ROME FAMILY SEARCH

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DANDREA

Re: ROME FAMILY SEARCH

Post by DANDREA »

VaDeb wrote:D'Andrea,
Yes, you posted correctly. Just keep adding what you find and responding on this thread.

Essgee has given you wonderful advice. It takes time to request documents and wait for their arrival, but it is an important part of the process, and without it important clues and family history can be lost. Don't forget the value of researching siblings too. Sometimes if we can't find a record on a direct ancestor, the answer will be on the record of their brother or sister.

Good Luck

Debbie
Ok, I am glad I am posting right.
Yes I agree great advice, I am going to try to obtain birth/death certificates on my grandparents. I am not sure if I will be able to obtain a birth certificate on Felice, because he was born inItaly. But I should be able to get a death certificate on him. Would that have his parents names?
I do not know any sibbling names of my grandparents, only of my father.
And from what I have located his two brothers passed away. So I do have an aunt still living Teresa, but she most likley has re married, and is no longer a D'Andrea. I know she was married to jazz player Jay Migliori , and had a child with him.But they divorced a long time ago. But I thought about looking into maybe finding my cousin on the Migliori side, but I am not a Migliori, so that may not get me anywhere. So for the moment I think the best way to go is to just obtain birth/death certificates.

I will post any new info I find,
Thank you to all for the great advice & info.
Have a nice day.
Lisa
D'ANDREA
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Lisa,
Death certificates usually list the name of the parents of the deceased, but the information does vary by state and year.

Keep in mind the information is only as good as the informant who gives it. We rarely provide the information for our own death certificate. Did the informant really know the parents name, or did they guess? This is an educated judgement you will make. How was the informant related to the deceased? A child, a spouse or a friend? How well did the informant understand and speak english? All these things have to be considered.

I don't remember if anyone recomended a book, but Tafford Cole's book titled Italian Genealogy Records is fantastic for understand records in Italy.

Good Luck
Debbie
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

Hi Debbie,
I have not yet obtained the death certificate on Felice. And honestly I am not sure who provided the info.
I only know where he passed away, and that he was my fathers father.
The only reason I believe he came from Abruzzi, is because my mother told me my father , always said they were from Abruzzi. And there have been records to match like the passanger listings. Sometimes I think I hope I am in the right dirrection. It is hard not knowing my father, or his parents to know for sure. That is why I thought to try to find my father, or my aunt Teresa. To know for sure I am going in the right direction. But the details seem to fit together.
The Ohio census of Felice,Adeline, and son Sam are correct. And I was told Sabatino is where the name Sam comes from.As far as I know that is the proper naming of your first born. Sam was the first born.
Like I said it all goes together. A while back I received an e mail from someone telling me the parents of Felice were Sabatino & Filomena. But I was not sure how they knew the info, I asked, but received no reply. I was hoping maybe it was family.
I also found some listings in the Italian white pages of D'Andreas from L'Aquila. I thought I may give it a shot & call just in case. And there is a Felice, I thought maybe he was named after my grandfather? I know it seems too far out right?
Plus I do not speak Italian, I only know a few words. :oops:
I am almost fluent in spanish, but that is all. And I would be embarassed to call without speaking the language. So that is why I did not call. Plus the fact that it most likley would be a dead end.

As for who provided the info on the death certificate, I have no clue.
Because his kids(my father & sibblings) lived in California with their mother.
I would really love to find my aunt. She would most likley know this info.
Well thanks again for the advice, have a nice day/night.

Lisa
D'ANDREA
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Lisa........

The city of Los Angeles is in California.... The city of Los Angeles is in Los Angeles County....[and you probably know that as well]. But, the city of Los Angeles is not the only city in Los Angeles County...[and you are probably aware of that as well.] The cities of Burbank, and Beverly Hills and Hollywood and many others are all in Los Angeles County as well.

Now, if I told you I was born in Los Angeles you might think I meant the city. If you were trying to find my birth certificate, you would check out city hall in LA. But it could be I was born in another city altogether in Los Angeles County...so you might never find my birth record....

L'Aquila is a city in the Province of L'Aquila. The Province L'Aquila is in the Region of Abruzzo. But the city of L'Aquila is not the only city in the Province of L'Aquila...just like LA is not the only city in Los Angeles county. So, when people have pointed out to you that Felice came from Carapelle Calvisio, they are not saying something different from what other's have told you...only that the other's did not realize that the term L'Aquila was for the Province and not the city.

