Query From South Africa - Do I Qualify For Dual Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ReasonedFaith

Re: Query From South Africa - Do I Qualify For Dual Citizens

Post by ReasonedFaith »

ricbru wrote:When you get the birth certificate from Ventimiglia, there could be the marriage annotation on it, with the italian wife, so the consulate could ask you if you have like the death record of the italian wife (there was not divorce or separation at that time), and if your great grandmother was like the second marriage wife for him, and for sure ne needs papers, proves of certificates. As the italian law says, comparing to italian style, kids are born after the marriage of their parents.
If there is not annotation about italian marriage on his birth certificate in Ventimiglia, it is good for you, and hide this situation to the consular office, and you can state that the south african law didnt allow marriage between a white and black, and you prove you have the affidavit of 1921.
Good luck
Riccardo
Thanks for the great advice ricbru, will definitely keep that in mind. :lol:
mler wrote:There are several things here that appear to work in Reasoned Faith's favor.

He states that his Italian marriage was a "common law" marriage. This means no marriage certificate and no need for divorce papers.

His ggf gave his surname to his South African children. This probably means that he is listed as "father" on their birth certificates.

I recognize that the consulates "require" birth, marriage, naturalization, and death certificates. In practice, however, many have obtained citizenship recognition with one or several documents missing.

The document that is most significant is, of course, the birth certificate. The marriage and death certificates provide additional confirmation that the parties named on the birth certificate are connected. Since Italy does not require legitimacy to claim Italian citizenship, it seems that other "connecting" evidence should be acceptable. Reasoned Faith will also be applying in SA, and it is likely that the consulate officials there understand SA law. That can only help.

Of course, there are never guarantees, but Reasoned Faith's extensive paper trail should prove to be very helpful.
Thanks mler, I'm really praying this is the case. There are just two more outstanding documents which will make or break my application. My GM's birth certificate, just pray that it lists my GGF as the father, and my GGF's birth certificate. I'm still trying to locate this in Vintimille Italy. I must thank all of you who have posted in this thread. You may not know it but in the last two days I have made more progress with this than I have in months thanks to all of your invaluable contributions and insights. I cannot thank you all enough!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I'm not sure about this, but isn't the town of his birth "Ventimiglia."
ReasonedFaith

Post by ReasonedFaith »

mler wrote:I'm not sure about this, but isn't the town of his birth "Ventimiglia."
You're probably right. I got that name from the letter, an Italian consulate translation from France on behalf of his son Jerome in 1922.