Cordaro Family/Caltanissetta, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Cordaro Family/Caltanissetta, Sicily

Post by Jen C. »

adelfio wrote:Marriage of Angelo Lomonaco and Guiseppa Asarisi
INDEX# 47
1891 April 27th Marriage of Angelo Lomonaco age 24 farmhand born in Caltanissetta son of Guiseppe Lomonaco and Filippa Lo Vetere married to Guiseppa Asarisi age 15 born in Caltanissetta daughter of Vincenzo Asarisi and Maria Bruno
Click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty

OH my GOSH! This is so amazing! Thank you Marty from the bottom of my heart! How are you finding all of these records? I guess it would help to speak Italian. I'm amazed. This gives me a link one more generation back. So awesome.
~Someday I may change the world, but for today the world will change me~
[Looking for Surnames: Cordaro, Lomonico, Bruno, Asarisi]
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Jen C. wrote:Thank you so much for this! I am not familiar with any of it. I've never done genealogical research before. I am hoping to learn from this and be able to help others with theirs--you've all inspired me.

Thanks again! I have my work cut out for me. =D
Marty :D linked this terrific guide from FamilySearch on another post.
Looks like a great starting place for researching Italian records:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... cestor.pdf
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

Thanks!

Is there a database that the italian birth/marriage records are coming from? If so, could someone please post the link?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Al that Ive posted has come from ancestry.com go to cardcatalog at the search prompt enter Italy at the Search Titles and all the Italian records will be listed.
Caltanissetta, Sicily, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1939
Province Caltanissetta town of Caltanissetta
Some towns in Italy are named both as a town and province (LIKE A COUNTY IS HERE)

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

Great! I'll have to look through them. I signed up for the free 14-day trial at ancestry.com. I'm still having trouble navigating all the records, but this helps to get me started. Are you physically looking through each image or do the names come up when you search for them? Or sometimes both? Sorry for so many questions. I'm learning a ton!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What I would do is look through the indice annuale nascite index of births by year find the name it will give a index number go back to atti di nascita for that year look up the index number you have written down for that person.
There are the same from indice annuale morti index of death records and indice annuale matrimoni index of marriage records which usually are listed by the grooms name first followed by the brides maiden name
Sometimes years are not indexed so checked the records themselves in the last couple of pages sometimes there is a index there for the year
One other thing with Italian records there is ParteI which is the normal filing of the record and there is ParteII which usually is in the back of the record year. ParteII happens if the civil official cant record the record for what ever reason in the date order its suppose to be in he starts another file (PARTEII) in the back of the record year
Like for instance i looked for siblings of Giovanna Lomonaco and came up with this
INDEX #975
1894 Oct 30th at 9:00 AM in the town of Caltanissetta, Sicily appeared Angelo Lomonaco and Guiseppa Asarisi gave birth in a house on via San Croce to a baby girl named Guiseppa Lomonaco
click for record keep clicking to enlarge

You will do great !!

Buona fortuna
Ciao
Marty Adelfio
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

Thanks Marty! This is really helpful. Last night I went into the index and didn't know what to do with the number once I found it. I mean, I knew it had to match up to something on that list, but because I don't speak or read/write Italian I was just making educated guesses as to what document on the list it might match up with. But, I couldn't find the right record, so maybe I was in the wrong section. I'll practice with this until it becomes easy.

Also, thank you again for another birth record! I'll have to see if she came to the US too--though I don't believe she did. I know that either Giovanna's or Michele's sister (not sure which, but I think her's) moved to Argentina instead of the US from Sicily. It'll be interesting to find out!

Thank you again, you're very kind.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Salvatore Cordaro and Michela Bruno its a little faded might need some backup with a couple of the names
ancestry.com
Caltanissetta > Caltanissetta > Atti di Matrimonio > 1868
Image: 49 of 108
INDEX #15
1868 Feb ?? in the town of Caltanissetta, Sicily appeared Salvatore Cordaro age 25 farmhand born in Caltanissetta son of deceased Leonardo Cordaro farmer and Vittoria Curcio married to Michela Bruno age 17 spinner born in Caltanissetta daughter of deceased Salvatore Bruno and Marianna Perchiazzi???

