Displaced persons IRO Camp

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Laila

Displaced persons IRO Camp

Post by Laila »

I am searching for anyone who might have some information on twin sisters Feodosija (Fani) and Glikeria (Geli) Solovjevs DOB 24/10/1924 who were interred at Alberobello Camp (Casa Rossa) between ?1945/49? and then at IRO Camp Jesi ?1947/50?. Feodosijia had a baby girl born on 1st May 1949 (fathers name unknown) who she named Laila. The three of them emigrated to Australia 1950 on the USS General Muir which arrived October 25th 1950. Any information about my relatives prior to and during the years of 1924 to 1950 would be fantastic.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Displaced persons IRO Camp

Post by suanj »

The Alberobello Casa Rossa camp was in function from 28 jun 1940 until 6 sep 1943 for jewish peoples, and after this date, in 1946 it was a camp for ex fascist people; in 1947 for foreign refugee women ...

records:
SOLOVIEVS Feodosia born 22 October 1924; Laila born 1 May 1949; Glikeria [Glykeria] born 22 October 1924

BODO Feodosia - Nationality: Latvian - Arrived Melbourne per General C H Muir 27 October 1950 Also known as NEE SOLOVIEVS

Title
SOLOVIEVS Feodosia - Nationality: Latvian - Arrived Melbourne per General C H Muir 27 October 1950 Also known as BODO
Barcode
9212298 Series number
D4881 Series accession number
D4881/3
Control symbol
SOLOVIEVS FEODOSIA
Contents date range
27 Oct 1950 - 31 Dec 1976 Extent

It are no infos abt peoples in the Casa Rossa camp...
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Laila

Post by Laila »

Hi there
Thank you so much for sending me this information. I already have some information but am very interested in IRO Camp Jesi and also where and how my Mother and Aunt came to be at Alberobello. Is there any way that I can find this out? The are Latvian (Jewish?). My father was a person my mother met at the camp in Jesi though I know nothing about him. She did tell me that my father was a doctor who worked at the camp (surname Musio/Muzio?). How can I find out infor about this camp?
Thanks for your assistance, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.
Bless you.
Laila
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I cannot find the camp of Jesi, but from this website http://www.eclettico.org/israele/urbis/indice.htm
seeming that it was abt a total of 100 camps in the Marche region ... maybe you can write
aami @ eclettico.org ( NO SPACES)

asking abt Jesi camp...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Laila

Post by Laila »

Hi there again
The only information is IRO camp Jesi in the region of Marche. There must have been a convent or catholic hospital close by because I was born with nuns in attendance. I hope this helps?
Bless you
Laila
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I found that it was a little camp in Jesi, but I cannot find more... I searched so much, but I cannot find more infos free on line

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Frankly I cannot find where was the camp in Jesi; however you can write( also in english) here redazione @ vivere.marche.it (NO SPACES) that is a newspaper on line abt Marche and it are also a webpage of Jesi
http://www.viverejesi.it/index.php?page ... sentazione
so they sure know better abt the camp...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is some info on Casa Rossa. (Hi, suanj :lol: )

http://www.petitiononline.com/poiesis/petition.html
Laila

Post by Laila »

Thanks suanj
I cannot speak Italian and this is where I have the problem. I will try to get some more info and then post it. Perhaps it might help next time. I appreciate all your help.
Laila
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I don't know if you have seen this page, but it does reference the camp at Jesi.

http://www.dpcamps.org/italy.html
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are numerous references to Jesi Displaced persons camp in www.google.com..just put in title Jesi Displaced Persons Camp Italy and up will come numerous items of interest about the camp (in english). =Peter=
~Peter~