Emigration from Italy to Brazil abt. 1870

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dancotton

Emigration from Italy to Brazil abt. 1870

Post by dancotton »

Do records exist for emigration from Italy to Brazil in about 1870 to 1880? Travel between these area's were done freely. Because of other Civil Records did the government keep track of those immigrating?
Fornaciari

Re: Emigration from Italy to Brazil abt. 1870

Post by Fornaciari »

Certainly yes Sir. Millions of Italian immigrants gained entry in Brazil from 1870 to 1895 and also during the II War. In fact on the early years of the immigration period, most of them were directed to low demographic distribution destinations (very young cities or villages all over the country), so in that time some actual Brazilians cities did not exist and those were constructed and developed by the immigrants work force. Brazilians descendants of the Italian, German, Japanese and other usually start to trace their roots based on their Grandparents birth place, assuming they were born in Brazil, this way they can restrict their family research to a specific place and also count with the records of the Brazilian States Public Archives which usually are responsible for planning and coordinating the collection of documents that have been created and gathered those State Government Executive Branch, as well as private documents of public interest.

Let's Suppose someone's interested on reaserching his/her family history. So he/she also knows their Grandparents were born in the State of Minas Gerais -Brasil and knows his/her GreatGrandparents emigrated from Italy, following this logical thought a research can be made on The Public Archives of State his ascendents were born - in this case in The Public Archives of the State of Minas Gerais - Brazil.

So in Brazil there are a lot of institutions entitled of Public Archives, they are usually managed by each Brazilian State Government authority, but there are also some private and non-profit organizations dedicated on gathering documents of public interest.

Below are some Portuguese to English words, helpful when the research results are displayed and contains some of those words:

Helpful words in portuguese while making a research or reading search results and terms:

Nome = Name | Sobrenome = Surname | Família = Family | Data de chegada = Date of arrival | Destino = Destiny (usually the colony if it already existed in the date of arrival of the immigrant). | Colonia = Colony | Nacionalidade: Nationality | Ano = Year | Localidade (Lugar) = Place | Cidade = City | Idade = Age | Sexo = Gender | Masculino = Male | Feminino = Famale | Idioma = Language | Pai = father | Mãe = Mother | Filho = Son | Filha = Daughter | Esposo (Chefe) = Husband | Esposa = Wife | Casado = Married | Solteiro = Single | Navio = Ship | Pesquisar (Buscar) = Search | Iniciais = Initials | Filtrar = Filter

Public Archives web site's of some Brazilian States:

The Public Archives of the State of Minas Gerais - Brazil:
http://www.siaapm.cultura.mg.gov.br

Difficulty Level to make researchs on this site: Very Easy (must know and type only the surname so that the site can return results such as list of passengers etc).

-------------------------------------------//------------------------------------

The Public Archives of the State of São Paulo - Brazil:
http://www.arquivoestado.sp.gov.br/imigracao

Link to search by name on the site: http://www.arquivoestado.sp.gov.br/imig ... esenca.php

In this site you can filter the research by name, surname, nationality, ship and date of arrival.

Difficulty Level to make researchs on this site: Complex (must know lots of information so that the site returns results).

-------------------------------------------//------------------------------------

São Paulo's Memorial of the Immigrant:

http://www.memorialdoimigrante.org.br

The Memorial of the Immigrant, body attached to the Departamento de Museus e Arquivos (Museums and Archives Department) of the Culture Secretary of the State of São Paulo -Brazil.

Difficulty Level to make researchs on this site: Easy (must know only the exactly spelling of the surname or name so that the site can return results such as list of passengers etc).

The Public Archives of the State of Espirito Santo - Brazil:

http://www.ape.es.gov.br/imigrantes/

Difficulty Level to make researchs on this site: Very Easy (must know only the initials of the surname or the surname itself so that the site can return results such as list of passengers etc).

The Public Archives of the State of Paraná - Brazil:

http://www.arquivopublico.pr.gov.br/mod ... onteudo=56

Difficulty Level to make researchs on this site: Very Easy (Type the initials of the surname and choose the nationality so that the site can return results such as list of passengers etc).

Well that's it, and as Brazil has 26 Sates its good to now a little bit more about its regions.

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasil

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regi%C3%B5es_do_Brasil
dancotton

Post by dancotton »

Dear Sir,
Thank you for the very thorough reply and description foe finding Italian family embers traveling into and out of Brazil. There will be several challenges before suceeding, just establishing the correct name of the person, but trail and error may produce results.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://213.212.128.168/radici/ie/defaultie_e.htm

This databank might be of use to you.
kristin1788

Post by kristin1788 »

I am also looking for family that settled in Brazil and then immigrated to NJ. I do know that one of my great great uncles was born in Sao Paolo. How every I do not know how to find his birth certificate. And being I can't read Spanish is having a tough time understanding what I am trying to look for.
kristin1788

Post by kristin1788 »

I am also looking for family that settled in Brazil and then immigrated to NJ. I do know that one of my great great uncles was born in Sao Paolo. How every I do not know how to find his birth certificate. And being I can't read Spanish is having a tough time understanding what I am trying to look for.
Fornaciari

Post by Fornaciari »

Hi kristin, before you start any research that involves the possibility of having one of his ascendants born/arrived in Brazil befero immigrating to USA, try to identify the places of birth - marriage and death of your closest ancestors, such as your grandparents and great-grandparents. If you do not know their names, check out the your parents birth certificate, or either, I assume you know the part your family that has Italian ancestry, so if it's the paternal line try to focus only on this one .. if it's the mother do the same .. Before anything else is also very important to know the rules and laws for the granting of the Italian citizenship, you can find many threads about it right here in the forum. So as soon as you keep finding the certificates of marital status of your ancestors you'll be stepping into the past, and then if you notice some or any variation of names from the english language to Italian or Portuguese you will have a kind of "most tangible data" to start a possible search. Importantly, maybe your Italian ascendent gained entry in Brazil when he was a child together with his Italian parents before immigranting to US/New Jersey, or maybe he have arrived when he was an adult and married here in Brazil before immigrating to the United States . There are many possibilities, and you will only get closer to a concrete fact if you can assemble the certificates of civil status of all those that preceded you.

