Amending an Error

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 18
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 05:38

Amending an Error

Post by Rastafeyd » 20 Mar 2010, 18:18

Hey everyone,

I recently received my great grandparents' marriage certificate in the mail. Unfortunately, the last name of my great grandmother's last name is incorrect. In fact, it's not even very close Rutherford vs Redford. She is outside of the italian lineage, but this is an important document. I'll be applying at the Chicago Consulate.

More information is that the document comes from Ohio, where marriage certificates are kept at the local level not at the statewide vital statistics office. Has anyone had any experience trying to amend a document? The Italian consulate website requires an "Affidavit to amend a record" requested from the vital statistics office be attached. However, will I need to get a lawyer to make such a change since it will be from a Probate Court not vital statistics? I called the Probate court and was told I'd need to contact a lawyer about changing it, but I was wondering if I could make the request to amend a record through the vital statistics office instead and skip the lawyer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 259
Joined: 15 Mar 2009, 18:24

Re: Amending an Error

Post by Drew927 » 20 Mar 2010, 19:19

I had the same problem with my Fathers birth certificate, however I'm in NY. I went to the Department of Health's vital records correction department and explained the situation. They asked for my grandfathers birth and marriage certificate in addition to my dual citizenship application. Fortunately I had them all and just paid the fee.

I don't know if that will work in Chicago, but it's worth a try.

Good Luck

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests