Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Newbie

Post by suanj »

yes I already read this and is the most probable right ship's manifest.. what we need is to know the reply of Jan, maybe from ship's manifest reading he can to recognize some thing as the relative in USA or the Domenico name father or the address... I think is the a good ship's manifest this, very helpful for the search...
also i think a right point to find the draft registration card,
kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Jan.
Welcome to the greatest forum there is!

That said, you may want to obtain Domenic's social security application. If it was filled out properly, it will provide his parents names & his town of town. Cost is $27.00 with SS number & $29.00 without the number. Here is the address to write.

Social Security Administration
OEO FOIA Workgroup
300 N. Green Street
P.O. Box 33022
Baltimore, Maryland 21290-3022

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

Suanj and Nuccia,

Motle grazie. These records are my family. I had seen my grandmothers ellis island documents before but I was never able to find any info on my grandfather. Of course, I was using the Mandico spelling. I am having a hard time reading the small print of the 1930 census. Does it say wther my grandfather was naturalized? I have my grandmothers nat papers, so I assumed both my grandparents were naturalized around the same time, but I haven't found anything online to verify that. My grandmother was nat. at NY Supreme Court in Richmond on March 10, 1944.

I would like to write to the commune in Italy for both my grandparents to get their birth certificates. Any idea of how I might find out what town there were born it? It may not be the same town as they met in the US. Although it's possible that their families knew each other in Calabria.

Thank you both so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

I just looked at page two of my grandfathers ship manifest. I looks like he was born in Scicily in a town called San Lorenzo. Wow. My dad always said we were from Calabria. (I guess my grandmother only).

Yes also about the information on Caterina Sottilaro. That is my grandmother's info. Her name is spelled differently on every document I have for her. (Her marriage, social security card, copy of her death cert. and her name on my dad's birth cert.). And I forgot that her mother's name was Angela Storino or Sturino depending on the papers too.

You have been so helpful,
Jan
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

Hi jcsm and thanks for the welcome.
This is a very exciting and friendly forum. As it turns out I do have my grandfathers social security number. But, when I went to the soc. Sec. death records his information didn't come up. My dad had both of his grandparents social security cards in a box. I came across them recently. I was able to pull up into about my grandmother, but not my grandfather. Do you think if I write to the SSA at the Baltimore Address they would be able to find something on him since nothing was available online?

Jan
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

JMFL wrote:Suanj and Nuccia,

Motle grazie. These records are my family. I had seen my grandmothers ellis island documents before but I was never able to find any info on my grandfather. Of course, I was using the Mandico spelling. I am having a hard time reading the small print of the 1930 census. Does it say wther my grandfather was naturalized? I have my grandmothers nat papers, so I assumed both my grandparents were naturalized around the same time, but I haven't found anything online to verify that. My grandmother was nat. at NY Supreme Court in Richmond on March 10, 1944.

I would like to write to the commune in Italy for both my grandparents to get their birth certificates. Any idea of how I might find out what town there were born it? It may not be the same town as they met in the US. Although it's possible that their families knew each other in Calabria.

Thank you both so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Jan, If you click on the click it will enlargen a bit but its still a bit small. You could try saving it to your computer and resizing the image or I can email it to you directly if you PM me your email.

As for naturalization...he was naturalized in 1905 according tot he census.

I hope this helps.

Nuccia
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Dominic(k) MANDICO(A)
Immigration/Naturalization clues?

possible 1920 US Census
Perth Amboy Ward 4, Middlesex, NJ
430 Broadhead, rents
- Domonick MANDICO, 30, immig 1903 Na 1919?,
labor - carpenter
- wife Catherine, 20, immig 1902 or 1907? Na 1919
- daughter Lucia, 3 yr 6?mos, b in Perth Amboy
- son Antonio, 2 yr 1 mos, b in Perth Amboy

possible WWI Draft Registration Card
5 Jun 1917
Dominick MONDIGO (not signed - made his mark)
428 Broadhead Place
Perth Amboy, Middlesex, NJ
28 yrs old, born 19 Jul 1889
Alien, citizen of Italy
born in San_atalena, Italy
Laborer - Raritan Copper Wks
Wife & 1 child

possible 1910 US Census
Milltown, Middlesex, NJ
- boarder Dominick MANDOES (looks like (MANDOCO), 20, single,
immig 1905 --, laborer - clay bank
- boarder John MANDOCO, 28, single, immig 1904 Al,
laborer - clay bank
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

JMFL wrote:Hi jcsm and thanks for the welcome.
This is a very exciting and friendly forum. As it turns out I do have my grandfathers social security number. But, when I went to the soc. Sec. death records his information didn't come up. My dad had both of his grandparents social security cards in a box. I came across them recently. I was able to pull up into about my grandmother, but not my grandfather. Do you think if I write to the SSA at the Baltimore Address they would be able to find something on him since nothing was available online?

Jan
Jan,

Sorry for not answering this sooner & you may have already wrote for your granfather's ss application, but just in csae, the Baltimore address should have his ss aplication.

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Jwinhold

Post by Jwinhold »

I am a "Mandica". My grandfather Anthony is 1st generation from Calabria. He is the last 1st generation remaining - His brother Bruno, sisters Giovanna and Lucia all passed away.

We learned many years ago that when his parents Domenica and Giovanni (John) came over from Calabria, their family was split into Mandica and Mandico. There are plenty of us around NJ, MA and other places around the East Coast of the U.S. However, many traveled over to Australia where we have found some really close, amazing family. If you wish to contact me, please feel free! Our family has been working on a family tree on our own website, but I Have joined ancestry.com also in order to see if we can find more family.

Good luck!