Church Records & Catasto Onciario for Casacalenda

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Church Records & Catasto Onciario for Casacalenda

Post by crossl »

Hello to all,

with help from this forum (especially Susan and Riccardo) and LDS films, I've been able to trace my branch of the "Di Genova" surname in Casacalenda, prov. Campobasso to about 1734. Wondering if anyone has had any luck obtaining information from the church in the town.
Also have been thinking about the Catasto Onciario of 1742 for Casacalenda as a way of going back a bit more, but it's quite expensive.

Would anyone doing research of surnames in Casacalenda be interested in sharing the cost of a copy? It would allow us to go back another generation or two. The only other way is thru the church records and I'm not sure how responsive the priest would be.

Thank you,
Franco
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Church Recods & Catasto Onciario for Casacalenda

Post by Italysearcher »

You don't really need a copy of the entire Catasto. Maybe the archives wwould be prepeared to search the records for the surnames you are researching and copy only those pages.
I have never requested this but I know some archives do have students who will undertake searches for a fee.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Church Records & Catasto Onciario for Casacalenda

Post by crossl »

thanks for your reply Ann, yes that is an option but the cost is almost 2/3 of the whole book. I feel that if 2 or 3 people are able to obtain a copy then we could help others with Casacalenda roots in their search as well.

Franco
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi Franco....

Depending on the cost, I am interested. Write me at

hrw3@worldnet.att.net (no spaces)
There might be others out there as well....

Susan
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Hi, just an update : According to the State Archives in Naples the Catasto Onciario for Casacalenda does not exist. I had asked Riccardo to write to them for cost, and that was their reply. One was done in 1742 so I wonder what happened to it? I guess I've gone back as much as I can using the LDS films. Bummer.

Franco
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maybe you can ask abt that, writing here
info @ ricercagenealogica.it ( NO SPACES, because seeming that Catasto Onciario of Casacalenda is available

http://www.ricercagenealogica.it/catast ... vento).htm

by this other website seeming that Catasto onciario of Casacalenda is in Naples Archive...
http://www.abruzzoheritage.com/magazine ... 0105_e.htm
maybe the info is no correct
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Thank you Suanj, I will try and contact them. It was certainly done in 1742 so I find it hard to believe The Arcives in Naples don't have it.

Franco
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I have made a request for a search of another Catasto for another area that the Naples Archives is holding. They referred me to an individual who will copy the pages for the family name I am researching for a cost of 150 euros. Not cheap but certainly not as expensive as paying for the whole record.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Hi Lilbees, thanks for your response. Can you give me the name of that individual? You can send me a private message if you don't want to post their name here.

Thanks, Franco
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Franco...

I have found another researcher with family in Casacalenda that is also interested in this same information. She knows of two additional people that might be willing to add their names to the pot...

So what would be the cost for the entire record rather then just a surname?
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Hi Susan, good to hear from you. I am trying to locate the Catasto for Casacalenda. Riccardo was nice enough to send an e-mail to The Archives in Naples requesting a quote and they replied back saying that they don't have the Catasto for Casacalenda. It was done in 1742 and they had previously said they could make a copy so don't know what's going on.
I have sent a couple of e-mails to two different groups but have not received an e-mail back yet. Sounds like we now have enough people interested to make it affordable when we locate it.

Regards,
Franco