In Italy, you must know the town of origin to find records. When I started someone told me my ancestors came from Campobasso... I ran to the library and ordered the microfilmed records and found neither hide nor hair of them. I stopped looking after a while because they were no where to be found. It took months before I realized I was looking in records for the city of Campobasso in the Province of Campobasso and what I needed was another city in the same Province. Each town holds the records for events that took place in their town...a birth, a marriage, a death. There is no centralization of records for the Province...you must go to the city.

So, you need records from the town of Carapelle Calvisio, L'Aquila, Abruzzo. If you call people only in the town of L'Aquila, you might miss those in the town of Carapelle Calvisio.

By the way, the civil records for the town of Carapelle Calvisio are on microfilm at the Family History Library. There is a branch near to your home without a doubt. You can find the birth record for Felice, his parents, the marriage documents, and the deaths for the years 1809-1900. They are difficult at first...but with time and patience they can be read. Since you are fluent in Spanish...and these are in Italian....you will probably have less difficulty then I did when I started...so just hang in there.

Go to www.familysearch.org and become familiar with the site. The Morman Church is the largest repository of genealogical records in the world. And they have copied many original documents and make them avaialable to anyone...you don't have to be a member of the church.
And nothing is so inspiring as reading the civil records yourself.

Just remember, the town is not L'Aquila, the Province is...the town is Carapelle Calvisio... If you get the wrong records for the wrong town, like me you will become frustrated when not one individual with that name shows up, or worse, you find someone with the same name but it is the wrong branch of the family.....

I called Italy to speak to someone in the home town of my ancestor. We shared the same ancestor somewhere up the line. But his English...thought far superior to my Italian ...was not good enough for us to communicate. However, many do speak English today in Italy, so don't be put off trying. It costs very little and you have nothing to loose.

Have a great one
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... &x=62&y=12

The above link list two persons in Carapelle Calvisio with surname
D'Andrea. While you are doing your homework here in the U.S.,
why not send out a potential relative which is in Italian.........you may
get lucky and discover family. The letter is as follows on this link:

http://www.mangeruca.com/potential_relative.htm

There are only 11 D'Andrea in all of L'Aquila..........you could also include them..........

http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... a&x=63&y=9

Good Luck with your research....if you decide to write and get a reply, someone here will surely help you with translation, and there are also translation sites......

wldspirit :D
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

Essgee wrote:Lisa........

The city of Los Angeles is in California.... The city of Los Angeles is in Los Angeles County....[and you probably know that as well]. But, the city of Los Angeles is not the only city in Los Angeles County...[and you are probably aware of that as well.] The cities of Burbank, and Beverly Hills and Hollywood and many others are all in Los Angeles County as well.

Now, if I told you I was born in Los Angeles you might think I meant the city. If you were trying to find my birth certificate, you would check out city hall in LA. But it could be I was born in another city altogether in Los Angeles County...so you might never find my birth record....

Have a great one

Thank you for the reminder, I did not think about that much, but it is a big factor.
I was born in Glendale,Ca, which is in Los Angeles county, so I see what you mean. And the small town I live in now (in North Calif) there are about five small towns all around, but in the same county. So I will make a note in my head not to forget this when I try to get the birst certificate on Felice. I think that would be a better way to go than his death certificate. More so because I do not know who provided the info, so it may have the same amount of blanks as I do.

You know when I first started I did not even know how Abruzzi was spelled. And that was all I had to go on. I am only half Italian, my mother is not Italian, and any info I have is what she passed to me from my father. She said she remembered him saying they were from somewhere like Brutsi,Brutzi, brutazia, or something along that line. So I did some searches, and looked at some maps, that is how I figured out Abruzzi. Then I have been going from there. And Carapelle Calvisio, L'Aquila, Abruzzo seems to be the right dirrection, so I will try the records there, and see what I find. I may even try Rome, I think there was a posting that he lived in Carapelle Calvisio, but was born in Rome. So I will try both. My grandmother ( wife of Felice) always told my mother she was from Rome. However I found records that she was born in the US, and her parents were born in Italy. It did not give parents names, just place of birth. So her record will be easier to obtain, but that is the Palitto(Palito) side, I have not gotten into that yet.

