How to get birth certificate for gggrandmother fr Cannalonga

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Fred48
Rookie
Rookie

How to get birth certificate for gggrandmother fr Cannalonga

Post by Fred48 »

Hi,

I would like to get a copy of my wife's grandmother and also her great grandmother. I know the great-grandmother was born in Cannalonga and I am not sure of the grandmother. On the ship manifest it mention Novi Velia. So is it Cannalonga or Novi Velia?

Is there a specific address for these birth certificates and how much information did I have to provide. For the grandmother I have the appproxiate year and of couse the mother and father. For the greatgrandmother I have the year and maiden name. Is that suffice?

Thanks!!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: How to get birth certificate for gggrandmother fr Cannal

Post by PeterTimber »

Both Cannalonga and Novi Velia are two separate comunes (towns) but birth records will be in the town of origin as well as marriage and death records.

Sans any names I was unable to double check the ellisisland.org websites but no matter you can do your own research.

Go towww.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italian-form-letters.html for form letters to send to the approrpiate comune
They are free of charge and if you go to these two websites you will then be able toselect the town you wish or even send letters to both towns if you are not sure.
www.tuttitalia.it/campania/26-cannalonga and www.tuttitalia.it/campania/37-novi-velia

Send the letters to UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE to the address beneath MUNICIPIO

=Peter=
~Peter~
Fred48
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fred48 »

Peter,

Thank you for your input regarding how to get birth certificates. It was very diffficult to find the names (Potesta) in Ellis Island. Someone on this site pointed me to them. When the names were copied from the mainfest they tried their best but Potesta became Poutlo.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Did you try www.castlegarden,org for a check ofthe Potesta surname for arrivals at NYC as well?? =Peter=
~Peter~