Freight Records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Freight Records

Post by cefalo2 »

Does anyone know where I would look for freight records ... or even if something like that exists?

I'm trying to track a large stone fountain (about 24 ft. in diameter) that was carved in Revere, MA and scheduled to ship to Italy (probably from Boston to Naples) in mid-May of 1915. I'm not sure if it arrived ... or if it even left the States as scheduled.

Any suggestions would be most helpful as I don't even know where to begin to look.

Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Freight Records

Post by PeterTimber »

Have you written the comune in Italy where it was intended to be erected? =Peter=
~Peter~
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

Hi Peter,

No, it was never erected in the comune.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Can you seek out the name of the manufacturer who carved the piece?

The reason why I responded is that I recall the story of the statue ITALIA which graced the Italian Pavilion during the 1939 Worlds fair at NYC. The Statue was packed to be shipped to Italy when the fair ended and was brought to the Pier in NYC for shipment on the REX. The war intervened and the statue remained tucked away inthe corner of the pier watched over by the longshoreman. When the war ended, Italy was not inclined to bring back a fascist statue to post war Italy. A NJ town decided to acquire it somehow and put it up in the town park. While it was being put on a truck, an accident occurred and it split in two. No longer wanted it was dumped somewhere in NJ in the 50's.....What I am saying to you is what is the story? =Peter=
~Peter~
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

Hi Peter,

I just sent you a pm.