Need help/advice for grandchildren

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Need help/advice for grandchildren

Post by phil100a »

Hello everyone,

I received jure sanguinis citizenship via the San Francisco consulate in 2010. At the same time I helped my daughter to get her Italian citizenship through me (in San Francisco).

My daughter has since moved to Southern California and now has two happy children; she is interesting in getting them Italian citizenship.

Also, it has been some years since I applied and just noticed something about the "AIRE" system. I also could use advice on what I need to do and what my daughter needs to do regarding that system.

btw, my niece used my records from San Francisco to obtain her citizenship (she lives in Los Angeles) - so I assume my daughter would be going to the LA Consulate to accomplish this task once all papers are in order. Last, I'm going to do most of the legwork on this because my daughter is very busy with work and family obligations.

All help and advice greatly appreciated. Grazie mille!
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Need help/advice for grandchildren

Post by qualdom »

phil100a wrote: 20 May 2024, 19:37 My daughter has since moved to Southern California and now has two happy children; she is interesting in getting them Italian citizenship.

Also, it has been some years since I applied and just noticed something about the "AIRE" system. I also could use advice on what I need to do and what my daughter needs to do regarding that system.

btw, my niece used my records from San Francisco to obtain her citizenship (she lives in Los Angeles) - so I assume my daughter would be going to the LA Consulate to accomplish this task once all papers are in order. Last, I'm going to do most of the legwork on this because my daughter is very busy with work and family obligations.
Well, your daughter's children are already Italian citizens.

The first step would be to ensure that your daughter is registered in AIRE with the Los Angeles consulate.
https://conslosangeles.esteri.it/en/ser ... tero-aire/

The next step would be to make sure that your daughter's marriage is registered with the relevant Italian comune. If it has not been registered, you can probably register it simultaneously with the children's birth certificates. If the children were born out of wedlock, you need an acknowledgment of paternity from the Department of Health (or whoever issued the California birth certificate).

This link provides information on how to register the children's birth certificates in Italy:
https://conslosangeles.esteri.it/en/ser ... th-abroad/

Once the births are registered, the children will be automatically registered in AIRE at the Los Angeles consulate. Then your daughter can request passports or CIE cards for the children.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need help/advice for grandchildren

Post by phil100a »

Thanks you very much! Currently, what I'm having an issue with is finding out whether or not I'm registered for FAST IT and AIRE (as well as my daughter)

I went online and the server for FAST IT keeps kicking me out. I'm using the latest browser version (Chrome). When I received citizenship I don't think they had the FAST IT system and I don't remember registering.= for either it or AIRE.

The LA Consulate has FAST IT instructions only in Italian, whereas the San Francisco consulate has it in English (my Italian is not the greatest). Nevertheless, the FAST IT link lets me get to the first two page completions and then comes back with a gateway error or tells me to try again at another time. Any ideas? I can't just walk into the San Francisco consulate; they always require an appointment. Any help or ideas appreciated.