Obtaining Italian marriage certificate w/o date of marriage

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
BrianWDC

Obtaining Italian marriage certificate w/o date of marriage

Post by BrianWDC »

I have already contacted the Italian Embassy and found that I qualify for Italian citizenship (my grandfather was born in the U.S. before his father, born in Italy, was naturalized.) Now I need to get my great grandparents' birth and marriage certificates from Italy, but while I have their places and dates of birth, I don't have their exact date of marriage.

I went to the Mormon Family History Library to see if they had copies of the civil records from Lauro and Marzano di Nola in Avellino (where my great-grandparents were born), but they only have records for those Comunes up till 1899, and i believe my great-grandparents were married around 1910.

If I write to the office of the Comune in Italy where they were married, will they send me the marriage certificate if I can't provide their exact date of marriage?

Also, I am going to be in Europe next February anyway for work, and was thinking about visiting Italy and going directly to the Comune offices in Lauro and Marzano di Nola. I'm interested in hearing if anyone has gotten birth and marriage certificates in person from the Comune offices in Italy.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

-Brian
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Like everything else in life, you never know until you try it!! Give the office an approximate date of marriage and send $5.00 and a self addressed envelope. Peter
BrianWDC

Post by BrianWDC »

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going to do. And if I haven't heard anything back by February, I'll just hop over to Italy when I'm in Europe, and try to get the certificates in person.

When I inquired at the Italian Embassy in DC, they told me just to fax the Comune offices in Lauro and Marzano di Nola requesting the certificates, and looked up the fax numbers for me. Has anyone had success with faxing requests for birth and marriage certificates? I'm wondering if I should fax first and then send a follow-up letter including the $5 or so.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The service is free but there may be a charge for fax. If not, $5.00 EURO or dollar is still a good idea so when you get there they will know you!. Peter