Dead End!! HELP!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Dead End!! HELP!!

Post by VaDeb »

I found the 1920 census the poster referred to. I can't get image shack to work to link the images at the moment.

Name: Tom Wash
Home in 1920: Coal, Harrison, West Virginia
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Mary
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1961 -obviously incorrect. Actually reads 1901

Household Members: Name Age
Tom Wash 47
Mary Wash 40
Sam Wash 19
Goe Wash 16
Angalene Wash 5
Johny Wash 4 1/12
Louie Wash 2 2/12

Debbie

Great summary Trish.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hit the button too quick.

Goe (Joe) & Sam were born in Italy and immigrated in 1906. Last 3 children born in West Virginia.

Large gap between Joe of 16 and Angalene of 5 years. Things to consider: Possible children born and died, long seperation or a second marriage. I realize this is not info shared by poster, but with a gap of 10 years between children something to consider.

Debbie
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjk_16_21 »

Joe and Sam were born in Italy, however they came to America in 1913 on the Ship S.S. Berlin with their mother Anna Maria Secreti. My Grandmother was born in 1937 in Detroit, Michigan. The first three children were born in West Virginia. My Grandmother is the daughter of Joe Guarashio whom I am trying to get his marriage record.

Tom Wash aka Tommaso Guarascio which is my Great Great Grandfather came over before 1913 to get settled before the entire family and worked before his family all came in 1913.

Joe Guarashio/Guarascio was born in Italy May 23 1904 and Rosie Scarcelli was born Sep 12 1911.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Can you provide Joe & Rosie (Scarcelli) Guarscio's children's names & birth years?

Thanks,
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

jjk_16_21 wrote:My quest for Italian Citizenship through my Great Grandparents have come to a hault for now. I have all the required documentation except for my Great Grandparents Marriage Certificate. I recieved a letter today from West Virginia - Catholic Church Archives and they said they could not find any records for Giuseppe Guarashio(Guarascio) and Rosie Scarcelli. I do not know what to do now. My Great Aunt told me that they got married in West Virginia in either 1930 or 1931. My Great Uncle was born in 1931 in West Virginia. So they had to have been married in WEst Virginia, I just dont know where exactly. I know they lived in Clarksburg and Mount Clare. I was wondering........does anyone else know of any other way to find out when and where my Grandparents got married besides requesting a marriage certficate? Would some other classified document have this information?
Hello,
once I was looking for a marriage record here in Trentino and I found that this couple got married in Michigan and, for some reason they let recorded their marriage to the parish of their native town here in Trentino
Why don't you check to the parish of their native town?
You never know...
Good luck for your research
bye Riccardo :lol:
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

jjk_16_21 wrote:Joe and Sam were born in Italy, however they came to America in 1913 on the Ship S.S. Berlin with their mother Anna Maria Secreti. My Grandmother was born in 1937 in Detroit, Michigan. The first three children were born in West Virginia. My Grandmother is the daughter of Joe Guarashio whom I am trying to get his marriage record.

Tom Wash aka Tommaso Guarascio which is my Great Great Grandfather came over before 1913 to get settled before the entire family and worked before his family all came in 1913.

Joe Guarashio/Guarascio was born in Italy May 23 1904 and Rosie Scarcelli was born Sep 12 1911.
Hi Everybody,

First, I like to say Great find Debbie on the Name: Tom Wash Census.

This brings me to my next question for the poster.

Did you try getting the marriage record for Joseph in West Virginia under the various spellings including the "Wash" Surname?

Did you try getting the marriage record by using the wife's name with various spellings?

Are you sure they were married prior to 1931 and did not "have to" get married in 1931?

Do you the church the family attended? You can try to contact the Church to see if they have the marriage record.

