NATURALIZATION PAPERS--HELP!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NATURALIZATION PAPERS--HELP!

Post by cdevita »

@ Johnny--I don't know if they need one-but I did one anyway
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Bogie wrote:I've been working on my duel cititzenship for italy for a bit.
I am going though my father who never became an american citizen nor did he live in the states. he still lives in Italy. but i live in the states.
Where were you born? Why can't your father register your birth at his comune?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It's a good question.

I'd like to have some more info, such as:

a) where was the poster born, in the US or in Italy. I presume the US, but it's not entirely clear

b) were his parents married? Is his mother Italian and does she also reside in Italy?

c) If his mother was not a native Italian, but she married his father before April 27, 1983, does she realize that she automatically acquired Italian citizenship at the moment her wedding was official?

d) where was father residing at the time of poster's birth? Possibly he already registered the birth?

To the poster's question, why does the consulate want proof from USCIS, NARA, etc, I suspect they want proof that Italian father was in fact Italian and had not naturalized prior to birth of the poster. It's a reasonable question since they only have applicant's word at this point, especially if applicant was born in US. However, I wonder if a "Certificato di Cittadinanza" (certificate of citizenship) issued by father's comune would be enough to satisfy the consulate.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

VaDeb wrote:Just a reminder

USCIS only has naturalization records that occured after 1906 (I believe it is September 1906). This is why there may be a requirement to get no record letters from courts.

Debbie
I just came across this and didnt realize this fact. Im waiting to hear from USCIS if my GG grandfather naturalized or not. 1906 is when my G grandfather was born and Im hoping he naturalized AFTER 1906. So for anything before then, they will have no records? I already tried the county court and they told me they have no record of him naturalizing. So am I waiting on USCIS for nothing because they wont have the record prior to 1906 anyhow?

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Alicia, I seem to be saying this a lot today, so I am just going to paste from another post:
... you need to be aware that naturalizations occuring prior to July 1, 1912, are especially troublesome. To be brief, prior to that date, the minor children and spouse of the new citizen lost their right to Italian citizenship regardless of whether they were born before or after the date of naturalization.

On or after July 1, 1912, naturalization of an Italian parent did not affect the citizenship potential of his/her children who were born on US soil prior to the date of naturalization.
I am sorry to say that this is one of those finer points which often sinks to the far recesses of my mind and so doesn't always pop out when it should. Nonetheless, it is a matter of Italian law.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im aware of this issue

Alicia
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Mulé wrote:
Bogie wrote:I've been working on my duel cititzenship for italy for a bit.
Where were you born? Why can't your father register your birth at his comune?
I was born in the US. Hmm, i never tried to just see if he would register me there because i have had 3 name changes since i was a kid. so there would be a problem because i would have my citizenship in my birth name, but that hasnt been my legal name in like, 25 years.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

johnnyonthespot wrote:It's a good question.

Hey Johnny..

to your questions..

i was born in the US. my parents married once in the US before 1983 and then again in Italy. My mother is American who live in the US.

c) If his mother was not a native Italian, but she married his father before April 27, 1983, does she realize that she automatically acquired Italian citizenship at the moment her wedding was official?

(I DIDNT KNOW THAT AT ALL to question C)

d) where was father residing at the time of poster's birth? Possibly he already registered the birth?

HE WAS IN THE US ON A TRAVELERS VISA WHEN I WAS BORN.

To the poster's question, why does the consulate want proof from USCIS, NARA, etc, I suspect they want proof that Italian father was in fact Italian and had not naturalized prior to birth of the poster. It's a reasonable question since they only have applicant's word at this point, especially if applicant was born in US. However, I wonder if a "Certificato di Cittadinanza" (certificate of citizenship) issued by father's comune would be enough to satisfy the consulate.
I HAVE MY FATHERS CERTIFICATO DI CITTADINAZA. BUT THEY STILL WANT THE PROFF FROM THE USCIS AND OTHERS.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Bogie,

Your mother became an Italian citizen the moment she married your father. It is possible that all she needs to do is present herself to the consulate, marriage certifcate in hand (preferably the Italian one) along with her own birth certificate and apply for a passport.

Once that is done, she can easily register your birth and that, as they say, is that.
Carmine

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Bogie & johnnyonthespot, how do we notify a moderator to split this thread in two? I am also interested in how this works out as it seems Bogie should already be an Italian being born of an Italian, regardless of name change.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Mulé wrote:Bogie & johnnyonthespot, how do we notify a moderator to split this thread in two? I am also interested in how this works out as it seems Bogie should already be an Italian being born of an Italian, regardless of name change.
Hmmmm, i am a newbie so i'm not sure how to split this thread.
Did i start a topic on a wrong thread?? if so sorry :?
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Bogie wrote:Hmmmm, i am a newbie so i'm not sure how to split this thread.
No worries, I am sure the OP doesn't mind. But your question deserves it's own thread. :)
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Mulé wrote:
Bogie wrote:Hmmmm, i am a newbie so i'm not sure how to split this thread.
No worries, I am sure the OP doesn't mind. But your question deserves it's own thread. :)
I got some good answers maybe I'll just start up a new thread....there's prob some other people in my position or who have been.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

But what should i call the new Thread??
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

start a new thread with whatever title you want. :)

Dual Citizenship for a US born son of an Italian father

or something like that. Don't let me dictate your thread title. I think you should already be considered an Italian, should your father register your birth.