Looking for Forte, Matassa, Di Adamo, Gizzi, Capocci, Crolla

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Looking for Forte, Matassa, Di Adamo, Gizzi, Capocci, Cr

Post by dragoni »

paul:

in what area did the gizzi's you are searching reside? one side of my family is gizzi from civitella licinio and i have not been able to find there origins prior.

tom
Forte
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Forte »

Hi Dino,

Great to hear from you. I've met your grandparents many times in Mortale/Monforte. Our house is the one that backs on to their garden.

I have been working hard on our family tree and have various members of the family working on their sections. I could certainly email you what I've got and you could see how we are all related. It's too complicated to write down!

Email me on paul.forte@btinternet.com and I'll be in touch.

Best wishes,

Paul Forte
Forte
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Forte »

Hi Tom,

My Gizzi branch are from near Picinisco...so probably a different branch.

Best wishes,

Paul
Forte
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Forte »

Does anyone know how to get information on people taken to the Nazi Camp at Cesano, just north of Rome in c. 1943/1944 ?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.archive.org/index.php and put in title "INSIDE ROME WITH GERMANS". =Peter=
~Peter~
Forte
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Forte »

Thanks Peter. I recently got a copy of "Inside Rome with the Germans" and have just finished reading it. An amazing account and it does mention Cesano three times, saying in particular, how dreadful the conditions were there.

I was looking for more detailed information on my great grandmother, Maria Giuseppa Forte, who was taken there and, we believe, died there. Not sure where she was buried or whether there is a list of people taken there, or even a memorial.

Regards

Paul
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Why not write to the Uffico di Stato Civile and ask for a death record since she apparently passed on in the Comune of Cesano. You might want to send a form letter in Italian rquesting the information adding what you know about her detention at the Nazi Camp there. In the meantime just not to overlook the obvious have you researched the Cesano event thru google.com? =Peter=
~Peter~
Forte
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Forte »

Thanks, Peter. I will write to them and may visit in the Spring. I've googled Cesano and there is no reference to a german camp other than in Jane Scrivener's book. I'll keep trying.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

on the off chance that you do not write Italian youmay want to use a form letter in Italian found at www,.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italian-form-letters.html and send it to the Uficio di Stato Civile in Cesano.

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in cesano and then click on the name for the website and scroll down to municipio which is the address for the Ufficio di Stato Civile as well. =Peter=
~Peter~
olgadaly

Post by olgadaly »

Hi all, Dino you are listed at the bottom of the conversation, I'm one of your second cousin's living in Dublin (your Mum & Dad' cousin Esther's eldest child).

I was so surprised to see the list of my very dear great aunts & uncles. So sad for us as they are getting very old and we seem to be losing them quickly over the last few years.
My nonna is Ida Forte (Clementina, Rosa, Cathleen, Frank, Luigi, Ida, Remo & Patricia). She was the only sibling to marry an Irishman, in Belfast about 1942. Nonna is quite strong still, but her mind has been badly affected by Alzheimhers. Grandpa's name was Thomas Lundy. Ida's children are Esther (now Daly, my Mum, an English version of Pasqualina), Cathleen NcNulty, Thomas Lundy, Gerard Lundy and Vincent Lundy. (Uncle Gerards first name in Pancras, as in Pancrazio).

I have lots of info going back from Dino's grandfather Uncle Louis (Luigi) and Aunty Pat (Patrizia, rip) which I will add as soon as I can (pestered by Vanessa Ida Maria for a story right now). Its a huge family and I would love to pool resources & hear from lots of cousins, Olga
JessicaUK1984

Post by JessicaUK1984 »

The Bexhill Fortes...
Olimpio and Iolanda Forte my grand parents had Frank and Sandra
I am Jessica Iolanda, Sandras oldest daughter, I also have a younger sister Gemma Alessandra. My uncle Frank Had a sone called Gino. Everyone bar me still lives in Bexhill.
olgadaly

Post by olgadaly »

Hi Jessica, I just looked you up on a great family tree one of our cousin's is working on. (You can see his posts - his name is Paul) We seem to be related at least three times over going back about four generations! The Fortes are spectacularly good at marrying each other. Its a bit late at night to work it out exactly but since both Olimpio and Jolanda are Fortes and three of my nonna Ida's grandparent's were Fortes you can see what I mean. My e-mail is olga daly @ eircom .net (without the spaces to stop spam) & feel free to contact me, Olga.
JessicaUK1984

Post by JessicaUK1984 »

My Grandfather Olimpio's sister died yesterday, Rosa Fusco (was Forte) she was the last of the four siblings in his family. Sadly the funeral is in Ireland on Friday and I cannot make it.
olgadaly

Post by olgadaly »

Dear Jessica, I am very sorry about your Aunty Rosa. It turns out that I have known of her for years. I met my Mum (Esther) today who was a little late as my Nonna's (Ida Forte Lundy) brother Remo (Forte) phoned to tell her about your Aunt. I was surprised when Mum said that she was "Rosa from Banbridge" (how she was ever referred to by Nonna). She was a very old friend (&cousin) of her's and I recall Nonna mentioning her many times. Nonna was a bridesmaid to Rosa. One of Rosa's children/grandchildren is renting a shop from her in Andersonstown, Belfast. Mum would be making the trip up to Banbridge on Friday but this weekend she is taking my kids as we are going on an impromtu skiing hol.
Sadly my Nonna also died about 10 days ago at nearly 92, the fourth of her siblings to die in about 24 months. There were lots of older cousins at her funeral (eg Vera, Dora ?) but I wasn't really paying much attention that day. If you ever see a photo of Rosa's wedding do look out for a very pretty bridesmaid called Ida. Lets just hope they are all enjoying a reunion together! Olga
stuartcapaldi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by stuartcapaldi »

:D

Hello all

I am attempting to find more about my Gizzi connection. I have several Gizzi ancestors all from San Giuseppe, Picinisco.

I believe that Domenico Gizzi b circa 1890 and his sister "Nancy" Gizzi were cousins of my grandfather Achille Capaldi.

Domenico married Maria Pesce circa 1928 in Picinisco and they both returned to Glasgow where they ran a cafe shop in the Battlefield area.

Domenico's father I believe was Santo Gizzi & his mother was Catterina Valente

I have put my search experiences onto my web site www.capaldi-clan.com however the Gizzi link remains unsolved.

I noticed on this thread that some of the Gizzi families came from Picinisco any assistance is much appreciated

:?
Stuart Capaldi