Certification of Non-existence of Naturalization Record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Certification of Non-existence of Naturalization Record

Post by taxi55 »

Hi All!

I just recevied my GF's Naturalization "No Records Found" from the USCIS Genealogy Section. (Their response time was three months.)

As that letter suggested (and for dual citizenship purposes), now I mailed a letter to the USCIS Records Operations Branch requesting the "certification of non-existence of a naturalization record."

Has anyone recently requested this or know what the turn-around time to receive this certification is?

Thanks for your time!
Sophia
jdaprat

Re: Certification of Non-existence of Naturalization Record

Post by jdaprat »

I have heard this can take anywhere from a month to a year. Can anyone clarify or have any current experience with this? I too just applied for the official "certification of non-existence of a naturalization record."
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by arist »

I was told 4 months for certificate from the genealogy dept. Was also advised to send both requests at the same time...instead of waiting for the letter from genealogy dept. as they both search the same database.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Thank you both for your input! So it's four months to receive the "certificate?" I wish the genealogy dept. had advised me to send both my requests at the same time. Instead, I was instructed to send one and wait for the reply and then send the other (if needed.) Oh well...

In the meantime, I requested a NARA search and they responded within one hour! They also could not locate the naturalization paperwork, so they issued a letter noting that information and should receive it today (They were VERY fast!) Guess I just have to wait another few months for the official certification from USCIS and then I can move forward (hopefully) with Dual Citizenship!
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Taxi55 did you ever get your certification of non-existence of naturalization? I sent my letters last week, and then send another more detailed request letter yesterday. My first batch (sent to 3 different addresses) must have arrived somewhere as I got a call today from DHS USCIS. My first request letter batches didn't have the date of birth or other information, just the FOIA request number and such, thinking they would look up my request and issue the certificate. I used today's telephone call from USCIS to ask many questions. Seems that they conduct their own search as well. They don't just use the determination from previous searches from FOIA or G-10401A or even NARA. I asked the lady how long would this process take, and she indicated that it functions FIFO (first in first out), and they had a back log, not to mention the process would take about a month. I am being optimistic and setting a follow-up in the calendar 3 months out. She said my application is on hold until my next letter arrives with the additional information. This scared me and I hope the two letters can marry up and get my request into the queue.

I would love to hear everyone else's experience with this step/document.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

P.S. Taxi55, I have family in Avella, PA... ;)
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi!

No - unfortunately, I have not heard from USCIS or received anything from them. Still hoping that I will receive the certificate of non-existence of Natualization one of these days! The only item I received so far was the no records found letter from NARA.

It's been about three months since my request to USCIS, so maybe they will send me a nice Christmas gift soon. :)

Was wondering if you would be able to PM the USCIS telephone number that you are using.

Thanks!
Sophia

P.S. That's funny about the Avella, PA.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I wish I had a telephone number for them, they called me. I put my telephone number on my request letter to them, and I am glad they called. I had even asked the worker if I could send her an email, just to get a contact person's email address, but she said, best to just send the documents in the mail and she would put them with my request. :( I tried though. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get your letter soon. It would be a good gauge for my expectations. If has only been two months so far, so maybe you will get yours soon. Lat update on the site showed processing requests from mid-August, and that was written in October, so hopefully they are further along. :) good luck and happy holidays...
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Thanks for your quick reply! I will keep you posted. Happy holidays to you too!
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

p.s. I did find on this site: http://www.info.gov/toll-free.htm the general information number for Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services
General Information
(800) 375-5283
TTY (800) 767-1833

Maybe you can try there? Let us know how it turns out for you...
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Will do. Grazie!!
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Good News! I just received the Certification of Non-existence of Naturalization record from USCIS. Now I can gather the rest of the info I need to move forward. Lots more to take care of for this process. (I did not want to pay money for the other records and translations, etc. until I received this confirmation.) So-o-o-o excited!

Good luck to the rest of you,
Sophia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Congratulations. So that took about 3 months? What does the document look like? Would you mind putting up a PDF of it if possible? I am curious as to what the final result looks like. I hope I can get mine soon, but only submitted a non-vague request a couple of weeks ago. :( Shame it takes so long. Congrats again...
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

It was about three months to receive the first USCIS response of "No Records Found" and then another three months to receive the USCIS Certification of Non-existence. (So six months from start to finish.) However - now I found out that on another thread, a poster mentioned according to which consulate you go to, you might have to get proof of non-existence from the county court.

Any one out there know if the New York Consulate requires county court documentation?

Enjoy your day,
Sophia

P.S.
(Will try to post a pdf - or something later. Have to scan it first.)
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

ok, good luck with the county court stuff. Mine was a bust as well. Not sure it will be required for my application, but did it anyhow. Still waiting to hear from the USCIS on the second go-round (certification).

Yeah if you could post a pdf scan of the document, I am curious as to what I hope to be receiving in 3 months.