Paperwork for Italian Passport

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Paperwork for Italian Passport

Post by leash »

Just want to clarify- when they send your documents away to Italy, do they send just the original translated ones or both. I am assuming its the same process in Australia as it is in the USA.
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano
I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Paperwork for Italian Passport

Post by johnnyonthespot »

leash wrote:Just want to clarify- when they send your documents away to Italy, do they send just the original translated ones or both. I am assuming its the same process in Australia as it is in the USA.
There are so many things about this proces that we can only guess at because the consulate's are not very forthcoming with details of the operation.

In Italy, all vital records are held at the comune-level; therefore it seems safe to presume that the original documents pertaining directly to the applicant (birth & marriage certificates) go to the comune, with photocopies maintained in the consulate's records. As to the other documents (those for previous generations), my suspicion is that they are held by the consulate.

This concept can be viewed in light of the actual document requirements: when I submitted in New York in mid-2008, the only documents which required translations and apostiles were my own birth and marriage certificates and my wife's birth certificate (since we married before April 2?, 1983, her citiizenship was automatic once my own was approved). My lineage was Myself -> US-born father -> Italy-born grandfather.