HELPPP!!?!! with juri sanguinis/citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
melly1533

HELPPP!!?!! with juri sanguinis/citizenship

Post by melly1533 »

I have been using Ancestry.com to figure out if I qualify for Italian citizenship and I found in the US Census from 1930 that my great grandfather had not been deemed a naturalized citizen yet and my grandfather was then born the same year. But I then found that he petitioned in around 1927. So where does this leave me? If anybody has gone through this process and could offer some advice please message me! I am wondering if there are also any loopholes to this such as my great uncles were born in italy but my grandfather was not? So does that mean I'm jipped of my rights?
ItalianFood

Re: HELPPP!!?!! with juri sanguinis/citizenship

Post by ItalianFood »

Once you apply for naturalization,it then takes five years to become a US citizen.Your GGF may have applied in 1927 but he could not lose his Italian citizenship before 1931 and only if he actually followed through on his application for US citizenship.Simply applying for US citizenship means nothing,you only lose Italian citizenship after the 5 year period and taking the US citizenship oath.It looks like your great grandfather was not a US citizen at the time of your grandfathers birth.
We need to know the dates and birth locations of your Grandfather and your parents to see if you qualify.
And is your GGF and GF from your mothers side? or your fathers side?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Actually you are probably in a better position than your cousins. Since your grandfather was born in the U.S. before your ggf naturalized, he had U.S. citizenship jus soli and Italian citizenship jus sanguinis. He would not have been affected when his father naturalized several years after his birth.

Your great uncles who were born in Italy probably naturalized as minors with their father and this would end their Italian line.

So if anyone is "gypped" of their rights, it would be the descendents of your great uncles, and to be fair, citizenship rights are determined by Italian law. If you are not eligible under that law, you HAVE no rights to claim.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You can go to www.myitalianfamily.com for a free half hour consultation regarding acquiring Italian citizenship. =Peter=
~Peter~