Cordaro Family/Caltanissetta, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Cordaro Family/Caltanissetta, Sicily

Post by adelfio »

Got to find same parents names in earlier records like the parents of Salvatore Cordaro son of Leonardo Cordaro and Vittoria Amico(TESSA HELPED WITH HER NAME)
TO do this you will have to rent microfilm records from Family History LIbrary for the earlier records, 1820-1910 Births, deaths, marriages, banns, citizenship records, supplements, miscellaneous documents of Caltanissetta (Caltanissetta), 1820-1910 THey also have Chiesa cattolica. Parrocchie di Caltanissetta 1539-1912 Baptisms, confirmations, marriages, deaths, and documents attached to marriage records recorded by Roman Catholic parishes in Caltanissetta
If they all stayed in the same town you could get back as far as you want to spend renting the films.
The population gets smaller as you go back so you start seeing the same parents in the surname then you can work your way up to the family.
The avenue is there its just the amount of time and money you want to spend

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

[/quote]

Why not write to one or more and ask? :-)

Help with letters in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... #relatives

T.[/quote]

...because I have no idea how to get them a letter or how to find their address and I don't think snail mail will arrive before I do. Maybe its worth a shot anyway....now my gears are turning. I was just going to show up and ask around for people with my last name [wow, that sounds ridiculous now that I type it, haha].
~Someday I may change the world, but for today the world will change me~
[Looking for Surnames: Cordaro, Lomonico, Bruno, Asarisi]
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

adelfio wrote:Got to find same parents names in earlier records like the parents of Salvatore Cordaro son of Leonardo Cordaro and Vittoria Amico(TESSA HELPED WITH HER NAME)
TO do this you will have to rent microfilm records from Family History LIbrary for the earlier records, 1820-1910 Births, deaths, marriages, banns, citizenship records, supplements, miscellaneous documents of Caltanissetta (Caltanissetta), 1820-1910 THey also have Chiesa cattolica. Parrocchie di Caltanissetta 1539-1912 Baptisms, confirmations, marriages, deaths, and documents attached to marriage records recorded by Roman Catholic parishes in Caltanissetta
If they all stayed in the same town you could get back as far as you want to spend renting the films.
The population gets smaller as you go back so you start seeing the same parents in the surname then you can work your way up to the family.
The avenue is there its just the amount of time and money you want to spend

Marty

...I'm going to do this. Yep! In fact, I am planning on going to the nearest Family History place on Weds and spend the day there. We'll see what it turns up. I'm going to have a problem with the language though, since I have zero Italian or Latin. However, that isn't going to defeat me! I'll report back after I go.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do me a favor watch this video and it will help you translating and reading Italian records it starts off slow but its good
click on Basic Italian Research
https://www.familysearch.org/learningce ... 22Italy%22

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

Will do! I have finals due tomorrow and will watch it after my last class. Now that I'm done with my coursework for my PhD in anthropology, I wish I would have gone to school for genealogy instead. haha. After visiting this thread and speaking with you and everyone else, I think I might take a course in genealogy and archives to supplement my anthropology degree. =D
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Hi Jen with Tessa's help with translating Vittoria last name AMICO I was able to find this death record
This is the wife of Leonardo Cordaro's Vittoria Amico death act

Caltanissetta > Caltanissetta > Atti di Morte > 1879
Image: 20 of 210
INDEX76

1879 Feb 5 before the civil official of the comune of Caltanissetta Biagio Puntaro appeared Giovanni Giambra age 37 shoemaker and Calogero Palermo age 36 farmhand living citzens of Caltanissetta declared that on Feb 4 at 10:00 PM at a house at #9 via San Giorami died VITTORIA AMICO age 70 born and residing in Caltanissetta daughter of DECEASED CLEMENTE AMICO and DECEASED MADDALENA CAMMARATA and husband of DECEASED LEONARDO CORDARO
Witnesses to the act MICHELE LALAIRE age 40 and PASQUALE DELLAIRO age 50
Act was signed by the civil official the rest couldnt sign because they could not write
click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty

Marty
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

My step-mom sent me a copy of the names and addresses in my great grandmother's (Giovanna Lomonaco) bible. I'm a little confused about it since the names in the bible all have the same last name but it is not a last name that I have found in our lineage. Any ideas how these people might be related? I'm thinking maybe it was her sister or someone that got married and took a different last name? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Maybe the clue is in the bible...but I can't read it other than take an educated guess since I don't speak Italian. Here is what it says:

Registro di famiglia

Nome, cognome, luogo e data di nascita del marito:
Antonetta virga
address in Hemet, CA

Nome, cognome, luogo e data di nascita della moglie:
Mario Virga
same address in Hemet, CA

Sposati:
il Signore mario virga 1924 dal antonetta virga nella in chiesa della madornsa (sp??) di pompei NY bhige st. (sp?)

