The Sardos, from Catania, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fortunata

The Sardos, from Catania, Sicily

Post by fortunata »

Hello,
I have records of my family back to the 1400s in Sicily.
Surname Sardo, all land barons. Several left abt 1805 for America and Michele and Gaetano Sardo joined the US marine band.
I can give all the names, (Niccolo, Michele, Guiseppina...) but first I wanted to check, is anyone else a Sardo on here? Other surnames on the tree are Guglielmini (of a noble family from Palermo), Spampinata, and Romano.
Do you know where I could continue my search?
Thank you for anything,
:D
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: The Sardos, from Cantania, Sicily

Post by VaDeb »

Wow - you can document your family back to the 1400's! I wish I had been that successful. Sorry, no advice of where to go from now, just had to say congratulations on your success.

Perhaps you can share some tips for others as to how you accomplished this.

It is always good to hear a success story.

Debbie
fortunata

Post by fortunata »

Thank you!! I cant take much credit though!
I was lucky on ONE branch of my family! I have access to a 1000+ page handwritten Memorial book from the 1800's of my history where my Scottish and Italian side came together. It includes letters, a signed marine band discharge certificate and my Sicilian pedigree handwritten in Italian and translated to english on another. Also stories of the Clan MacFarlane and hand drawn crests and such. It is very hard to read the old english script!!! It is now in possesion of a relative and i am dying to sit down and study the entire book.
I would love to find far distant reletives though in the area!!!!!!!!!!
I am trying to attach a picture of the Italian line....its not letting me..
thanks for the kind words,
and much luck!!!
Breonna
sardoband

Post by sardoband »

I would love to hear from another Sardo descendant. My great-great-grandmother Eva Brown is said to be descended from Michele (Michael) Sardo, and I'm hoping to pinpoint the precise connection. I've heard the Marine Band story and have some information that reveals that the musicians who enlisted in Catania were VERY unofficial Marine Band members because recruited at the whim of one ship during the Barbary Wars.

I can answer your question about the location of Mount Olivet Cemetery. It's on a hill overlooking Washington, D.C. and across the road from the National Arboretum. I've been there to visit the graves of other ancestors. Are some of the Sardos also buried at Mount Olivet?
fortunata

Post by fortunata »

wonderful!! i just emailed you!
Researching SARDO of Catania, Sicily, also their relations to Guglielmini, Romano, and Spampinata.
fortunata

Post by fortunata »

Just wanted to add some more info from my history. I have a page written back in antiquity in Italian and translated to English on the Sardo line of my family.
Here is what it reads: my notes are italized...

“According to the consent of the most ancient chronicles of Sicily. Minutolo and Mugnos and not a few modern ones, D’Amico and Gravina, etc. on the noble family of Sardo, it has been assumed again and again that this is one of the most distinguished and select families of Sicily with regard to orders of nobility, historic renown, and antiquity.
The first seat in Sicily was towards the year 1450 at Lentini, where it used to be very powerful and renowned. 1453 AD Antonio Sardo, Noble of Lentini, Baron of the land of Motta Camastra. Married Catarina Ancona

1458- Giovanni Gilberto Sardo ---Barones (this repeats for each)
1510- Giovanni Antonio Sardo
1531- Giovanni Gilberto Sardo
1555- Nicolo Andrea Sardo
1570- Pietre Sardo
1600- Nicolo Sardo

1620- Frier Narciso Sardo “The Knight of Vizziniâ€
Researching SARDO of Catania, Sicily, also their relations to Guglielmini, Romano, and Spampinata.
Zara

Post by Zara »

My grandfather was Guglielmini and his mother was from Palermo, Sicilia (that's what my grandmother tells me, but she's old, maybe she's wrong), her name was Itala Tacconi.

So, I have the information that Itala married Guglielmo Guglielmini from Firneze and they had two children, Domenico (my grandfather), and Melani.
fortunata

Post by fortunata »

oh wonderful, i am going to look into that more! I have put down the genealogy for a while but am dying to dig in again, so I will let you know when I do!
thank you,
B :D
Zara

Post by Zara »

Thank you, I'm looking forward any information that I can get about my family!!! :D
Zara

Post by Zara »

Fortunata, I have new informations about my family cause I found a marriage certificate of my grandfather. He was born in Catania 21.02.1915., his father was also from Catania and mother's name was Italia (not Itala) Tacconi. My grandmother says that he had a sister named Melani (but this name is maybe incorrect). They came to Firenze later, I don't know when.
fortunata

Re: The Sardos, from Catania, Sicily

Post by fortunata »

Hi Zara,
So a year later I am finally sitting back down to research...lol!
Thank you for that info, I have taken note of it!
But being as I only have Agata Guglielmini in my tree born in 1782 and then leaving for the states, I do not have anything much to go on. Her parents were Martin Guglielmini (who is descended "from a Noble family of Palermo") and Eleanor Romano

I could only assume perhaps your line could be descended from a brother of hers that stayed in Sicily?

Have you found anything else in the last year? Let me know, I promise I will reply sooner!! haha
Have a great night,
Breonna
Michael Ertaskiran

Post by Michael Ertaskiran »

Hello Forum

I am looking for information on a Joshswey Sardo who lived somewhere between Castelbuono and Castellamare del Golfo and/or any of his living relatives. I am writing a book on the Cane Corso in America and he provided the dogs for the first two litters imported to the states in 1988 and another litter in 1989. He was a cattle farmer and from what I am told was quite old in the late 1980's, these dogs would have been know to him as Sicilian Branchiero or Mastini. My email address is Mlerky@aol.com

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Donbabcock

Post by Donbabcock »

I recently found out that Inam related to Michael Sarco of the US Marine band. Anyone out there to help me with any geneology?
fortunata

Post by fortunata »

Hi Don, Are you the one who has been in touch with Sue already? I heard we have a new cousin, but I have not heard who yet. Feel free to contact me as we may be related!
McFarlan37

Post by McFarlan37 »

I see I am late to this thread, but I only happened upon it yesterday....I am also a descendant of the Sardo and Guglielmini families as well as Clan MacFarlane. Let me get some specific names and dates posted on here and hopefully we can fill in some gaps! I will post what info I have next...
Daniel Riedmuller