Italian Catholic Churches in Little Italy area of New York C

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Catholic Churches in Little Italy area of New York C

Post by Normandie »

I am trying to find Catholic Church my Great Grandparents went to 1891-1902 in the Little Italy area of the City. Trying to find where my Grandmother born 1892 and Great Aunt born 1894 were baptized. My Great Grandparents came to U.S. in 1891 and settled in the Little Italy area. They could not speak English.They stayed in area till about 1902-1904 when they moved to Corona in Queens. I have checked with the Old St. Patrick's Church and the Church of the Transfiguration. They have no records of them. Need to know other Churches in area that might be where they went. Thanks. N.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Italian Catholic Churches in Little Italy area of New Yo

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Normandie Many years ago (20+) I chercked the "records: of the old St Patricks church then part of chinatown and a kindly priest showed me to a carton full of those old fashioned black hard covered composition book with the listings of baptisms for those early 1890 TO 1910 years. I was looking for a baptismal certifcate to establish US citizenship. The priest was very annoyed since he had to stay with me (positive paranoia no doubt) and after a brief time tried to discourage me any further but I insisted on five minutes more and came across the baptismal date 3 months after birth. So I know they were there then..what happened to those compositon books? Did they transfer the records to a computer. Have you spoken with the office people..aty the church and what did they say? =Peter=
~Peter~
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Peter: Thanks for your reply. I live in Kentucky so won't be able to go to the Church. I have spoken to Office staff and sent detailed letters on the relatives I am looking for. Have done same with Transfiguration Church. So I was hoping that there were some other Churches I could contact. When my Great Grandparents moved to Corona they went to Our Lady of Sorrows Church. My Grandmother and my Great Aunt were married at Our Lady of Sorrows. I have the certificates of marriage. Also three brothers were baptized at Our Lady of Sorrows. So I have had some luck in finding things. Unfortunately Our Lady of Sorrows did not put Baptism down for my Grandmother and great aunt. Most Catholic Churches take the proof of baptism when persons are to marry.

So I am hoping to find other churches in the City to write and check on my relatives. N.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Have you checked with Most Precious Bloood church for records?

"The Church of the Most Precious Blood had its humble beginnings in 1888 when, by Vatican decree, a National Parish should be established in this area for the sole purpose of serving the rapidly growing number of Italian immigrants who, incidentally, were not welcomed into any of the other area churches, but were always relegated to worship and receive sacraments of the Church in the basements of other Parishes, such as Transfiguration, and St. Patrick's Cathedral located at that time on Mott Street. The creation of Most Precious Blood National Parish was to change all that, recognizing for the first time the many talents and accomplishments of our Italian heritage and people with Italian blood; the Scalabrini Fathers first undertook the burden of purchasing property and building what later became the lower church."

Most Precious Blood Church
109 Mulberry Street
NYC

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Biff Thanks so much for information on Most Precious Blood Church. I will call and write them today. My Great Grandparents lived at different times on Mott Street, Elizabeth Street and Prince Street. Thanks again. N.
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

Hi.....My Grandparents lived on Mulberry & Mott St and The Most Precious Blood Church is the parish they were married and attended in New York during the early 1900's....I was able with giving them my Grandparents names, yr of marriage and their parents name's obtain a copy of their marriage cert :D ....I gave a donation to the church for their time........The church is in need of repair and I know the donation will greatly help them...They were very helpful in my search for records :D ......Good Luck.........Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Thanks for replying. I called the Church today and than sent letter with lots of information on relatives I am looking for. I always give a donation to the churches. Most of Churches I have contacted have been very helpful. This is most appreciated since I live in Ky. I wonder if your family knew my family. Ny Great Grandparents last name was Cornetta. My Great Grandmother's maiden name was Pepe. Thanks . N.
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

I wish I could answer that question, but unfortunately my Grandparents died in the early 1960's at a very old age and my father & most of his sibling have been gone for quiet awhile also........My family left Little Italy in New York to live in Little Italy in Cleveland.........I'm on a quest just to find long lost relatives that stayed in New York so I can find more family history......Good Luck in your search, if I can help you in anyway let me know......I have Ancestry.com and I can look up info for you..........Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Sal Our Public Library has Ancestry and I go at least once a week and sometimes more. I try to use the internet here at home and check out as much as I can. What I find interesting with the census is to look at others in same neighborhood. I have found other relatives by doing that. It has helped me find ones I never knew existed. Good luck with your search too. N.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

The Secretary at Most Precious Blood Church could find no record of my relatives. She did give me name of two other Churches , Our Lady of Loreto on Elizabeth Street and The Shrine Church of St. Anthony on Sullivan St. I heard from Our Lady of Loreto today and they found baptism of one of Great Aunts. I also called the Old St. Patrick's about the Composition Books that had records. The Priest told me they still have them but they were sent to a Seminary for safe keeping till they finish room that will house them. They should be done with room after first month of next year. I will check back with them then. I am still looking for Baptism of my Grandmother, Marie Cornetta and Great Aunt Lena Cornetta. I have been very thankful for all suggestions and the help of all the Churches I have contacted. It takes time but do believe I will finally find out where all were baptized. N.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am very happy to hear the Old St. Patricks church still has those well scripted composition books of baptismal records for the 1900-191? years available. Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress. =Peter=
~Peter~
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

I will keep you updated. It is great when a discovery is made. It just takes persistence and patience. From the Baptism certificate from Our Lady of Loreto I was able to get the child's birth date and the sponsors who are relatives. This gives me more names to research. N.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

My grandmother lived near Chinatown. She was married in the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows 103 Pitt Street. I don't know if it still exists but maybe you'll have some luck there.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Our Lady of Sorrows, rectory address 213 Stanton Street, Ny NY 10002, telephone 212-673-0900 =Peter=
~Peter~
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Sirena and Peter Thanks for the information on Church of Our Lady of Sorrows. in New York City. Actually when my Great Grandparents moved to Corona they went to Our Lady of Sorrows Church in Corona. The three youngest sons were baptized at that Church. I will contact the Lady of Sorrows Church on Pitt St. and see if they have any of other children in the records. I am beginning to find out that they went to several Churches. Thanks again. N.