Just wanted to throw some ideas out there.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

West Virginia records under WASH:

Result # Groom Bride Date County Image Size
1 Sam Wash Kate Morris 16 Jun 1926 Harrison
2 Joseph Wash Thelma Barbina 4 May 1935 Harrison
3 John Wash Angel Touquinto 6 Jul 1935 Harrison
4 Patsy Junior Wash Clara Virginia Mazza 10 Oct 1953 Harrison
5 Samuel Paul Wash Catherine Ann Moss 6 Jun 1954 Harrison

wldspirit
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjk_16_21 »

VaDeb wrote:Hit the button too quick.

Goe (Joe) & Sam were born in Italy and immigrated in 1906. Last 3 children born in West Virginia.

Large gap between Joe of 16 and Angalene of 5 years. Things to consider: Possible children born and died, long seperation or a second marriage. I realize this is not info shared by poster, but with a gap of 10 years between children something to consider.

Debbie
The reason for this gap is because my Great Grandfather Giuseppe Guarascio aka Geo Wash on the census was born in 1904 and he came over with his mother and brother salvatore guarascio in 1913. So the gap of ten years is because of that.
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjk_16_21 »

I am going to try to get some more information this weekend. I am going to go see my Great Aunt. Hopefully she will be willing to let me go through my Great Grandparents belongings!!!
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjk_16_21 »

What a day! This past weekend I went to see my Great Aunt and I got told the same information basically. My Grandparents got married in West Virginia and that she believes the first two children were born in West Virginia. I ended up getting up this morning and going down to get my Great Uncles Death certificate in which he passed away in Detroit, MI. I looked over the certificate and it stated that he was born in Detroit, MI in 1931. I was hoping it wasnt a glitch. However, I already went through the marriage indexes for 1930 and 1931 and for some reason I could not find the marriage record. I decided to give it one last shot since the death record said he was born in michigan.

Irionically enough, I found the marriage record of Joe Guarashio and Rose Scarcelli and they got married in Detroit, MI. However, she got married under Scotchel because one of her brothers ended up marrying their first cousin and some of the family felt ashamed of it. So, she got married under the last name of Scotchel but signed her name as Rose Scarcelli. My Great Grandmother passed away in 2003 and my Great Aunt is only 55. I wonder why all of the confusion came about. Anyways, this brings me to my next question...

When my Great Grandfather came over, his name was changed from Guarascio to Guarashio. I was wondering if this is going to be a problem with the name change going through the Italian Consulate of Detroit.

Am I going to have to get every certificate I have changed to have the correct spelling? Also, if my Great Grandmother got married under Scotchel and not Scarcelli, am I going to have to get that changed? If so........What is the process I would have to go about in order to get all of that done? Thanks again!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Congrats on finding the marriage certificate. Bet you are doing the happy dance. Does show the importance of getting all documents as you proceed backwards. You never know what clue you will find.

I can't tell you how the Italian consulate will deal with the discrepancies in the name. But, each state has its own rules about changing names and dates on vital records. You should check with the state that issued the record to see the requirements. Some states require a court order. If it is not too difficult or expensive I would prefer to correct them. It would be easier for you than a descendant later on. Just my opinion. Check with the state and see if it is even a possibility.

WE recently had a discussion on this very topic. Was it with you?

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Need to see if I can find it again.....but I did read something with regard to documenting name changes for Italian citizenship, there is a process involved.....I may have posted something on it previously....but will go take a look and see what I can locate.
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Found it!!

Discrepancies:

Check all documents word by word to make sure that there are no discrepancies or changes in the names, last names, dates and places of birth. All documents issued outside Italy must bear the name or family name of the interested parties exactly as issued on the original Italian birth certificate; eg. (Brambilla and not Brimbilla)

If there are minor discrepancies in first and last names, please contact your Italian Consulate before presenting your application. If there are major discrepancies in last names, dates, ages, and places of birth these variations or errors must be corrected with an official “affidavit to amend a recordâ€
micheleantonio

Post by micheleantonio »

Hi,

I saw your post and it interested me and thought I might help as it is something I have gone through.

But I then saw that you found it on a later post.

Good Luck
michele