Immigration to canada from Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gina_f

Immigration to canada from Italy

Post by gina_f »

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to start a search and where to look first on the internet. Both of my grandparents(mothers and fathers parents) immigrated to Canada from Italy in the 50's. I won't have alot of there information till tommorow(place of birth ect.) Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Gina :roll:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

www.pier21.ca/html for ship entries into Canada at that time. Go to family history library of mormon church near your home and look up civil records for your family thru microfilm records. Read book Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson. Peter
luigipaolo

Post by luigipaolo »

Hi Luigina ( I suppose this is your name , because Gina is the contracted form of Luigina = Louise )

Well , you can search at www.comuni.it and www.parrocchie.it.
Certainly you can know with your relatives at least some informations like the city ( comune ) where your ancestors come from. I am brasilian of 4rd generation, but I know well where mine come from.
Do you live in Toronto ? I was there in september for the 2nd time, surely it is a very beautiful city.
Hoping of having done you some help
Merry Christmas

Luigi Paolo
lpzb@brfree.com.br
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Luigi paolo from Brazil. This is a serious forum for people who know what they are talking about and not intended to be a social website to chat amiably about casual comments in tracing her family town of origin in Italy. I feel quite sure that if she knew she would say so and your advice for her to speak to her relatives despite what I told her to do professionally makes you look foolish. Peter
gina_f

Response

Post by gina_f »

This is to luigi paolo from Brazil, My name is just Gina. Thank you Peter for your information and comments you are right if I did have any information I would put it down. I am gathering more info over the holiday. I'll keep you posted.

Happy holidays,
Gina
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am here. Happy New year. Peter