Success in Los Angeles!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Success in Los Angeles!

Post by cdevita »

Just arrived back from Los Angeles meeting with Italian Consulate. Whole meeting lasted about 20 minutes. The representative was very nice, took and examined each generation of family documents, looked at the naturalization docs for a moment or two and then said, "Everything looks good, it will take me approx 8 months to get everything properly processed and you should be receiving your letter at that time. Then you need to come to LA for fingerprinting and go through the passport process."

Many thanks to all of you who have helped me prompt responses to my questions and talked me through my fears...

It all seemed a bit anti-climactic. She even forgot to get the naturalization docs until I reminded her she had not seen them yet! (She could not believe she had overlooked that! :)

Will everything now be gone through with a finer tooth comb? I felt she went through everything very quickly, told me how my husband was going to need to proceed if her wanted citizenship, and my mother, talked with my daughter about going to university in Roma. She did catch the fact that in AZ the parents names are not on the marriage certificates so she had me fill out a form right then and there. She also had me sign all of the consolato forms.

So-thanks it, I guess! The waiting begins anew!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Success in Los Angeles!

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Congratulations!

I am so happy to hear your meeting went well and hope the next eight months pass quickly.

Now what? Seriously - after spending nearly two full years getting my documentation together, going back and forth to the NYC consulate, etc, once I had my passport in hand I was like, Okay, what do I do with my free time now?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

@johnnyonthespot...I AGREE!

Do you think the next 8 months are formality or so you think that NOW they look at the records to see if there's anything that is going to be a problem?
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

Auguri!

AFAIK, your application will spend the next several months in queue. When your app's time comes, the necessary paperwork will be done to get your citizenship recognized. Occasionally, other posters on other sites on the subject have reported having their consulate (I don't remember if this was in LA or not) notify them with a problem. I would be surprised if they go over apps with a fine toothed comb at a future date, but I don't know for sure. My app was filed in LA almost seven months ago, and I haven't heard anything. I'm hoping no news is good news.

Did Raffaella mention what month they were working on right now in LA? I was originally told 6-7 months for the letter, but many people get told a timeline and have waited much longer (sometimes less, too).

Congrats on a successful application!
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

Thank you--she is saying 8 months! She even opened up her cabinet doors to show me the stacks of paperwork! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Now what? Seriously - after spending nearly two full years getting my documentation together, going back and forth to the NYC consulate, etc, once I had my passport in hand I was like, Okay, what do I do with my free time now?
You continue doing genealogy on the family that wasnt tied to citizenship :) At least thats what i will do. I have many leads on both sides of my family that Ive set aside for now. There is always more to research!

Congratulations!

Alicia
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

I am going to do the same thing-I must admit, there isn't the same gusto for a goal as there was for completion of the citizenship, but I am going to trace another grandparent as all four of my grandparents, GGP's etc. were/are Italian. I actually could have gone in two different directions. One to Montemesola and one to Sicily. The info for Montemesola came more quickly!
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

and I am going to stay on this very active board and see if I can be help to anyone as johnnyonthespot was to me :)
mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mazzini »

Hi Cdevita,

in another post, you mentioned possible problems with your GFF. did you go through your ggf to your gf and then your parent?

both my ggf and gf (at 14) came here together. my Gf became a citizen before my mother was born and I was born after '48.

I have no info on my gff, although I can get info from family if need be.

so how did you trace your citizenship?

just some last minute nervousness for my 4/20 LA appointment.
mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mazzini »

Cdevita,

I found it. your GFF was born in Italy and GF born in USA. not my situation. whew!

these boards are great, but sometimes your mind plays tricks on you and you come up with a problem that isn't there.

my searching has been very easy compared to other folks. I may be trying to invent a problem for myself.

BUT cdevita,

you mentioned a problem with AZ marriage certificate not having parents on them.

I was married in TX. no parents are mentioned on the license or the app, and we were married in 1980. I hope there's not a problem there since my wife is going through me automatically, I hope.

What did they tell you and what form did you have to fill out and whose marriage was that?

Thanks in advance.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

No problems on the marriage certificate. She had me fill out a quick form while I was there which just names the bride and grooms parents and the cities they were born in. This was attached to the marriage certificate. She mentioned several states routinely do not provide this information.

I, too, had the same nervousness and still do--it all seemed too easy based on the amount of work I put into it!

She simply asks for the certificates one at a time and you give them you her. She really does not look at anything to any great degree at that time.

Good luck--my only suggestion is if you are flying into LAX the day of your appt., take a cab do not rent a car.
mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mazzini »

thanks!

I just started getting my documents at the beginning of January of this year. so from starting to appointment, it'll take just over four months.

and the stuff I found out about my family that no one knew!

and luckily, I live here.

it just seemed too easy - the only pain were the NYC apostilles which I am having someone do for me this week.