Newark Italian Citizenship Process

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
blujeanguy

Newark Italian Citizenship Process

Post by blujeanguy »

Hello,

I applied for my Italian citizenship in August 2007. In the fall of 2008, I got a letter stating that I would qualify for the citizenship but not my father nor sister. My grandfather, born in Italy, immigrated to Uruguay, where my father was born, and became a USA citizen after I was born and before my sister was born.

Anyway, I am itching to now how much longer. I tried calling but as some of you already know it is impossible to get someone on the phone. Should I go with the letter they gave me in person? It's been 22 months! Could the fact that my father being born outside of USA delay the process? Any advice please? Thanks.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Newark Italian Citizenship Process

Post by mler »

Newark estimated two years when I was there, and I'm thinking that you have almost reached that mark. It's possible that your application is being delayed because your father was born outside the U.S. Newark is one of the consulates that sends all documents to the originating jurisdiction for verification. They also will not send you a citizenship letter until your records are actually recorded at the comune. All of this slows things down.

Despite this, I would suggest that you go in to check on your status. You really have little to lose.
blujeanguy

Post by blujeanguy »

One friend, who is Brazilian, went to Italy and got it in a week. Another friend applied at the NYC Consulate end of last year and got it in two months. He said it was because they know digitalized everything and makes registering files easier.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

There have been quite a few instances of recent applicants receiving rapid citizenship recognition--in a sense "jumping the line." There are often personnel changes in the consulates, and I think that officials prefer to work with applications they have reviewed. That sometimes means that older applications are kept on hold.

It's another good reason to go back to the consulate. My application was sitting in a file in NY for almost two years. My husband went in, and, voila, citizenship in six weeks.