Jure Sanguinis Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
VinceB

Jure Sanguinis Question

Post by VinceB »

I have been researching this and I think I fully understand if I would qualify but I am having a hard time to find all the information that I need. I know I would not qualify through my grandmother since my Father was born in 1933. My Father and both of my grandparents have been deceased since the 1980's and I have no other family here to help me. I had always assumed my grandfather was born in Italy but he was not. I found out via the Ellis Island website he arrived in America in 1924 and per the 1930 census he was still considered an alien. The biggest shock came when I saw he was born in Brazil in 1898 and not Italy. I have his social security info and it also states he was born in Brazil. I have found out that a lot of northern Italians went to Brazil around that time to work in the coffee industry. I also found his fathers name and that's all I can find. My first question would be if he was born outside of Italy does that immediately disqualify me? Also, I can not determine if his father ever naturalized in Brazil or if he or my Great Grandfather ever returned to Italy to become Italian citizens again if and when they ever renounced it . Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Vince
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Re: Jure Sanguinis Question

Post by Mulé »

I am not an expert and I am making some assumptions based on information not presented.

The general idea is that if your GF was born of Italians, he would be considered an Italian.

You should really lay out your facts and case in more detail.

Is it your maternal grandfather who was born in Brazil in 1898?
Do you have information about his parents? Were they both Italian citizens?
How long did they stay in Brazil?
Your case might be extra difficult as it will be hard to prove that his parents never naturalized in Brazil, nor the US. A naturalization before 1912 in any country would spell trouble.

Answers to your question:
My first question would be if he was born outside of Italy does that immediately disqualify me?
No.

There are many links and sites, like the consulates that will spell out what documents you need for which people for your path. I would start to get the path into order with as many facts as possible, so you can see where holes exist and find the extra information. Without knowing more details, it is hard to know if you qualify or not.
VinceB

Post by VinceB »

Thank you for your response. This is quite complicated as you can see. My Grandfather would be my Paternal GF.

I do not have any information about his parents except for his fathers name. That is it. Nothing else. Also I don't know if they were both Italian citizens or how long they/him stayed in Brazil. I have just about given up because I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to obtain the proper documentation that I would need. I just thought posting here someone else might have had similar circumstances.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It would be a mistake to give up so soon. Although you give little information, the fact that your family ended up in the States seems to indicate that emigration to the U.S. was the family's ultimate goal. I doubt your ggf naturalized in Brazil. The only complication you have here is obtaining proof of no naturalization in Brazil for your ggf and your gf's Brazilian birth certificate. This is all doable.

Don't waste time trying to determine if your ggf and/or gf returned to Italy to reacquire Italian citizenship. That scenario is unlikely. Address your efforts to obtaining your ggf's Italian birth certificate, and then move on from there. Your gf's birth certificate may have the information you need.
VinceB

Post by VinceB »

Thanks for the encouragement mler. I just wish when I was younger I would have asked all these questions of my grandparents. I wonder if anyone here has an idea/website/contact on how I can obtain the proof of no naturalization in Brazil for my ggf, locate my gf's Brazilian birth certificate and also obtain my ggf's Italian birth certificate. Any help would be most greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!
Vince
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

Vince--I had a similar problem finding my GGM's BC from Uruguay. What ultimately worked for me was finding an Uruguayan genealogical forum. I was able to find a local in Uruguay to help me out.

Try these links, and post as much info as you can find about your GF:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/brazil/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... -cntrl.htm

Good luck.