So my tip is to start the search through the civil registration records in New Jersey or other American cities first, if there's any occurance of the change of marital status in any other place, I mean, your granfather maybe was born in new york and then later as an adult moved to new jersey, then later married in new jersey and so on...you have to check out the certificates data carefully and see if you can find the places of origin of your ancestors, along the information in the certificates you can also know where the document were issued, the name of the notary who have signed it etc., I'm not sure how the civil records are settled in the US (birth, death, marriage certificates), but if you can get in contact with the departaments or officials who are responsible for those acts you can call the notary office to help you on your research. If you can tell us the Italian surname of your family maybe we can help...

Hope you can solve this situation as long as possible.

Keep informing in the thread the evolution of your research and if the information about the civil status of any member of your family has links with Brazil's civil records let us know...

Best regards,
Adriano.
alecdmurray

Post by alecdmurray »

kristin1788 wrote:I am also looking for family that settled in Brazil and then immigrated to NJ. I do know that one of my great great uncles was born in Sao Paolo. How every I do not know how to find his birth certificate. And being I can't read Spanish is having a tough time understanding what I am trying to look for.
Hi Kristin,

I am in a similar situation with my family traveling through Brazil before the the US. If you do not have any original Brazilian documents, you will find your search difficult. The vital records system in Brazil is very different as it is operated by private businesses called cartorios. You will need to call or send a letter to each and every that you suspect that your family may have used. Some are new but purchased the historical records of another so it would be hard to track down older documents. There will most definitely be a fee for a search and to provide you with a record should the search be successful. There must be hundreds of cartorios in the city of Sao Paulo alone, and if you are not certain that it was in the actual capital city, just the state, than you will have to request searches from possibly thousands of cartorios.

I was lucky to have the original documents of my Italian/Brazilian family and just needed to call to request new copies for the process. My documents were also not very old, just between the late 1890's the 1950's, that made it easier as well.

The next step beyond getting the documents themselves is the issue that I am trying to resolve. The consulate tells me that I must authenticate my Brazilian documents in the district in which they were issued (for me Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro). After calling the consulates in Brazil, neither will perform any type of authentication through mail and one must travel to Brazil, set an appointment, and have them authorize in person both the documents and their respective translations.

Good luck,

ADM

PS. Brazil speaks Portuguese, not Spanish
Fornaciari

Post by Fornaciari »

Hi Kristin, first of all, sorry for the following questions, but what do you intend searching for those documents? Is it for the Italian/European citizenship process or you just want these information and documents so that you can complete yours/an genealogical tree?

I mean, here in Brazil civilian registration records or certificates are very organized and kept in safe in the (Cartórios de Registro Civil), there are thousand of "Cartórios" settled in all Brazilian cities, even if is a city with less than 1.000 inhabitants...It's important to mention that Brazil, as such the U.S is divided into States, and its States are divided into Cities, and the cities are divided into districts, so every single district has its owns Cartórios de Registro Civil, if its a big and very populated district, it is possíble to find more than 5 /10 Cartórios, so if someone wants to find a certificate it is important to know the exactly district or unless the exactly city.

There are all kinds of notaries such as:

Cartório de Notas (Notary Public) -- In charge of contracts, power of attorney, wills, notarization and certification of documents...and so on.

Cartório de Registro Civil (Civilian Registry Notary) -- Deals with birth, marriages, death, adoption, citizenship, opening of business ..

After 1870 in Brazil, the Brazilian Constitution established the obligation of registering civil acts such as birth, marriage and death, in that time The "Cartórios" were privite departaments, which had license to make money and were a synonym of privilege, they were a concession from the state to people who were cozy with those in power. Once granted, the benefit used to become a hereditary feud as it could be transferred from generation to generation. The first Cartórios to appear in the states of Sao Paulo e Rio de Janeiro, generaly have the same adress till nowadays..So if you need to find a certain certificate dated to 1880 / 1896 and if you have the name of the person, the parents name and an approximate date of birth, marriage or death you will probaly find this document (certificate).

The new 1988 Constitution changed this, as new requirements that owners of the establishments to be accepted must pass through competitive examination being a bachelor so that he/she can apply to work for the city as a notary.

Anyway, without the name of the person, and valuable information about his/her origin such as parents' names and an approximate date of birth, marriage or death is really difficult, not to say impossible to find someone's records of civilian registration in Brazil.
Fornaciari

Post by Fornaciari »

Hi kristin, searching on our dear google, I've found this site:

http://www.myitalianfamily.com

Maybe it can help you a lot, read it carefully and perhaps you'll be able to arrange things on its right way...

And again, if you need anything from Brazil, maybe I can help you..don't hesitate to ask...

Best Wishes!

Good Luck.

See you!
rjrn40

Post by rjrn40 »

I too have family that immigrated from Italy to Minas Gerais. It appears they were in Brazil in the early 1880's, had a child and returned to Brucciano, Molazzana, Lucca, Italy in 1889. They returned to Brazil and were taken off the Italian records in 1902. This is where I have come to a stop as I cannot find any records in Brazil.