Godfrey

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Godfrey

Post by nuccia »

By militay service she meant was he ever in the army..which I don't think he was here. He may have been in the military service in Italy though. So you father arrived herew after 1942...no manifest available from ellis island site, it only goes up to 1924.

Not sure about Ancestry.com although we can try...

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Richiee1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Richiee1 »

my dad was born in canada
and i think he was in the military for a bit
can you find any info out from him by that?
oh yea i got his sin number
what shouid i do with it
\
richi
Richiee1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Richiee1 »

???
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I found this record
Immigration Records (1925-1935):
Surname: Ciuffrada
Given name: Giovanni
Sex: M
Nationality: It
Date of arrival: 1927/03/27
(YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of arrival: Halifax , Nova Scotia
Ship: PENNLAND , Red Star
Reference: RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-b
Volume: 1927 volume 4
Page: 200
Microfilm reel: T-14809

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Due to the poor legibility of the original indexes, some information in this database may be incorrect and/or incomplete.

Source: FINDI76 - 76755
[hr]
it could be he, and the surname right spelling could be GIUFFRIDA/Gioffreda/Ciuffrida etc... .. if your dad born abt 1945, this is the only record PROBABLE that I found...

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Richiee1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Richiee1 »

do you no if Ciuffrada Giovanni had any children here
or can you find out
or see what city he settled in?
thanks

richi
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Richiee, I believe that you can make directly http://www.collectionscanada.ca/copies/ ... 010-e.html and when you have the copy of ship's manifest you can understand if this is your ancestor; personally I believe that this is the only Giovanni with similar surname that I found, but any other suggestion is always welcome!
to find this record is been no easy, however is a trace.. in any case your question about Giovanni Ciuffrada children in Canada .. well this is impossible to know, because on line are the Canada census until 1911...
they are many probabilities that this could be your ancestor, but now is necessary to read the ship's manifest; what is incredible for me, is that you have so little info abt your family... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maybe Nuccia can help better abt this Giovanni Ciuffrada record.. suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Richiee1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Richiee1 »

ok
thanks for your help
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Richiee1,

This is where you call the number I origianl posted and have them send you the form. You may want to hold on to it because with that form you can order your grandfathers citizenship papers and ship manifest once you know more info.

You really need to get things straight though. I'm assuming your parents were separated..suanj this is normal here and not uncommon for children not to have alot of info on their parents depending on what the other spouse wants to reveal. I understand it completely..I also assume you're fairly young and not sure of things so you really need to take this slow.

1. You need to get you fathers wife to give you all his papers..everything so you can sort them out. Your grandfather maybe married a Canadian woman? Maybe English or Irish background? This would explain the Derwood name. Since Derwood was born in Canada, if you can't find his birth certificate you need to order the long form..it will have his parents full names on it.

You can look at this website for help..

http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/dynami ... icates.cfm

This is if he was born in Calgary. If not, then you need to know which province he was born in and order it from there.

Hold off on the ship manifest until you get this. It may show your grandfathers original surname on it and then you'll know for sure. Do you also have ID for yourself? You most probably will have to include your id to get this.

Once you get the records from his wife and the birth certificate we can take it from there, ok?

Don't give up..just expect it to take a bit of time. Your aunt Dana..can she help answer any thing else for you? You may want to have another conversation with her..and write things down so you don't miss anything. It really helps.

Good luck ok? and let us know when you get this stuff. :D

nuccia
Richiee1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Richiee1 »

kk
thanks for your help
i will talk to you when i get some more info

richi
DJay75
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DJay75 »

Hey Richie,

I just went through a similar headache trying to find out my family's original last name when they moved to Toronto from Termini Imerese, Sicily. Our last name was changed to Jeffrey. after years of digging i found out it was changed from Giuffre. Apparently Giuffrida is a variation of Giuffre dating back to the Norman conquests of Sicily so who knows...we may be fifth cousin's or something. hang in there. the people on sites like this are very helpful. Obviously finding out what exactly your last name was before it was changed is the first step.
DJ
bobby

Post by bobby »

My name is Andrew Godfrey I'm from Thunder Bay Ontario my grandfather's name was Derwood Godfrey my mother name was Bridgette Godfrey. My mom and I were both born here in Thunder Bay. I am also thinking that Derwood could also be my uncle my mom's brother but we called him uncle Woody, he was last living in Saskatchewan. If there is anything you would like to know please feel free to message me back on here or bobbygordon1976@live.com or mslaura1978@gmail.com. Thank you, Andrew Godfrey