same consulate). If the application moves more quickly in the U.S., it will help push forward your grandmother's application; and the same applies to your applications if your grandmother's citizenship is recognized first.

I do have one cautionary note. If either you or your parents naturalized in the U.S. before 1992, that would be considered renunciation, and you would be unable to apply jure sanguinis.

Best of luck.
LAROCCAMOM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LAROCCAMOM »

mler wrote:For your application, she would need to sign a "Declaration of Living Ascendent." On this form she states that she has never renounced Italian citizenship. Completing this form does not give her citizenship; you have to apply for that to happen. However, once your citizenship is recognized, if your grandmother then wishes to apply, she can do so easily.

If you grandmother prefers to apply now, you will need two sets of documents--one for your grandmother in Argentina and one for you and your parents in the U.S. (assuming you are all applying at the same consulate). If the application moves more quickly in the U.S., it will help push forward your grandmother's application; and the same applies to your applications if your grandmother's citizenship is recognized first.

I do have one cautionary note. If either you or your parents naturalized in the U.S. before 1992, that would be considered renunciation, and you would be unable to apply jure sanguinis.

Best of luck.
Mler,

Thank you and no, we did not become citizens of US before 1992.
Thank you for all your help everyone.
:D

BTW, does anyone know what documentation I must present, or a link where it could be found online :?:

Thank you again
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If you have detailed questions about your application, you might try posting at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org Many of us who post there have been through--or are going through--the application process.

Be sure to provide information about your consulate, the line from which you are claiming citizenship (ie. GGF, GF, M, etc.), and any applicable dates.

Your application will be a bit more complicated because you will need documents from both Argentina and the U.S. You might start with proof that your greatgrandfather did not naturalize in Argentina because I suspect that that will be the most difficult to obtain. In the U.S., this is a "no record" letter from the various governments--federal, state, locality. I don't know what it entails in Argentina, but I'm sure someone else does.

You may also want to obtain birth certificates for both your grandparents as well as for everyone in the line. You will also need marriage and death certificates.
LAROCCAMOM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LAROCCAMOM »

Here again,

I looked everywhere in the web for answers and so far I got this:

Some say I CAN file in the US, while others say I CAN NOT.

Some say I CAN jump my grandmother, others say I CAN NOT.

One thing I am sure, is that I CAN file through my GGF, he moved to Argentina after World War I, there in 1930 they gave birth to my Grandmother, she never became Italian neither did she renounce to it.
On the other hand my GGF never became Argentinian.

Help,

Molto grazie
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

LAROCCAMOM wrote:My great-grandparents were Italian and moved to Argentina after my great-grandfather fought in World War I. There, they gave birth to my grandmother, she never became an Italian citizen, her parents never became Argentinian citizen.
My parents and I want to become Italian citizens, my grandmother wants to do it as well.
Now, should my grandmother do it first, or can we all do it at the same time? :?
BTW, my grandmother is in Argentina and my parents and I live in the US.

Thank you for all your help,

Laroccamom :)
In my first response, I provided a web site to an Italian Consulate in Argentina; here I provide one for San Francisco, California. You should read one or both and get familiar with the requirements for your specific situation.

Then, e-mail the consulate which is responsible for your current place of residence.

I am pretty sure:

1. you apply to your current consulate, not the consulate from where you were born.

2. you can apply alone, your parent(s) and grandparrent(s) need not apply.

3. regardless of whether you apply alone, the facts pertaining to your lineage must be such that you qualify.

4. If you apply alone, that does not affect the ability of others in your family to apply later, including parent(s) and grandparent(s).

5. looking at the S.F. consulate form, it seems that item N4 pertains to you (note that the reference to being born in the U.S. also pertains to "any other Country where citizenship is acquired by birth"), which I am sort of guessing is the case with Argentina.

http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/N ... ZIONI1.doc
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If you do not reside in Argentina, you cannot file there. You must file in the consulate that serves the jurisdiction in which you reside. If it will ease your mind, you can post this question on the forum I recommended earlier: www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org

Two regular posters, BBCWatcher, and Malcolm are U.S. citizens who reside in Japan. They will tell you that they applied in Japan.

This applies also within the U.S. If you were born in NY and reside in LA, you apply in LA.

Regarding jumping you grandmother, you most definitely can. When my son and I applied, we both jumped my father, his grandfather, who was not interested in Italian citizenship.

There are five sites that provided reliable information on citizenship matters:

This one of course.
www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.com
www.myitaliancitizenship.com
www.italylink.com
www.expatsinitaly

Some of the others are less reliable.
LAROCCAMOM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LAROCCAMOM »

Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!!!!! :) :)