Marty :lol:

Marty
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

I don't know how you do this...everytime I come back to this page, I am amazed. These are so important to me to have. I am going to get everything together and present it to my family at a Sunday dinner (pasta of course--every sunday) as a surprise after I get back from Sicily. I'm hoping to find out where family members worked, lived, etc and take pictures to go along with the documents and stories that I can find. All of these documents are so awesome. Thank you again (I know I keep saying this) for everything. I couldn't have gained access to this stuff without you. You're so generous with your time, thats very admirable. I wish that at 28 years old, my friends would be interested in their legacies too--they all think I'm crazy, haha.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You are very welcome! Its great that you are researching your family history stay with it you will have family lineage to leave to your children and their children.
When you go Caltanissetta check out the street via S.Croce(THE STREET THATS ON THE RECORDS) and see where the closest church is in that area

Marty

Marty
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

adelfio wrote:.
When you go Caltanissetta check out the street via S.Croce(THE STREET THATS ON THE RECORDS) and see where the closest church is in that area

That is brilliant! lol. I figured I try to find the street but the link to the church....great idea! THanks!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

adelfio wrote:Marriage of Salvatore Cordaro and Michela Bruno its a little faded might need some backup with a couple of the names
ancestry.com
Caltanissetta > Caltanissetta > Atti di Matrimonio > 1868
Image: 49 of 108
INDEX #15
1868 Feb ?? in the town of Caltanissetta, Sicily appeared Salvatore Cordaro age 25 farmhand born in Caltanissetta son of deceased Leonardo Cordaro farmer and Vittoria Curcio married to Michela Bruno age 17 spinner born in Caltanissetta daughter of deceased Salvatore Bruno and Marianna Perchiazzi???

Marty :lol:
HI Marty and Jen C. :-)

The day in February is the 1st (primo).
The surname of the mother of the groom is AMICO and the surname of the mother of the bride I believe is PERDICARO...

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Thanks T for the names and the great back up!!!!
Jen I want to show you something about Italian naming patterns
You have one Angelo Cordaro born 1889 Jan 13th
Before that there was another Angelo Cordaro born 1885 Oct 19th son of Salvatore Cordaro and Michela Bruno
INDEX 1078
click for record

Then his death 1887 July 24th Angelo Cordaro age 2 son of Salvatore Cordaro and Michela Bruno
INDEX 441
click for record

So you see one Angelo died and they kept naming the next son the same

Marty

Marty
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

Marty,

That makes complete sense. Thank you for that. I am actually named after my great-grandmother (Giovanna--but in English she went by Jennie) and my name is Jenny, but I go by Jen. My middle name is my grandmothers middle name. And then of course, my last name is my dad's paternal name.

I noticed that a lot of the names repeat and I read that article about Italian naming traditions that was earlier on this thread. Its very interesting.

Thanks for that death record. I didn't have that.

T,

Thank you for the clarification on the translation. =)

I did a search and found that there are still 74 people with the last name "cordaro" still in Caltanissetta today. Any ideas how I might figure out if I'm related to any of them? I got to be, right? lol
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Jen C. wrote:Marty,

That makes complete sense. Thank you for that. I am actually named after my great-grandmother (Giovanna--but in English she went by Jennie) and my name is Jenny, but I go by Jen. My middle name is my grandmothers middle name. And then of course, my last name is my dad's paternal name.

I noticed that a lot of the names repeat and I read that article about Italian naming traditions that was earlier on this thread. Its very interesting.

Thanks for that death record. I didn't have that.

T,

Thank you for the clarification on the translation. =)

I did a search and found that there are still 74 people with the last name "cordaro" still in Caltanissetta today. Any ideas how I might figure out if I'm related to any of them? I got to be, right? lol
Why not write to one or more and ask? :-)

Help with letters in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... #relatives

T.