Census record from Dept. of Commerce help please

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
matta
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Census record from Dept. of Commerce help please

Post by matta »

gennattasio wrote:I already have copies of all my census records, a printed copy from Ancestry or NARA is not acceptable for dual cit. The consulate wants the census record from the Dept. of Commerce. I agree, the census records are full of errors, don't know why this is a requirement but it is.
Which consulate is not accepting a certified copy from the National Archives?
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

I've looked on many websites and it seems to be standard that they want a census from the Dept of Commerce in cases where there was no naturalization. I'm going through the Los Angeles Consulate.
matta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by matta »

gennattasio wrote:I've looked on many websites and it seems to be standard that they want a census from the Dept of Commerce in cases where there was no naturalization. I'm going through the Los Angeles Consulate.
You might want to email them and ask. The standard is a NARA certified copy of the Census. The last thing you want is to pay money and end up walking in there with something incorrect.

The consulate websites aren't always updated and correct. For example, several list an address for contacting the US Bureau of Immigration Services about a letter of non-existence. The BIS hasn't existed since 2003.
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

The consolate isn't helpful. I've emailed and called, they refer you to the website, the answer is not on the website. I'm just going to get the records from the NARA and take it from there.