Thank you again for all your help/good advice.
Have a nice day/night
Lisa
D'ANDREA
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

wldspirit wrote:http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... &x=62&y=12

The above link list two persons in Carapelle Calvisio with surname
D'Andrea. While you are doing your homework here in the U.S.,
why not send out a potential relative which is in Italian.........you may
get lucky and discover family. The letter is as follows on this link:

http://www.mangeruca.com/potential_relative.htm

There are only 11 D'Andrea in all of L'Aquila..........you could also include them..........

http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... a&x=63&y=9

Good Luck with your research....if you decide to write and get a reply, someone here will surely help you with translation, and there are also translation sites......

wldspirit :D

Thanks I will get my nerve up & try these...
Thanks
D'ANDREA
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Lisa,
I did not mean to discourage you from obtaining a death record on Felice. By all means try and get it. You just have to look at the information on it carefully, remembering it may not be totally correct, but then again it might. Collect all the information you can find here in the states. Every record is important and provides another piece of the puzzel.

I can't remember if you know the names of Felice parent's. If you don't you are going to have trouble identifying him in the birth records in Italy. As Esgree explained earlier, he may have cousins of the same name. It helps greatly to have some other information besides the name and approximate date of birth.

Debbie
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

VaDeb wrote:Lisa,
I did not mean to discourage you from obtaining a death record on Felice. By all means try and get it. You just have to look at the information on it carefully, remembering it may not be totally correct, but then again it might. Collect all the information you can find here in the states. Every record is important and provides another piece of the puzzel.

I can't remember if you know the names of Felice parent's. If you don't you are going to have trouble identifying him in the birth records in Italy. As Esgree explained earlier, he may have cousins of the same name. It helps greatly to have some other information besides the name and approximate date of birth.

Debbie
Hey Debbie,
Don't worry you did not discourage me, the reson I have not yet ordered it, is because I wondered if it would have any info other than what I already know. I do not know 100% positive of the names of the parents of Felice. I was told it was Sabatino & Filomena, and when I replied to ask how the info was known, I did not get a reply. I asked the person if they may be a relation, but they did not e mail me back after that. It was not anyone on this forum, it was about 1-2 months back. I searched some ship records, but could not find anything to confirm that email. I was also told that the name Sam comes from Sabatino, and that made sense being my uncle was named Sam. If Sabatino was the father of Felice it made sense to name his firstborn after his father. However I could not find anything that linked them both on any records. Until I posted on this forum, someone posted the Ellis Island link with a Sabatino & son Felice.
I do know Felice was a bit older than his wife who was born in 1906.That would give him a birth year around 1894 give or take a few years. The odd part is before I began posting on this forum, I looked through the Ellis Island ship manifest records, and did not find the link someone posted for me. I don't understand how I searched wrong, but I am glad someone was able to find what I could not :oops: :lol:
That is why I posted sometimes I wonder if I am even in the right dirrection, but everything does seem as if it is piecing together.
Thank you for the help, have a good day
Lisa
D'ANDREA
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

lisa click onto the site shown below and you will access the addresses and phone numbers of five ronald's. good luck
http://phone.people.yahoo.com/py/psPhon ... ess+Search

juan---------

I called them all.
The one in Florida his wife answered, the age was a match, but the middle name was not. I still wonder though, being a wife she may not have wanted to go there :?
But I called the Ron in MN, he gave me his cousins # name John. JOhn is sending me some info, may be a realitive somehow.. :D
The part that seems so close is they have a Ron,John, and Sam.
The same as my father Ronald & my uncles Sam & John(who passed away). I thought that was a lot of the same naming going on, so it is a possibility. I will post any new info I get from him. He doesn't use e mail, so he is sending info via postal mail. He said he has a Salvator,Salvatore I think as a grandfather not sure. But he said that is where the Sam in his family was named after.
Is Salvatore Sam in Italian, does anyone know?
I thought Sabatino was a form of Sam?

Thanks....
Lisa
D'ANDREA
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

To clarify...

Both Sabatino and Salvatore (Salvadore) are often translated in English as Sam. Of course Sabatino can be Sabato and Salvatore can be Sal...so just be ready of all possibilities.

Regarding the other info, you posted a month or so ago on the Genforum Italy message board. At that time, it was I that gave you information that you have referred to here...the census and the arrival records and the fact that Sabatino was the father of Felice. You posted a thank you at the other site, but you never indicated that you needed or wanted additional help at the time...

Then you posted here and now you have the info. One thing you should do, is copy the posts that offer information to you and file them for reference. You can copy and paste the body of the info into a word processing program and print it out or save it to a file. That way you will know what people have found for you and where you can contact them again.

If you print it out, you can write in the margins additional questions that you have to answer or others can help you with. It also helps you frame the next post without duplication of material.

