not entitled to gf birth certificate - NYC?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

not entitled to gf birth certificate - NYC?

Post by jeannierivera »

Has anyone else come across this problem.... I have my gg-gf bc from Sorrento, Italy, My g-gf's bc from NYC, my father, mine.... but I just rec'd my request back from NYC for my grandfather's birth cert... they stated that I was not entitled to it, and they do not issue birth certificates for genealogical reasons.

They further stated that I must include his death certificate and a letter explaining why I need the b/c and my request might be reconsidered.

I included my own b/c, marriage licence, driver's license, a print-out of the SS Death Index from Ancestry.com to show he was deceased. I did request his death certificate as well and have to rec'd an answer yet. Any suggestions?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: not entitled to gf birth certificate - NYC?

Post by PeterTimber »

I have heard from people who are applying for Italian citizenship encountering similar problems in NY and no one has yet to inform me what is the reason for such citizen abuse?? Might be something to do with national security. =Peter=
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jeannierivera wrote:Has anyone else come across this problem.... I have my gg-gf bc from Sorrento, Italy, My g-gf's bc from NYC, my father, mine.... but I just rec'd my request back from NYC for my grandfather's birth cert... they stated that I was not entitled to it, and they do not issue birth certificates for genealogical reasons.

They further stated that I must include his death certificate and a letter explaining why I need the b/c and my request might be reconsidered.

I included my own b/c, marriage licence, driver's license, a print-out of the SS Death Index from <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> to show he was deceased. I did request his death certificate as well and have to rec'd an answer yet. Any suggestions?
New York is very tough in this regard. At the least, you need to be creative, at worst, you may need to find a lawyer willing to seek a court order on your behalf.

Creative: Are any of your grandfather's children living? If so, *they* can request his birth certificate, as can his spouse if she is still alive.

Creative: Read between the line in the above statement.
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

Both my father and my grand-mother are indeed still living. I guess the easiest way maybe to ask my grandmother to request a copy of my grandfather's birth and death certs. She has the originals but of course I need new certified ones that I can get an apostille on.

I was so hoping that I didn't have to bother her though... she is in NY and I am in SC - so much easier just to do all the requesting and sending money orders and all myself. But you may be right, I probably will wind up having to go that route.

See I think it was easy with my g-gf's from ny because the records are so old... he was born 1889 opposed to my gf in 1921. I wonder if they are going to provide me with the death and marriage certs that I requested...

it seems like those requirements are more defined - death - i needed to provide proof of relationship and marriage is over 50 years old so of public record.

Will keep all posted. Wish me luck.
whymse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by whymse »

I had exactly this issue with NYC. My deceased GF's birth cert was from 1919 in the Bronx. My mother (his daughter) wrote a letter requesting the certificate and they sent back a rejection saying they don't do genealogy certificates.

My mother then wrote a note saying she was requesting the document and included a copy of his death certificate, a copy of her driver's license, and a letter explaining it was required by the Italian government for citizenship, and it could be stamped as "Deceased". She also mentioned she was the executor of his estate.

They honored the second request and mailed a copy of the birth certificate stamped as deceased. This was a couple of months ago, so it's likely you could do the same thing.

Good luck.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Re: not entitled to gf birth certificate - NYC?eceived them

Post by Sirena »

I received my great=grandparents death certificates and my grandparents' marriage certificates from NYC with no problem. Go to
www.stevemorse.org/index/html
There is a section for NYC death certs, etc. bring up the record and there is a form to fill out. I received them all in less than 2 weeks. good luck

PS I didn't send any personal identification either.
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

thanks - I did do that for my great - grandparents as well and had no problems with the NYC Archives they sent them right away...it was great... the problem is coming from the Dept of Health for my grandfather's birth (after 1910) he was born in 1921... that is the one they don't want to give me...

I am going to keep trying until they do though... I can be very stubborn.. don't like the word NO and all :)
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

whyme - thanks for that advise I am going to see if they send me his death cert and write to them again with a better explaination. I think the stamp "deceased" is probably the important part, I suppose the concern is someone using the b/c with all the idenity theft issues and all...