Which Consulate to apply

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mishy
Rookie
Rookie

Which Consulate to apply

Post by mishy »

I am in the process of applying for dual citizenship at the Newark NJ consulate. My brother just notified me he wants to do the same. He is currently living and working in Russia. He does have a residence in Fla., but he only goes there a few times a year for vacation. So where would he apply? Can he come to the Newark consulate when I go, since I'll have all the paperwork? Or in Fla? Not sure..........
corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Which Consulate to apply

Post by corrado »

You have to apply in the juristiction you live in, so NJ for you. Your brother if he has a Flordia drivers license can apply thhru Miami.
mishy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mishy »

Yes he does have a Fla. license.....so Miami it is. Thanks
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

He also has the option of applying in Russia if he has established legal residency there. He may want to check out that option because I doubt there are as many applicants in Russia as there are in Miami.
mishy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mishy »

Thanks mler........I will tell him to check out that option.
mromano

Post by mromano »

I have a similar situation (my family members reside in different states with different consulates). Does this mean we need multiple copies of each document? For example, if we are applying in 2 different consulates, do we need 2 copies of all birth and marriage certificates from Italy?... one for each consulate?

Thanks for your help! =)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If you are applying at the same time, you will probably need two sets. If one person applies and has his citizenship recognized, it may be possible for other consulates to access his records. You will have to check with your consulate to determine if they would be willing to do this.