Records on LaMendola

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MikeDeAngelis

Re: Records on LaMendola

Post by MikeDeAngelis »

Haha., well thank you:) my father says Anne's siblings include a Theresa, which explains Tereta!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

MikeDeAngelis wrote:... my father says Anne's siblings include a Theresa, which explains Tereta!
Kewl! I love it when things come together like this.

I really think you have enough info to go ahead and write to Comune di Alia. It almost never costs more than postage, so I say go for it!

Birth certificate and possibly death certificate for Giuseppe La Mendola, born circa 1873 death unknown

Birth certificate and possibly death certificate for Lucia Solito, born circa 1877 death unknown

Marriage certificate for above.

PS: There are a couple of La Mendola's in Alia listed in the Italian telephone directory... http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =alia&l=en

Solito's too! http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Shame on me for not noticing that Lucia Solito was travelling with her 1 year old female child - perhaps someone with a better eye than me can make out her name.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... achild.jpg

Looks like "Salvatrice" a feminine version of Salvatore... What do you think? Look at Salvatore a few lines down...

T.
MikeDeAngelis

Post by MikeDeAngelis »

Maybe Salvatrice was changed to Theresa when they came to America. Salvatore must be lucia's brother/cousin
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

MikeDeAngelis wrote:Maybe Salvatrice was changed to Theresa when they came to America. Salvatore must be lucia's brother/cousin
Salvatrice -> Trice -> Tresa/Teresa... Sure, I can see that.

Also, don't forget - it appears that Giuseppe La Mendola had a brother named Salvatore who was already in the US when Giuseppe came in 1903.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

MikeDeAngelis wrote:Maybe Salvatrice was changed to Theresa when they came to America. Salvatore must be lucia's brother/cousin
A minor detail: there is no "h" in the Italian version of Teresa. :)
Carmine

MikeDeAngelis

Post by MikeDeAngelis »

Haha I was referring to Americanized names, but that probably is important for possible further searches. Thanks so much for your help, Carmine
heidinelson1

Post by heidinelson1 »

I am a LaMendola from Hampton, Va. My grandfather was Joseph LaMendola and his father's name was Salvatore. I know that he came to America in the early 1900's, exactly when I don't know.
LCM50

Post by LCM50 »

Ciao! Re: the La Mendola family: Having searched for a while about my grandmother's arrival in the U.S. , I today came upon your comments and was greatly pleased. The Anne La Mendola of whom you refer was my great Aunt Annie. My father(Joseph) aged 87 yrs. is her nephew. We called her Aunt Annie(I believe I met her years ago). Yes, her sister was Salvatrice or Teresa LaMendola Centra(my grandmother).
Their parents were indeed Giuseppe and Lucia, their uncle Salvatore who married a Miceli and their aunts Santa La Mendola Rumfola and Lucia Lamendola Alessandro.
Anne and Teresa had two brothers Pietro and Giuseppe La Mendola.If I may be of any assistance please reply. My father has a great memory for most info. Note that he recalls something about Aunt Annie or relatives in Texas? Thank you!
MikeDeAngelis

Post by MikeDeAngelis »

Sorry it's been a while since I checked here, but the did live in Louisiana. I could check if that's a possibility. Does your father know anything of Anne's brothers and sisters?
qnana
Rookie
Rookie

Post by qnana »

my guess on the name is Salvatrice La Mendola