D'Amore / information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Re: D'Amore / information

Post by FDooks »

Wow this is great! Thank you so much.

That should be correct. I'm 99.999% positive.

Frances(ca) who was the mother-in-law as stated is the mother of Agnes who was widowed by Pascual(Pasqualie). I just yesterday seen a Holy Card for the death of Frank Petrino. I'm thinking the older Agnes may be a sister or sister-in-law of my greatgma Agnes because in my grandfather's letters he always said to take care of his mother (Anges) and Angie.

This is a great find though. Thank you so much!

I wonder if another census would have Frances and Pasquale on it together? It should since Agnes was born in NY and Pasquale was her father.

Thank you again!
Looking for information on the names:
D'Amore, DeLuca, Cordova, Russo, Petrino, DiGiacomo

Any help is greatly appreciated.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

thanks to all.
I think that is an good record this.

However I think that the old Agnes was the wife of Pascual... both married.. otherwise for that cause they living in same house? also are listed after Pascual name, so is very possible that was the wife.. no children again, so is possible that was married from an year, perhaps you can find the marriage church records of Agnes Petrino & Anthony D'Amore(for to descover Anthony birthplace) and of Agnes....& Pascual Petrino (for to descover Pascual birthplace).... perhaps are the birthplaces... normally the priest are very precise....

Also I think that the father of Agnes Petrino was not Pascual.. but another first name, because in Italy do not is used the 1° son first name as the father name..no.. as the grandfather paternal line! So the memories normally are no most precises, in my experience this is usual thing, because after, from documents we discover that they are nearly so, and no all so....

Thanks for attention, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Using the census record info..., I was able to find a ship record of interest...

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/6008 ... sca7sm.jpg

There is also a Gius. Petrini passenger above the names of Angela Maria Digiacomo and Francesca Digiacomo...

I just noticed your posts go up... will read them now...

I have no clue at this time what Ancestry.com used for their names...

Back soon.

maria

further info...Francesca (Franc-a) and Angela-Ma. Digiacomo were on this voyage December 17, 1890 on the ship S.S.Alesia
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

Agnes was born in New York. My aunt (daughter of Agnes) said that Pascal was the father of Agnes and Francesca Digiacomo was the mother.

Anthony D'Amore (from Aburzzi area) and Agnes Petrino were married in 1912 in S. Anthony's church in Buffalo, NY. I called the church and they stated that they would only have the information on the date they were actually married. I will take a ride there just to confirm this message and to see if in fact the parents would be listed on the marriage. Hopefully they will be helpful!

I will double check with my aunt to make certain that she is certain that her grandfather is Pascal/Pascual/Pasquale.

Thanks again Maria,

Frank

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

well the ship's manifest is very right:

Francesca(wrote in short shape: Fran.a) Di Giacomo in travel with daughter( figlia) Angela Maria age 8 and Pasquale age 5 so are they..

now Frank, you have many infos, that lacking is the right first name of Frances husband..

your aunt say Pasquale....
again I think of not and most probable with Pasquale name, she remember the old brother of Agnes...

in Italy when the father decesead, the first son is as the father for all family, so become as an father for the siblings, this also in my ancestor family..

for this cause I think that the aunt's memory about father's first name is no just... was no thinkable to call Pasquale son as Pasquale father...

for descover the first name of Frances husband, we can find only through the Pascual Petrino and Agnes (2°)... spouses, through the family in censuses of 1920 and 1930..

sure he called the first son as name of Frances husband
1°: because already decesead, so was an honor's point;
2°: for italian tradition respect.......

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

in Italy when the father decesead, the first son is as the father for all family, so become as an father for the siblings, this also in my ancestor family..

Thank you for the clarification. That does make sense and I actually know of a friend that called their "uncle" father before. Hopefully something will be available in a census to locate the real father of Agnes.

I actually just aquired tons of letters from my grandfather which he wrote to my gma and greatgma (agnes). Maybe something will be available in a letter regarding some info?!?!

I'm sure that Aunt seen her mother's brother more of "grandafather" since he was the oldest of the Petrino's. Lets hope to find Frances' real husband.

Thanks again!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, it will be hopeful to read or to see the letter... perhaps it have some infos helpful..... take care, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi FDooks, finally some computer time...

Ok... the 1910 Buffalo census... Anthony Thomas... could probably be Anthony Tomasulo. Census takers loved the "soundex" system I guess...

All these names DiGiacomo, Petrino and Tomasulo are found within this town called San Fele.

Town Info
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/076/076/

Map
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... e&zipcode=
-------------------------------------------------
Here is an example... (spelling as transcribed)

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2705010477&

First Name: Maria Francifea Last Name: Petrino
Ethnicity: Italian Last Place of Residence: San Fele
Date of Arrival: Oct 07, 1897 Age at Arrival:  13    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S   Ship of Travel: Patria Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0017

First Name: Sebastiano Last Name: Petrino
Ethnicity: Italian Last Place of Residence: San Fele Date of Arrival: Oct 07, 1897 Age at Arrival:  14    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  Ship of Travel: PatriaPort of Departure: Naples Manifest Line Number: 0016

Sebastiano Petrino would be going to uncle? Francesco DiGiacomo's home in NY
Maria Francesca Petrino would be going to uncle Fabrizio(surname)- Francesco(?)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another manifest of interest... also from S. Fele
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2998040009
Domenico DiGiacomo... married to a Maria, who's children's names are Agnese and Pasquale. Domenico would be going to his father Vincenzo's house in Buffalo.

