No Naturalization record requirements

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Re: No Naturalization record requirements

Post by Drew927 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:In reverse order,

1) the ship manifest is useless for your dual citizenship application and,

2) I don't think the Borgianni manifest is your grandfather's. I simply cannot think of any reason why he would list an entirely different person as his spouse, other than the possible intent to "smuggle" her into the US as a favor. Perhaps one of my cohorts here can address the likelhood of such an event.
I am glad that the ship manifest is useless, because I can't find it. And I agree that the manifest is not in fact my decendent.

Thanks for your input. It is very helpful to be able to bounce ideas of someone. This site has been very helpful and informative.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I, for one, think there may be something to be gained by re-starting your grandparent's research at the beginning.

If you are up for it, please start a new thread, telling us what you know with certainty about your grandparents and then let's see where that takes us.

Names as you know them.

Dates and places of birth as you know them exclusive of any research already done.

Dates and places of death; age at death

Names and birth years of siblings and/or children

Anything else based on family history.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

I dont think i'm up for restarting the entire search. I already have the birth and death records for both grandparents, their marriage Certificate and Extract. My grandmothers Naturalization Documents and a certified copy of the 1930 Census. I am 100 percent that the information I have collected is correct. But if you think I can learn something new, what the heck. Where do you suggest I post the new thread?
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Placed the order for my grandfather's death certificate (long form) this evening via Vitalchek. I'll fax the copy of my driver's license to the Greenwich Town Hall tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed.

Has anyone used the short forms (death, birth, marriage) licenses and had them rejected by the NYC Consulate?

Also, are the marriage licenses (my grandparents, parents and mine) really needed?

None of the spouses will be applying for citizenship, just my siblings, myself and all of our children (all under 18).
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Just got my Fed Ex response from Vitalchek.....

The death certificate I ordered for my grandfather is exactly the same certificate I got from the Greenwich Town Hall?? :?

In Connecticut, evidently the "Short Form" is the "Long Form".

No mention of the certificate if my grandfather was an Italian citizen, it just lists his place of birth as "Italy".

My father's birth certificate lists my grandfather's place of birth as Rose, Cosenza, Italy.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Just got off the phone with the CT Dept of Health, Vital Statistics Unit...

The Town issued death certificate is the only one issued, the State Dept. of Health doesnt issue another document. The employee never heard of a "Long Form" death certificate.