Need information

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
MSanchez

Need information

Post by MSanchez »

I'm looking for information about my Italian ancestors without going to Italy.
How do I do this using the Internet. My grandmother was from Pietrelcina near Benevento, Italy. My grandfather was from Paduli, near Benevento.
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Need information

Post by CowryShells »

Did they come to the USA? I have just requested a search on my GGF from USCIS: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD
It cost $20. That would be a beginning.
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Need information

Post by CowryShells »

If they didn't leave Italy, I'd check the white pages in Italy. Find someone with the same family name, explain who you are, and ask if they know any more information about your grandparents:

http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html
You will be asked to enter: cognome (family name) {It actually says "cognome o azienda" which means family name or company}
nome (given name)
dove (town)
The last box says "vicino a" which means near

This site has sample letters in Italian:
http://www.coasit.com.au/ihs/pdf/Fam_History_Italy.pdf

Here is the letter (from the above site) for this purpose. Just insert your information. If you are not Australian, you can change that part. The English version is first, followed by the Italian version:

Letter to people with same family name as the ancestor(s) [English]
Dear Sir/Madam
I am an Australian of Italian origin. I am researching the history of my ancestor(s) who migrated to Australia in [insert year of migration] from the town of [insert town of origin].
I am looking for information on the [insert name of ancestor’s family] family and especially on [insert full name of ancestor].
I would like to establish contact with anyone related to this family or person. I hope in the near future to visit Italy to further my research. I would be most interested in meeting you.
Details of the ancestor(s) I am seeking information about are as follows:
Name of my ancestor(s) [insert full name of ancestor]
Relationship to me [e.g. ‘My grandfather’. See Glossary p. 9-10]
Date of birth [e.g. ’10 ottobre 1906’. See Glossary]
Place of birth [insert Italian spelling of city, town or village]
Year of migration to Australia [insert year of migration]
Looking forward to your reply,
Yours sincerely
[insert your signature]
[insert your name and address]

Letter to people with same family name as the ancestor(s) [Italian]
Name [insert the recipient’s name]
Street [insert the recipient’s address]
Cap and Town [insert the recipient’s postcode and town]
Italy [insert ‘Italia’]
Caro signore/Cara signora,
sono un’australiano/a di origine italiana. Desidero fare delle ricerche genealogiche sui miei antenati emigrati in Australia nel [insert year of migration] che provenivano da [insert town of origin].
Cerco informazioni sulla famiglia [insert name of ancestor’s family] e in particolare su [insert full name of ancestor]
Vorrei mettermi in contatto con persone che sono legate da legami di parentela con questa famiglia. Spero in un vicino futuro di poter venire in Italia per approfondire la mia ricerca. Sara’ per me un piacere fare la sua conoscenza.
Dettagli
Nome e cognome del mio antenato/a [insert full name of ancestor]
Grado di parentela [e.g. ‘My grandfather’. See Glossary p. 9-10]
Data di nascita [e.g. ’10 ottobre 1906’. See Glossary]
Luogo di nascita [insert Italian spelling of city, town or village]
Data della partenza per l’Australia [insert year of migration]
Le saro’ grato/a per una sua cortese risposta.
Cordiali saluti,
[Insert your signature]
[Insert your name and address]