Lisa, I know you think I am being an old foggy...and I guess I am to a degree...but the key to finding answers is keeping organized. You miss things when you don't read carefully or you lost the note someone sent. It keeps the frustration levels down as well. And eventually you will know exactly what you have to do next...without anyone else pointing it out.

For someone like you who is new to the process...when a lot of people are giving advise at the same time it is difficult to deal with. You want a lot of input because everyone looks at the matter differently and with different "eyes". At the same time, they can confuse you, question your own beliefs of what you thought was true.

So anything you can do to keep organized will help you tremendously.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Just a note on names....my Nonno was Settimio......and he went by Sam.

Also, Essgee is correct....you must keep accurate notes for reference.
Buy a notebook, preferably with tabs for indexing. Write down what you
know to be fact......in another section.....write what you need to follow up
on and confirm. I copy and paste all relevant infos and place them in a
folder for easy reference.

And no need to be shy with regard to sending letters to Italy....the potential relative letter is self explanatory.....you may discover family and you may not.....nothing to lose in trying...and everything to gain!!!!

wldspirit :wink:
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

Essgee wrote:To clarify...

Both Sabatino and Salvatore (Salvadore) are often translated in English as Sam. Of course Sabatino can be Sabato and Salvatore can be Sal...so just be ready of all possibilities.

Regarding the other info, you posted a month or so ago on the Genforum Italy message board. At that time, it was I that gave you information that you have referred to here...the census and the arrival records and the fact that Sabatino was the father of Felice. You posted a thank you at the other site, but you never indicated that you needed or wanted additional help at the time...

Essgee

I had a feeling they both may be Sam, that is why I thought I would ask, thanks. Regarding the messages I posted 1-2 months back on the other forum, this is odd. I must have sent the e mail to someone else on accident which makes sense why I did not hear back. :oops: I wonder who received my e mail . I told you I am new at this. :wink:
That was my first time posting on any forums was on the other one.I think I posting on one & got a link to the Abruzzo 2000.
And that is where I came up with the possible parents of Felice being Sabatino & Filomena was from that info you sent. Before that I had no clue of what they were let alone what they possibly could be. And I realy appreciate that you spent your time to give me that info, twice now. I actually cannot think of a time in my life where someone I did not know went, and did something so nice for a stranger. And I see that you like to help people, I just thought I would tell you that you are a great person for the help you provide, along with others here. You do not see many people of this nature now-a-days(not sure if that is how you spell now-a-days).
And like I said earlier, I do not understand how I missed finding those records on my own :oops: i am goof sometimes.

Yes I agree w/ the orginization part I have those older e mails saved into my documents off the other forum, on my other computer.
But I recently bought a new computer, and have been switching everything over. My older computer where I have those I did not have a printer on it. Because I was babying it until I could get my new one. And I did not want to install a printer on it. Because I cannot go a day without a computer, I work off my computer. I receive work, and communicate w/ my boss online.
But I do have that other info saved. I need to e mail to myself from that one to this one so I can print everyuthing out. I also have a military record I found somewhere w/ Felice, and like 5 other D'Andreas in Ohio.
I am thinking maybe brothers/cousins.
Oh, I also changed IP's when I changed computers, so my e mail on the older forum is no longer valid. And I cannot remeber my password to update it, or have them re send it, because it will go to my old one... I know I am a mess sometimes.
I also have to put up a new web site being I changed my IP
I had a clothing web site on my other IP, but I never did much with that either. Sometimes I streatch myself too far trying to conquer the world, and get all unorginized. Then other times if you have not noticed, sometimes I ramble too much...... :wink: Hope that's OK
I gotta get back to work.

Thanks again, you all are great..
Have a good day

Lisa
D'ANDREA
DANDREA

Post by DANDREA »

wldspirit wrote:....the potential relative letter is self explanatory.....you may discover family and you may not.....nothing to lose in trying...and everything to gain!!!!

wldspirit :wink:
That's true, just a stamp to lose...
I will try that.

Thanks,
Lisa

Oh good idea with the computer folder
Thanks..
D'ANDREA
lucianna

Post by lucianna »

Hi Lisa.,

MY name is Lucianna D'Andrea and interestingly I notice you are searching for your geneology as I am too. My grandfather Antonio Rafael D'Andrea migrated to Brazil around 1915 whem he was 12. My grandmother Filomena D'Andrea (Filo) told us they are from Sacco, South Italy but we don't know more about his family.

I wonder if you can send me some links or website that I can use to find my ancestor geneology

Good luck all the best,

LU D'Andrea