First Name: Domco (Domenico) Last Name: Di Giacomo Ethnicity: Italy, Italian S Last Place of Residence: S. Fele Date of Arrival: Feb 24, 1899
Age at Arrival:  26y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M   Ship of Travel: Patria Port of Departure: Naples Manifest Line Number: 0006

0006.  Di Giacomo, Domco M 26y M Italy, Italian South... S. Fele
0007.  Di Giacomo, Maria F 30y M Italy, Italian S S. Fele
0008.  Di Giacomo, Pasquale M 3y S Italy, Italian S S. Fele
0009.  Di Giacomo, Aguese (Agnese)F 10m S Italy, Italian S S. Fele
---------------------------------------------------------
Ellis Island data base has the town listed as San Fele or S. Fele

I think this is the town your G Grandparents originated from.

mfjp
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

Ok, Tomasulo is who Angela Petrino married. The grave stone picture that I have has...
In this order: Anthony D'Amore/Agnes Petrino(D'Amore) ... Angela Petrino(Tomasulo)/ANthony Tomasulo. So basically the two sisters were burried next to each other with their husbands next to them.

I'm just a little lost from the last post. In finding...would Frances DiGiacomo and Domco then be brother and sister? Therefore making Vincenzo the father of my great great grandmother?

That is great news about the town though because hopefully I can order some film for actual dates and whatnot.

Thank you!!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

suanj wrote: -but all that I found is an Pasquale Petrino age 62 in 1906, in travel with Angela Di Giacomo daughter in law and children, joining in Trenton with parents... and coming from SAN FELE(Potenza province/basilicata region) and no Palermo.... now is very strange that this surname also related was from another italian town.... http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2908040084
-as always the memories, the USA records, and italian records they are intersected............
great, so my suggestion about italian birthplace was just.. SAN FELE and no Brutsee, but Basilicata region, Potenza province, San Fele town... finally, this is an great day for you and for italiangenealogy... my gratulations ... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

FDooks wrote:Ok, Tomasulo is who Angela Petrino married. The grave stone picture that I have has...
In this order: Anthony D'Amore/Agnes Petrino(D'Amore) ... Angela Petrino(Tomasulo)/ANthony Tomasulo. So basically the two sisters were burried next to each other with their husbands next to them.

I'm just a little lost from the last post. In finding...would Frances DiGiacomo and Domco then be brother and sister? Therefore making Vincenzo the father of my great great grandmother?

That is great news about the town though because hopefully I can order some film for actual dates and whatnot.

Thank you!!
Yes, that is my opinion about San Fele. Suggesting is one thing, but finding proof is another. The Tomasulo surname was what convinced me the most. I spent some time reviewing the surnames of S. Fele or San Fele and I do feel that this is the right place to research from.
Will review further, hope we can find a census record for Vincenzo and Domenico. Didn't mean to confuse you earlier on... just found the name combinations interesting and posted them for that reason... so you were paying attention! I thought you would.

The name Tomasulo is what is on the gravestone??

You had planned to visit the church in Buffalo... I think that is a great idea. Sometimes it helps to find out when the secretary will be there... as some priests won't look things up for you... but the secretary will.. trust me... you have no idea what my own priest put me through... and it was his secretary who helped me out big time. He married me under a different surname without my permission and knowledge!! Long story.

Many of the secretaries here in Toronto are volunteers who have their own schedules. Might just save you a trip.

I understood immediately when you used the soundex form for Abruzzi... and I commend you for providing that information. Don't want to see "Brutsee" terms... used in a derogatory fashion here. :wink: I think we get the message suanj. You had mentioned early on that it was Antonio Damore that was from Abruzzi... (or the possibility- that he was from Abruzzi)...

Thank you for the updates, makes researching this very interesting.
mfjp
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

Thank you all again for everything. I will be posting later this evening after work. I finally have some work to do!

I will post a picture in this thread a little later with the gravestone. It's basically a headstone with 4 names on it. My greatgrandparents and my greatgrandmother (Agnes') sister and sisters husband (Tomasulo).

I will be calling the cemetary today as well to see if they have any indication of records for Anthony or Agnes. Hopefully I'll succeed.

Thanks for the secretary tip also. I did speak with a priest and he was not helpful at all. :roll:

I'll be back in a little while. Thanks again :!:

FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

just stopped by to post that image

frank

mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

This is so awesome to see!

Thank you for posting the photo... truly rewarding and very encouraging.

Just seeing the names so clearly... and actually knowing a bit about who they were ... even though long gone... is truly a wonderful feeling.

mfjp
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

Thanks!

I was able to find out yesterday that Francesca's husband died when their last child (Daniel Petrino) was only 10 months old. He was killed in a construction accident when he fell a great distance. My aunt still thinks his name is Pascal but she has some uncertainity. That will be challenging to find such there was/is such a short window but it'll be apparent eventually.

The best news I received is since my aunt has been feeling better each day, I will be going to her home next week with my father and bringing down some items from the attic and safe box. My aunt believes she has the death certificate of Anthony D'Amore in the same box. Hopefully that would give parents names. I also was able to find out that Anthony's mother was named Maria. Both Maria and her husband were the ones killed in the earthquake though. They were actually inside of a church when the earthquake occured.

Other great news was my aunt has an old trunk that belonged to her mother (Agnes). Hopefully there will be some information inside of there.
Heres to great progress though and hopefully I'll find alot more once I go to her home.

Thanks again for all the help.