GGGF was naturalized in 1904 can I still get dual citizenshi

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jdaprat

GGGF was naturalized in 1904 can I still get dual citizenshi

Post by jdaprat »

Hello Anyone.
I am trying to otain dual citizenship.
I have been researching my Great Grandfather's info. I have gotten a "no records" from Immigration on his certificate of naturalization.
I am just waiting for the official copy I requested (anyone know how long that takes?)
My question is I just found out his father (my great great grandfather) came over to the US in 1903 and was naturalized in 1904.
Is that even possible, I heard it took 5 yrs.
But I have seen documentation on his naturalzation in 1904.
My great grandfather didn't come over from Italy until 1912 (he was 18 yrs old).
Am I still eligible for dual citizenship if my great grandfather was never naturalized?
Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Roccella
Rookie
Rookie

Re: GGGF was naturalized in 1904 can I still get dual citize

Post by Roccella »

Sorry, but when a parent naturalizes, all their foreign born minor children are naturalized as well and the "chain" of citizenship it broken. Also, people who naturalized before 1912 cannot pass on citizenship in any case.

Minor children who were born in America were born American citizens and therfore are not naturalized as Americans when their parents later naturalize. This is how they can retain both citizenships.

Do you have another applicable line?
jdaprat

Post by jdaprat »

I believe my Great Great Grandmother came over from Italy later to join my grandfather and she never naturalized and then went back to Italy. Would that work?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

if your great grandfather didn't come over from Italy until 1912 (he was 18 yrs old) you can ask the dual citizenship...
the naturalization of your great great grandfather in 1904 was applicable only to children living with he in USA in 1904 and the children born after 1904... your great grandfather was not in USA in 1904....
just my suggestion,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You will need to check with the consulate on this, but it is likely that your ggf came to the U.S. already a citizen. Was your ggf ever listed as a U.S. citizen--on census records, death certificates, etc. That would give you a clue.
jdaprat

Post by jdaprat »

Hi Suanj,
How do I find out if that will work for me?
Do I need to contact the consualte?
My Great Grandfather was in Italy when his father (my Great Great Grandfather) was in the US and got naturalized.
My Great Grandfather did not come to the US until he was 18.
Please let me know who I can ask for the specifics on this.
Thank you so much for your help.
jdaprat
jdaprat

Post by jdaprat »

Hi Mler
It does not say anything on his death certificate.
I do not have any census records on him.
Would he still need to apply for citizenship?
My Great Grandfather's twin brother came over from Italy as well and got a naturalization certificate in 1965.
Would he have to go through that process if he was already considered a US citizen through my GGGF nautalization in 1904?
Do you suggest I check with the consulate?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jdaprat wrote:Hi Suanj,
How do I find out if that will work for me?
Do I need to contact the consualte?
My Great Grandfather was in Italy when his father (my Great Great Grandfather) was in the US and got naturalized.
My Great Grandfather did not come to the US until he was 18.
Please let me know who I can ask for the specifics on this.
Thank you so much for your help.
jdaprat
sure it work also for you; if you contact the Consulate, you can have the reply...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Roccella
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Roccella »

Regarding your GGM - women cannot pass on citizenship to children unless they were born after 1948. So unless your GM was born after 1948 you are out of luck.

Contacting the consulate won't really help since they will not do research for you. They are extremely busy. Try to look on ancestry.com for the census records, or look on footenote.com for the naturalization index. These do cost money, they are subscription-based... Many people have subscriptions that might be willing to do a lookup for you... or contact a local genalogical society. Many have libraries with ancestry.com or footenote.com subscriptions available to use on-site.[align=right]
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If your ggf's twin brother had to naturalize, it would seem that both he and your ggf were indeed Italian citizens when they arrived in the U.S.

If your ggf never naturalized or naturalized after your gf was born, you are eligible. Proving that he never naturalized is a different process in each consulate, but try to get the "no record" letter from the federal government as well as from NARA. Some consulates also ask for census confirmation so you should try to locate his name in the 1920 or 1930 census. If the death certificate does not say he was a U.S. citizen at the time of his death, that's another bit of evidence you can provide.