Nascite:
antonetta Virga
nata dicembre 8 1903
nata agubbellina provicia trapani

Nascite:
Mario Virga nato a polizze generoso provincia gia palermo nato 1897 novembre 27--

Any help with this would be amazing!
Thanks everyone.
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

adelfio wrote:Hi Jen with Tessa's help with translating Vittoria last name AMICO I was able to find this death record
This is the wife of Leonardo Cordaro's Vittoria Amico death act

Caltanissetta > Caltanissetta > Atti di Morte > 1879
Image: 20 of 210
INDEX76

1879 Feb 5 before the civil official of the comune of Caltanissetta Biagio Puntaro appeared Giovanni Giambra age 37 shoemaker and Calogero Palermo age 36 farmhand living citzens of Caltanissetta declared that on Feb 4 at 10:00 PM at a house at #9 via San Giorami died VITTORIA AMICO age 70 born and residing in Caltanissetta daughter of DECEASED CLEMENTE AMICO and DECEASED MADDALENA CAMMARATA and husband of DECEASED LEONARDO CORDARO
Witnesses to the act MICHELE LALAIRE age 40 and PASQUALE DELLAIRO age 50
Act was signed by the civil official the rest couldnt sign because they could not write
click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty
Very cool find! Thank you. This leads me back yet another generation. =) And, gives names of perhaps friends or family that was married with a different last name. Thanks for this!
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

adelfio wrote:Thanks T for the names and the great back up!!!!
Jen I want to show you something about Italian naming patterns
You have one Angelo Cordaro born 1889 Jan 13th
Before that there was another Angelo Cordaro born 1885 Oct 19th son of Salvatore Cordaro and Michela Bruno
INDEX 1078
click for record

Then his death 1887 July 24th Angelo Cordaro age 2 son of Salvatore Cordaro and Michela Bruno
INDEX 441
click for record

So you see one Angelo died and they kept naming the next son the same

Marty
Is anyone able to fully translate these two records? I'm hoping to transcribe the information onto the records in English and to see if any more information can be picked up from them.

Thanks,
Jen
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

First off I found the marriage allegati These documents were often filed by the bride and groom in support of their intent or "solemn promise" to marry. Records proving their births and sometimes their parents’ births and deaths and sometimes documentation on earlier generations may be included for Salvador Cordaro and Michela Bruno on ancestry.com
Caltanissetta > Caltanissetta > Allegati di Matrimonio > 1868
IMAGE 197-200 of 620 Look them up and take a look
1847 March 20th birth of Salvatore Cordaro son of Leonardo Cordaro age 44 (born about 1803) and Vittoria Amico age 36 (born abt 1811)

1849 Nov 17th birth of Michela Bruno daughter of Salvatore Bruno age 38(birth abt 1811) and Marianna Perdicaro age 32 (birth abt 1817)

Angelo Cordaro #1 birth
In the year 1885 Oct 20th at 9:200 AM before me Biagio Puntaro civil official of the comune of Caltanissetta appeared Salvatore Cordaro age 44 occupation BAKER residing in Caltanissetta declared in a house on via Foronse #27 on Oct 19th at 2:00 pm that his wife Michela Bruno gave birth to a baby boy named Angelo Bruno
These witnesses where present Michele Marrono 68 and Luigi Spinelli 46

Heres a death act translation for you see if you can translate the death of Angelo Cordaro
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki ... Record.jpg

The bible you left for Giovanna Lomonaco is for people that where born in the early 1900's it could be through marriage or other ways

Marty

Marty
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

adelfio wrote:First off I found the marriage allegati These documents were often filed by the bride and groom in support of their intent or "solemn promise" to marry. Records proving their births and sometimes their parents’ births and deaths and sometimes documentation on earlier generations may be included for Salvador Cordaro and Michela Bruno on ancestry.com
Caltanissetta > Caltanissetta > Allegati di Matrimonio > 1868
IMAGE 197-200 of 620 Look them up and take a look
1847 March 20th birth of Salvatore Cordaro son of Leonardo Cordaro age 44 (born about 1803) and Vittoria Amico age 36 (born abt 1811)

Yay, I found them! I think this has been my first successful records find (albeit you guided me right to them). I found their names on the documents but have no idea what they say, lol. The writing is really messy/fading.
1849 Nov 17th birth of Michela Bruno daughter of Salvatore Bruno age 38(birth abt 1811) and Marianna Perdicaro age 32 (birth abt 1817)

Is this from those records?
Angelo Cordaro #1 birth
In the year 1885 Oct 20th at 9:200 AM before me Biagio Puntaro civil official of the comune of Caltanissetta appeared Salvatore Cordaro age 44 occupation BAKER residing in Caltanissetta declared in a house on via Foronse #27 on Oct 19th at 2:00 pm that his wife Michela Bruno gave birth to a baby boy named Angelo Bruno
These witnesses where present Michele Marrono 68 and Luigi Spinelli 46

Thanks for this translation! Much appreciated!
Heres a death act translation for you see if you can translate the death of Angelo Cordaro
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki ... .jpg[quote]

I printed it and will work on it today. Thanks for this resource!

Marty
[/quote]
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres the info on the family we researched so far if you go through the post of all the records you can estimate some of the birth years
click for image click to enlarge

click for image click to enlarge

There is a typo for Maria BROUNO IT IS BRUNO

Marty

Marty
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

Wow, thanks!

Btw, how do you post an image on here? I didn't see an upload button.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Jen :-)

We find that using an image-sharing site such as postimage.org is usually successful.

You upload your image there, then copy and paste the Thumbnail for forum 1 to this forum.

T.
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

Thanks! I'll post a few things in the next couple days...to show you all my progress.