Query About Birth And Marriage Certificates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Query About Birth And Marriage Certificates

Post by phil100a »

I sent a letter requesting birth certificates and marriage papers for my GF and GM. The letter was sent to the Comune di Caltanissetta (Sicilia) about one month ago.

Today, I received my grandparent's marriage certificate. It was really cool to read it and learn more about my family.

My question:
Should I be concerned that the birth certificates were not in the envelope? My concern is that they overlooked my birth certificate request.

Are birth papers and marriage papers processed by different groups?

Should I just sit tight, or write another letter requesting birth certificates?

Any advise appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil

PS - I've been reading a Sicilian writer named SciaScia - great stuff!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Query About Birth And Marriage Certificates

Post by mler »

You know you'll feel better if you write the letter, and it costs nothing to do this. It's possible that the birth certificates are coming separately, and it's possible they overlooked your second request.

You can thank them for the marriage documents and tell them how much you are looking forward to receiving the birth certificates, too. Then nicely remind them of the names and dates they need.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Are birth papers and marriage papers processed by different groups?
They are in fact processed by the same records office.
Follow the above advice, thanking them profusely and requesting
the birth records. Also offer to pay for any cost incurred.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

What did you read by Leonardo Sciascia? Is it "Il giorno della civetta"?

Ada
giorgia328

Post by giorgia328 »

can you give me the address to which you have sent the letter? later how long they have answered you?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Phil the thought occurs to me that youmay have sent both requests simultaneously and I seem to recall that they only handle one request at a time but like everything else nothing is set in stone.

I would consider sending in anew request along with $5.00 in a self addressed envelope and say nothing about the missing document. The only thing that can occur is that the previous request comes thru and you will wind up with two documents for $5.00. The momron church people advise sending money since the clerks search at the end of the day after all walk-ins have been taken care of and they are poorly paid. I think this is what I would do were I in your situation. =Peter=